• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
FB_IMG_1673850625709.jpg
FB_IMG_1673850629757.jpg
FB_IMG_1673850637361.jpg
FB_IMG_1673850632310.jpg

Wow

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Kain

Do Genelec dealers provide discounts or only sell at MSRP? I know JBL Pro dealers can provide some very sizeable discounts.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do Genelec dealers provide discounts or only sell at MSRP? I know JBL Pro dealers can provide some very sizeable discounts.
That seems to be case but varies by Country. Canada seems to have some of the best deals.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I buy them in Canada as a tourist, will I get the VAT and all the taxes back?
No you would get charged that in you home country but you would get the HST from Canada back.

RobL

Forum Donor
No VAT here but the HST (sales tax) refund for tourists on personal goods stopped in 2007 unfortunately. Even so, I paid about US$8200 for my 8361’s taxes in.

Any negatives? Hardly. Old well recorded music sounds great. Modern music sound great. Only badly produced music sounds really bad. I'm not talking about compression, but pop music that was overly processed and a truely bad recording. Like Rita Ora's New Look for example.
Yeah, it's such a tragedy. Even the first track off of Phoenix has highly audible clipping. Did she hire Kesha's producer or something!?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Curiosity got the best of me.

I listened to the Genelec 8351's today and all I can say is: stunning! There is no other word for it. The imaging, clarity is beyond compare, at least as far as I have experienced. Between the 8030 and the 8351 is a big gap imo. Well worth it.

Any negatives? Hardly. Old well recorded music sounds great. Modern music sound great. Only badly produced music sounds really bad. I'm not talking about compression, but pop music that was overly processed and a truely bad recording. Like Rita Ora's New Look for example. The rest was absolute pure realism that made me forget about all of the equipment and just enjoy the music and performance. I'll say it again: stunning.

Ps: they didn't have the 8361; therefore I chose the 8351 to listen to.
My experience exactly (but with 8361)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience exactly (but with 8361)

Same, but with the granddaddy 8260... and now the 8351b... and the 8331 when there's not deep bass.

Piatnik

Forum Donor
Curiosity got the best of me.

I listened to the Genelec 8351's today and all I can say is: stunning! There is no other word for it. The imaging, clarity is beyond compare, at least as far as I have experienced. Between the 8030 and the 8351 is a big gap imo. Well worth it.

Any negatives? Hardly. Old well recorded music sounds great. Modern music sound great. Only badly produced music sounds really bad. I'm not talking about compression, but pop music that was overly processed and a truely bad recording. Like Rita Ora's New Look for example. The rest was absolute pure realism that made me forget about all of the equipment and just enjoy the music and performance. I'll say it again: stunning.

Ps: they didn't have the 8361; therefore I chose the 8351 to listen to.
I agree that you have the feeling that there is no more hardware, just music.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Studio Economik
Really? I find their prices are almost always full retail. Although I did once catch them with a significant pricing mistake and they honoured the order which was cool of them.

RobL

Forum Donor
Really? I find their prices are almost always full retail. Although I did once catch them with a significant pricing mistake and they honoured the order which was cool of them.
If you use their “Get a quote” button, they will get back to you with their best price.
I had them quote my 8361’s and their price was good but I ended up buying them elsewhere for about $900/pair cheaper.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
If you use their “Get a quote” button, they will get back to you with their best price.
I had them quote my 8361’s and their price was good but I ended up buying them elsewhere for about $900/pair cheaper.
PM the other place if you can. I am always happy to find sellers that are flexible. Cheers.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is better 8351 or 8260?
Hard to compare with how it's set up. I only have one center channel 8351. It seems to go louder, but not as deep, but that could also be me "hearing" what I expect with the specs which I looked at many times before getting the 8351B.

I wish there were cheap automatic software to volume level multiple speakers. I'd love to host a shootout between the 8260, 8351B, 8331, Kali IN-8 V2, and Kali IN-5... Maybe cut the bass off around 50hz and see who wins, and move up and down and left and right to see how the dispersion is. I think I even have a black sheer cloth to obscure things and enough stands to put them all on the same level.

Top Bottom