• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8331A Powered SAM Studio Monitor Review (by Erin)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry, but the value of this speaker doesn't add up to me. It's small, sure - but it seems very limited in dynamic range capabilities and its competitors do better in that department.

Semantics, but this sounds like you are talking about loudness capabilities, since there is no dynamic range compression that is inherent to this speaker or most any other when operating as intended. Listening at 80dB average to music, most of which has a dynamic range of 15dB or less, it would have the same dynamic range as a JBL stadium line array that was capable of 200dB.

Speaking of competitors, let's looks at a $26,000 JBL M2 system vs a much smaller, much cheaper 8361 pair. JBL says their massive archaic boxes go to 123dB peak per pair. Genelec says the 8361 goes to 124dB peak for a pair.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Semantics, but this sounds like you are talking about loudness capabilities, since there is no dynamic range compression that is inherent to this speaker or most any other when operating as intended. Listening at 80dB average to music, most of which has a dynamic range of 15dB or less, it would have the same dynamic range as a JBL stadium line array that was capable of 200dB.

I agree with you; for some reason it doesn't make it any easier to decide which I'd like to own. Within 1m, with a sub, is there even any point in going bigger? Omitting the 8361 because it literally won't fit on my desk, what other criteria should be considered on stepping up to 8341/51? Cost, obviously, but in terms of performance

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Speaking of competitors, let's looks at a $26,000 JBL M2 system vs a much smaller, much cheaper 8361 pair. JBL says their massive archaic boxes go to 123dB peak per pair. Genelec says the 8361 goes to 124dB peak for a pair.
Genelec spec’d my 1032A’s at “124dB peak for a pair” but there’s no way in hell they’d hang with M2’s turned up to 11.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The per pair peak spec is useless IMO. It's probably taken as a burst test at 1khz or something. It definitely totally ignores bass limitations.

Realistically the pink noise tested "long term max" spec is the most useful one without subs, and somewhere between that and the "short term max" is what you'll get per speaker with subs.

Also IMO the 8331a get plenty loud for any sort of 1m or less usage. I would go up to a larger model at >1m though. If you've got the space, larger never hurts though and gives you more flexibility for future uses. The price differences between sizes aren't that big.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Just to add my 2 cents to the discussion above on the value of enclosure material: from what I've read the ideal enclosure shape is not a square box but rather a round or oval one.

Regarding the 8331a speakers, I have a question for people who compared them to their bigger brothers. Because the 8341 and 8361 have larger dimensions and they have more bass, is it therefor reasonable to assume they have a slightly different sound ? Or is the difference between those models only noticable in the lowest of bass extension or only noticable in bigger rooms?

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
I agree with you; for some reason it doesn't make it any easier to decide which I'd like to own. Within 1m, with a sub, is there even any point in going bigger? Omitting the 8361 because it literally won't fit on my desk, what other criteria should be considered on stepping up to 8341/51? Cost, obviously, but in terms of performance
8351 dont really need a subwoofer, and thats my opinion , but the 8331 does, - if you want to use it in the living room. One subwoofer makes it, in reality , quite impossible to integrate perfect in a living room, so you need two really good subwoofers. Two Genelec 7350 is good for this, and you will then have perfect integration because of the digital crossover thats in GLM, with the right crossover slopes.

In that case, youre up in the pricerange of two 8351 .

Using cheaper subwoofers with 8331, without proper dsp HP and LP crossovers, there will be compromises in sound quality with substandard integration.

Two 8331 with a single 7350 under a desktop in a small room can ofcourse be used with great benefit using GLM , and thats probably the design goal for the 8331.
Then the sound gonna be fullrange from 22 Hz and uppwards.

Last edited:

Elkios

Just to add my 2 cents to the discussion above on the value of enclosure material: from what I've read the ideal enclosure shape is not a square box but rather a round or oval one.

Regarding the 8331a speakers, I have a question for people who compared them to their bigger brothers. Because the 8341 and 8361 have larger dimensions and they have more bass, is it therefor reasonable to assume they have a slightly different sound ? Or is the difference between those models only noticable in the lowest of bass extension or only noticable in bigger rooms?
I previously owned 8341 for about 3 year's . Compared to 8331 they sound more dynamic across the spectrum .As you start to go above low to near moderate volume levels the 31 start to compress in the bottom end . Bass on the 41 is also better defined when listening to drums and bass guitar . Less group delay. The mids and highs tonally sound similar. Go to the 51 and mid's sound fuller.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec spec’d my 1032A’s at “124dB peak for a pair” but there’s no way in hell they’d hang with M2’s turned up to 11.
Why not? Is JBL or Genelec lying about their peak SPL?

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Nice speakers, but i hate the fact that those genelec subwoofers are so damn expensive.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Nice speakers, but i hate the fact that those genelec subwoofers are so damn expensive.
They are ( 73xx ) with digital inputs and have GLM for roomcorrections. This is much better than your average SVS or REL subwoofer . The ability to get perfect integration is because of this much better. If you compare with other subwoofers on the market that have digital inputs - how many do you find and how much do they cost ?

One option is to buy a HYPEX plate amp for 700 dollars with digital toslink input and dsp crossover and go DIY and make your own boxes with good drivers for an additional 600-700 dollars . But the second hand market for this will be terrible and you will not save any money in the end in the long turn. Been there done that.

