• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8331A Powered SAM Studio Monitor Review (by Erin)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think SPL is always given a bit too much attention when very few applications ever call for it (minus larger rooms and long distances of course).

Completely agree, and it doesn't make anything more dynamic, just louder. Most recorded music people listen to has an average dynamic range of ~15dB. If you listen to music around 75dB and get to 90dB peaks without audible distortion, using a Genelec 8361 for "increased" 'dynamics' isn't useful.

nerdoldnerdith

It depends on your taste in music and movies. In my case, I listen to a lot of electronic and classical music that gets loud. The 8331A just won't cut it for me.

BDE

View attachment 192606

Thought I would just add as someone who has been using these as part of a living room setup sat at over 2 metres. A pair of Genelec 8331A's, a Genelec 7350A Sub and room correction provided by GLM. All fed digitally (COAX to AES) via a Yamaha WXC-50. This gets loud, I have had to trim the input on the speakers by 35db.

I think SPL is always given a bit too much attention when very few applications ever call for it (minus larger rooms and long distances of course).

Nice living room and setup!

Did you compare the 8331 and 8330 or 8320 in your room/ setup? I guess due to the listening distance the difference should not too big, however with the 8331 you are on the safe side..

How do you control the general volume of your setup? Via the WXC-50, so the digital COAX output can be controlled in volume?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Completely agree, and it doesn't make anything more dynamic, just louder. Most recorded music people listen to has an average dynamic range of ~15dB. If you listen to music around 75dB and get to 90dB peaks without audible distortion, using a Genelec 8361 for "increased" 'dynamics' isn't useful.
FWIW, I have music I've measured at 30dB peaks above average. It is multi-channel though, so somewhat less load per speaker than stereo. But still a lot more than 15dB. I also consider 75dB low, I typically listen at 80dB, and some prefer even louder.

That said, I agree in general that people seem overly concerned about SPL. I really do think it's best to know the levels you listen at and the dynamic range you need and just make an informed choice based on that.

squ1gs

Nice living room and setup!

Did you compare the 8331 and 8330 or 8320 in your room/ setup? I guess due to the listening distance the difference should not too big, however with the 8331 you are on the safe side..

How do you control the general volume of your setup? Via the WXC-50, so the digital COAX output can be controlled in volume?
I have a pair of 8020D's at my desk but super near field so not quite comparable. Equally as clear and the coherent as the 8331A's minus less bass (obviously!). Ended up with the 8331A's due to a really good deal on a used pair.

I control the volume through the WXC-50, either by the app, IR remote, Google assistant or the knob on the front. The Genelecs' stay at a fixed volume set through GLM.

This lets me have my TV sound (via optical) and various streaming sources (Spotify Connect, Airplay etc) connected to the speakers.

You just need one of these (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162144879974) and one of these (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183585636262) to connect the speaker from COAX to AES.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I have music I've measured at 30dB peaks above average. It is multi-channel though, so somewhat less load per speaker than stereo. But still a lot more than 15dB. I also consider 75dB low, I typically listen at 80dB, and some prefer even louder.

That said, I agree in general that people seem overly concerned about SPL. I really do think it's best to know the levels you listen at and the dynamic range you need and just make an informed choice based on that.

Agreed! If you measure and, like yourself, need higher peaks, then you'll know you're getting your money's worth and spending it in the right place!

I think iPhones have an accurate SPL app that is calibrated to their internal microphone. More people should use that and calculate what they need, then get the appropriate speaker.

Heck, someone could probably make a cook app that used the rangefinder on the iPhone and you could point it at the speakers from your TV and it would tell you distance and SPL.

Then you could have the user move within one meter so the speaker didn't have to work as hard, and then start increasing the amount of distortion.

From there you could combine it with data from here so a person would get a speaker that played loud enough, with roughly low enough distortion they couldn't hear it as tested with the app. Then just add Amazon links to the appropriate speakers and that could help fund it.

napfkuchen

I control the volume through the WXC-50, either by the app, IR remote, Google assistant or the knob on the front. The Genelecs' stay at a fixed volume set through GLM.

This lets me have my TV sound (via optical) and various streaming sources (Spotify Connect, Airplay etc) connected to the speakers.

