• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 639 94.2%

• Total voters

G|force

Forum Donor
You misunderstand. Why are you looking at speakers that big for a 3m by 4m room? That's way too much speaker for that size space.
Says you and conventional wisdom.
If PJ5k wants to soak in >110dBSPL @ 1M I would not stop it. When he's finished in a couple weeks I would enjoy reading his impressions. Rock on.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Says you and conventional wisdom.
If PJ5k wants to soak in >110dBSPL @ 1M I would not stop it. When he's finished in a couple weeks I would enjoy reading his impressions. Rock on.
3m x 4m is small enough that depending on where you sit you could be inside the integration distance. The output capability is not in question.

G|force

Forum Donor
Hi James,

I'm probably the last person to give technical advice. All I did was use the relevant channel of each 7361A's xlr output into each attached Velodyne's LFE input. I then used the Velodyne microphone and onscreen setup to match the cross over and flatten the response on both daisy chained subs. I spent two days listening to this and the improved timbral detail shocked me. It brought me the textural detail and 3D staging that I had once experienced with a distant former and overly costly setup. Sadly, the aging caps were causing an unsourced rumble in the DD12's and so I went for the recaps. When I get them back later this week, I will attempt to recalibrate and then feed back if my initial impressions prove accurate.
3m x 4m is small enough that depending on where you sit you could be inside the integration distance. The output capability is not in question.
Agreed. In such a scenario integration is not the intention.
Maybe our man wants to buy once and expects that if he owns any of these loudspeakers he can rent them to others to help and recap his outlay. Love you PJ your heart is in the right place.

I would use Ones in a small room as my first GLM capable Gennies but that's not the theme. :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Agreed. In such a scenario integration is not the intention.
Maybe our man wants to buy once and expects that if he owns any of these loudspeakers he can rent them to others to help and recap his outlay. Love you PJ your heart is in the right place.

I would use Ones in a small room as my first GLM capable Gennies but that's not the theme. :)
I'm thinking long term
Now I'm in a small room in my parent's house
Maybe one day I'll get my own place with a bigger room, so I don't want to sell, lose money and then buy a bigger model

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Lol
I don't want to buy a small monitor for my current small room
Because if I move to a bigger room in a few years I'd be forced to sell it and buy a bigger monitor for the new bigger room, and lose money in the process.
I hope this time it's clear.

G|force

Forum Donor
I understood your reply, thats not why I said What? My face hammered with SPL. I've done it with quad amped JBL 4343 auditory wreckage.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I understood your reply, thats not why I said What? My face hammered with SPL. I've done it with quad amped JBL 4343 auditory wreckage.
Lol
It's not just SPL
Bigger speakers just sound "big"
And I'm not the only one that feels this way

G|force

Forum Donor
Nowadays I cruise @ reasonable levels with reasonable monitors that thrill me with delicate nuance and accuracy over sheer brute force. Both are fun. :)

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lol
It's not just SPL
Bigger speakers just sound "big"
And I'm not the only one that feels this way

Is the 8361a big speaker? We have Amir directly compare them against the Salon 2 which I'd consider a medium sized speaker. Big to me is the K402 plus theater horn :)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll tell you :)
The 1237 feels more "professional" and is more of a midfield than a big nearfield which the 8361 basically is.
And some say the the old 1000 is still the best sounding and has a different sound than the Ones
And they cost about the same as the 8361.
So it's not that easy to choose ;)
I've been enjoying my 8351s(bought at cheaper than current retail!) for the past 2 years you've spent collecting random anecdotes about speakers from the internet. Just saying :p

MrSoul4470

Dgob

Thanks, also some interesting tracks provided on their given 2021 Tidal Playlist.

kevinh

I recently toyed with the online suggestion (from Audioholics etc) of using 4 subs and integrated them to my 8361A's. Basically the two front cornered subs (7361A's) were integrated to flat in-room response down to 17 Hz using the GLM kit and two more (Velodyne DD12) subs in the back corners also integrated to the front subs. The result was such that I have now sent off my old Velodyne's to be completely recapped and will be getting them back this week. I will then run more extensive testing and if they do actually bring the rewards (without the faulty rumbling) that I initially heard, I will report back.

As phenomenal as the Genelec's are, this could be an absolute game changer (and, hopefully, conclusion) for me. Has anyone else gone down a similar route?

You may find these papers by Earl useful:

Tangband

Major Contributor

Tovarich007

I'll tell you :)
The 1237 feels more "professional" and is more of a midfield than a big nearfield which the 8361 basically is.
And some say the the old 1000 is still the best sounding and has a different sound than the Ones
And they cost about the same as the 8361.
So it's not that easy to choose ;)

Well, having heard it with a lot of attention, I assume the 8361 ain't a big nearfield at all, it's definitely a large midfield and can be used with good results up to 3/4 meters for critical listening, and even more for relaxed listening, That's borderline main field monitoring ! But maybe you enjoy being completely overwhelmed by sound and relatively high pressure levels, which I don't like, and which our hearing capabilities don't like at all in the long run !

I don't see why the 1237 feels more "professionnal" ? Both are professionnal excellent monitors, the looks of the former being quite utilitarian but allowing flushmounting, which The Ones don't. The SPL max of the 1237 is slightly higher, but all in all, the choice between the two will be a matter of taste and of type of use.

For a middle size room and a domestic use -Hifi or HT listening- I would go for the 8361 (or maybe the 8351) : smaller speaker, better overall directivity characteristics -particularly in a vertical plan but not only, same coherent sound at long or relatively short distance, and IMHO nicer styling (I know, some people hate The Ones' look, but I like it). A contrario, the big three way monitors from Genelec have a rugged fit and finish, hardly suitable for a living room, except if you don't care at all for esthetics.

Top Bottom