Last edited:

RobL

I agree with Sancus, the “Peak SPL” spec that Genelec states is pretty useless, better to compare continuous, or long term “Max spl” specs:
JBL M2 - 117dB
Genelec 8361a - 109dB
Genelec 1032a - 103dB

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I agree with Sancus, the “Peak SPL” spec that Genelec states is pretty useless, better to compare continuous, or long term “Max spl” specs:
JBL M2 - 117dB
Genelec 8361a - 109dB
Genelec 1032a - 103dB

Gotta be mindful when comparing SPL since parameters aren't always stated upfront...

Assuming that's "continuous" SPL per speaker, there's one other 3-way coaxial that plays comparably as loud as the JBL M2 (though not as deep in bass extension nor wide horizontally): Fulcrum Acoustic's RM28. No idea if the powered version is really still sold, since the official company page says that it's "discontinued". The RM28 is notably smaller (which may be easier to position in certain situations) and cheaper given its SPL output capability than the M2.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Because the 8341 and 8361 have larger dimensions and they have more bass, is it therefor reasonable to assume they have a slightly different sound ?
Genelecs largely sound the same within a series (i.e. 10, 80/83x0, 83x1), the bigger ones just extend lower and have higher SPL capabilities.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I didn't write what you quoted but....what does "peak spl" even mean. If the conditions for the test and the test signal aren't specified it's not very meaningful. It's not lying to use a test signal that is unrealistic it's just not suitable for general comparisons.

Also, it's a good rule of thumb to sanity check specs with basic physics. If two specs appear to say a large bookshelf with a ~10" woofer can play as loud as a large floorstander with a 15" woofer, something is probably wrong. I am pretty sure the peak spec for the M2 is only 1 speaker, and the Genelec one is definitely a pair, so that's -6dB there alone.

Genelec's specs are generally good but the assumptions for some of them are basically "the woofer is barely involved" which is unrealistic for real material unless you have a W371A. In that case, yes, the W371A+8361A probably does get just as loud as the JBL M2.

kevinh

About the same cost as adding the w371a to the 8361's

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, it's a good rule of thumb to sanity check specs with basic physics. If two specs appear to say a large bookshelf with a ~10" woofer can play as loud as a large floorstander with a 15" woofer, something is probably wrong. I am pretty sure the peak spec for the M2 is only 1 speaker, and the Genelec one is definitely a pair, so that's -6dB there alone.

Genelec's specs are generally good but the assumptions for some of them are basically "the woofer is barely involved" which is unrealistic for real material unless you have a W371A. In that case, yes, the W371A+8361A probably does get just as loud as the JBL M2.
My first assumption these days is that the designers are incompetent, after seeing 12" speakers from Klipsch and JBL with worse bass than the 4" woofers on the Devialet Phantom Reactor, and I'm skeptical about things like "you need a large woofer to bass" after hearing the Phantom and hearing them play deeper than larger 8" woofer monitors. Seems like people forget you can design a bass-lite woofer (REL seems to do this, and Klipsch with their floorstanders,) and that you can also get deep bass with higher excursion and a ton of power.

I rest my case about the limited SPL issue for their size if it's for one speaker vs a Genelec pair... Except for the person who mentioned the W371 brings up a good point: paired with the 8361, a W371 system should trounce the M2 system (controlled directivity at lower frequencies/cardioid bass, more even vertical dispersion, higher SPL, more room adaptability, etc.)

About the same cost as adding the w371a to the 8361's

Yep. JBL really needs to make an updated M2. I wish they would try their hand at concentric drivers in something besides the bottom of the barrel computer speakers they made... a dual diaphragm compression horn doesn't count, and doesn't seem like it's going to win the SPL game anyhow.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I didn't write what you quoted but....what does "peak spl" even mean. If the conditions for the test and the test signal aren't specified it's not very meaningful. It's not lying to use a test signal that is unrealistic it's just not suitable for general comparisons.
It's missing for the 8361A for some reason but for other speakers in the Ones series it shows that short term peak SPL is Maximum short term sine wave acoustic output on axis in half space, averaged from 100 Hz to 3 kHz at 1 m.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2-way coaxials can be SPL limited because you are punching a 2” hole in your woofer and the woofer can’t be much bigger than 5-6” or you start to face beaming.
Hmmm, maybe you could use a 2" compression driver, and make a giant midrange cone shaped like an oblate spheroid...:D ...actually I'm not totally kidding...

squ1gs

IMG_1840.jpg

Thought I would just add as someone who has been using these as part of a living room setup sat at over 2 metres. A pair of Genelec 8331A's, a Genelec 7350A Sub and room correction provided by GLM. All fed digitally (COAX to AES) via a Yamaha WXC-50. This gets loud, I have had to trim the input on the speakers by 35db.

I think SPL is always given a bit too much attention when very few applications ever call for it (minus larger rooms and long distances of course).

Last edited:

samysound

View attachment 192606

Thought I would just add as someone who has been using these as part of a living room setup sat at over 2 metres. A pair of Genelec 8331A's, a Genelec 7350A Sub and room correction provided by GLM. All fed digitally (COAX to AES) via a Yamaha WXC-50. This gets loud, I have had to trim the input on the speakers by 35db.

I think SPL is always given a bit too much attention when very few applications ever call for it (minus larger rooms and long distances of course).
nice clean setup!

Top Bottom