• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

Eldus

Hard to compare with how it's set up. I only have one center channel 8351. It seems to go louder, but not as deep, but that could also be me "hearing" what I expect with the specs which I looked at many times before getting the 8351B.

I wish there were cheap automatic software to volume level multiple speakers. I'd love to host a shootout between the 8260, 8351B, 8331, Kali IN-8 V2, and Kali IN-5... Maybe cut the bass off around 50hz and see who wins, and move up and down and left and right to see how the dispersion is. I think I even have a black sheer cloth to obscure things and enough stands to put them all on the same level.
It would also be hard to get the placement consistent as the room takes control relative to their position and such.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would also be hard to get the placement consistent as the room takes control relative to their position and such.
Yes, without a carousel like Harman has anything is "compromised". Seems infinitely better than nothing or the guessing from memories of conventions. Probably do the 8260 slightly low, then get the 8351b horizontal and slightly above it to get those two tweeters as close as possible. Not sure about the others if off to the sides is better or vertically aligning them and sitting near enough to avoid some of the ceiling and floor refleciton.

Last edited:

Ardrazzt

For those who have the 8361 as LCR, Would you mind to share the photos?

Olius

For those who have the 8361 as LCR, Would you mind to share the photos?
jhenderson0107 posted some photos on page 85:

Ardrazzt

jhenderson0107 posted some photos on page 85:
Thank you

Sieniek

I chose the MiniDSP SHD Studio version. I'm feeding it with my computer as a USB source and the output is via AES/EBU digital to the Genelecs. It allows me to use the volume control on the MiniDSP and you have the marked benefit of being able to do DSP to equalize the output using DIRAC Live. I also stream via Roon to the MiniDSP over an ethernet connection. It works superbly.
And if you don't mind to ask you an question:

How to add Rythmik subwoofers to such a system if you have Minidsp SHD Studio ? Is it possible at all ? Or would I need something different than that Minidsp ?

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And if you don't mind to ask you an question:

How to add Rythmik subwoofers to such a system if you have Minidsp SHD Studio ? Is it possible at all ? Or would I need something different than that Minidsp ?
Simply add a separate DAC between the Studio and your sub(s). An inexpensive ~100€/$ one should be more than enough.

Sieniek

Simply add a separate DAC between the Studio and your sub(s). An inexpensive ~100€/$ one should be more than enough.
Thank you for your reply and a great advice. I didn't thought about that before and I've thought it would be better to have Minidsp SHD full for that purpose but you're obviously right.

From what I understand AES/EBU out 1/2 from SHD Studio will go to AES/EBU in of Genelecs and SPDIF out 3/4 from SHD Studio will go to SPDIF in of any stereo DAC ?

If that's how I understand it seems like the best available solution and there is a Dirac Live on the board extra, nice.

I was thinking more of using Dirac Live Bass Control on windows through usb from my laptop to Minidsp SHD Studio. Would that be possible in such an audio chain ?

Once again, many thanks ! You've cleared my mind and now I know what to do.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From what I understand AES/EBU out 1/2 from SHD Studio will go to AES/EBU in of Genelecs and SPDIF out 3/4 from SHD Studio will go to SPDIF in of any stereo DAC ?

If that's how I understand it seems like the best available solution and there is a Dirac Live on the board extra, nice.

I was thinking more of using Dirac Live Bass Control on windows through usb from my laptop to Minidsp SHD Studio. Would that be possible in such an audio chain ?

Once again, many thanks ! You've cleared my mind and now I know what to do.
No problem! Sounds about right.

For me, one of the main selling points of MiniDSP is that you don't have to keep a PC in the chain (except when taking measurements). If you plan to use a laptop + DLBC another option would be to use a USB digital audio interface. Perhaps something to consider. Can't give you any specific recommendations (since I only have lowly analog-only Genelecs :)) but you probably find some on this thread.

Sieniek

No problem! Sounds about right.

For me, one of the main selling points of MiniDSP is that you don't have to keep a PC in the chain (except when taking measurements). If you plan to use a laptop + DLBC another option would be to use a USB digital audio interface. Perhaps something to consider. Can't give you any specific recommendations (since I only have lowly analog-only Genelecs :)) but you probably find some on this thread.
I agree with you about Minidsp SHD Studio as I've had in the past SHD full and it was good to have Dirac live working no matter which player or source I was using.

So is that mean that I could still use SHD Studio with DLBC running from pc then ? Or there would be any problems or downsides compared to USB digital audio interface ?

As I understand a USB digital audio interface should be a cheaper option than SHD Studio.

I assume I would need one with AES/EBU channel 1/2 output and XLR or RCA (or both if possible) channel 3/4 output ?

Thanks again ☺️

Edit: ohh forgive me it looks like I didn't understand everything correctly I think.
Did you meant more like this:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/digi...i2s-aes-2x-tcxo-otg-24bit-192khz-p-10547.html

? This way I would connect AES/EBU to Genelec active speakers and SPDIF output or TOSLINK output to another stereo DAC for connection of my Rythmik subs and then doing my 2.2 DLBC and all DSP from my laptop right ?

I'm sorry I'm still finding myself a newbie in a lot of audio but there is never too late to learn

Attachments

• audiophonics-xmos-u208-digital-interface-usb-i2s-aes-2x-tcxo-otg-24bit-192khz.jpg
    audiophonics-xmos-u208-digital-interface-usb-i2s-aes-2x-tcxo-otg-24bit-192khz.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Hmast

Hello,

Is there some whitepaper or anything related to the speakers of the Ones?

If not, do you know at least the material used for each speakers? I guess the bass ones are made of paper, the tweeter is a metal dome (?), but what about the medium?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there some whitepaper or anything related to the speakers of the Ones?
Genelec offers lots of info on their website. There is some cone info.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly, I cannot find any info about the medium's material in these specs.
Is this not what you asked for?

Treble
Driver type
8361A treble driver metal dome (coaxial)
Midrange
Driver type
Coaxial
8361A midrange driver cone (coaxial)
Bass
Driver type
Racetrack
Dual 263 x 137 mm (103/8 x 53/8 in) obround cones
Count

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly, I cannot find any info about the medium's material in these specs.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean by medium?

Hmast

Oops, thanks Pearljam5000, yes I meant midrange. Medium might be a word from my native language I thought to be English as well.

outfaced

Please do and post results.

About the interesting topic Dirac vs GLM.
Because i didn't get the GLM kit right away and also was actually convinced that Dirac must be more than enough I listened my 8351B for few months first only over Dirac.
After all i decided to test the GLM ... and i am pretty surprised first from the big difference and then that the clear winner is GLM. Far better image-soundstage and much more balanced sound. Dirac sounds more thin and flat on one side and to focused in some way. Even more surrprising - GLM did it better with the bass.
I played with the alredy over GLM calibrated speakers to calibrate them furthermore with Dirac :) ... and got messurabale and audible worse result as with GLM only.

Last edited:
Top Bottom