You just need one of these (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162144879974) and one of these (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183585636262) to connect the speaker from COAX to AES.
Thx again for your info! :D I just ordered a Yamaha WXC-50, a soundcard with optical out (Asus Xonar SE) and the necessary adapters.

napfkuchen

I can only speak for my situation (Genelec 8331A + 7350A in a 5x6m room, listening distance 1,5m): Music volume is about 75-80 dB, GLM is set to -50 dB which results in a maximum output of 81-87 dB. -40 dB results in peaks of up to 95 dB, which is too much for me even short-term.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a pair of genelec 8331a at home for a trial. Love their sound. They come very close to my main speakers, although they will not go as loud. But are loud enough, louder will damage your ears in the long run. Very nice, detailled, 3D sound image. Very impressive for such a small speaker.

The subbass is routed to two subwoofers btw.

Attachments

• B2827408-D066-4A84-822F-4114469D55F7.jpeg
    B2827408-D066-4A84-822F-4114469D55F7.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 445

oversky

I have a pair of 8020D's at my desk but super near field so not quite comparable. Equally as clear and the coherent as the 8331A's minus less bass (obviously!). Ended up with the 8331A's due to a really good deal on a used pair.

After comparing 8020D and 8331A,
will you consider the coaxial design as a must feature for your next speakers?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After comparing 8020D and 8331A,
will you consider the coaxial design as a must feature for your next speakers?

After comparing a coaxial Genelec 8260 or Kali IN-8 to a non-coaxial anything: yes.

I'd never tolerate a TV that looked busted if I sat on the ground, did yoga in front of it, or stood up to get a drink.

Yet people put up with speakers using legacy designs that sound wretched if you're above or below the tweeter too much.

Not to mention the ceilings in many rooms being closer than the walls, and the ceiling reflection sounding more irregular and totally undampened with the lobeing present in non-coaxial designs.

Note: There are zero inherent sound quality issues with coaxial drivers. Unless price or loudness are the limiting factors, go for it.

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
I wonder why this 8331a doesn’t get much love here at asr?

It’s a fantastic all in one speaker, digital input, dsp, 3 way, coax.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ASR loves Genelec speakers. Insert any number you want. 8xxx.

The 8331 is small so home theater use may be limited but with a subwoofer it measures similar to the other 8000 series speakers.

I've not heard anyone say it's not a great speaker.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
100 pages on the 8361b, which many cannot afford, 78 pages on the 8341a and only 4 pages on the 8331a.

:rolleyes:

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

Keep in mind that this thread wasn’t on the main review page. So it didn’t get the attention of previous Genelec ones that Amir reviewed.

napfkuchen

100 pages on the 8361b, which many cannot afford, 78 pages on the 8341a and only 4 pages on the 8331a.

:rolleyes:
That's similar for nearly every product category you can think of. When a new car is released most reviews cover the high spec / full spec variant equipped with the most powerful engine while in reality less than 5% of all buyers will opt for them ...
While my 8331As together with a single 7350A are sufficient for me regarding SPL capabilities I see there are scenarios where the larger models with more powerful amps would be useful, e.g. when you don't have to care about neighbours and listening distance is longer. Although the point source concept doesn't make that much sense then and the listening distance should not be longer than 3m even for the 8361A anyway. At least for stereo music a pair of 8341As with two 7350As should be powerful enough for 99% of users.:)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Well, it wasn't an Amir review.

But also, the problem with the 8331A is that it's more output limited than its larger brothers but still very expensive. Most people who can afford any model will just go up in size until they reach the max size they want for their room/aesthetics/carrying capacity.

It's still a fantastic little desktop nearfield monitor, one of the best money can buy, but at $4500/pair that's a lot for what is a secondary system for most people. I want them for my own desktop and even though I've spent so much on Genelecs already, it's still really hard to justify.

Hi everyone, first message here :)
I'm an happy owner of a pair of 8361A to produce & master my music and I would like to add others Genelec speakers to my system to go to Atmos or at least compose with few Speakers in the room, so when I move in my room closes to synth or hardware compressor desk, I can hear everywhere.

Also because my room is small, I'm wondering if Five 8331A speakers units + one or two sub could win in front of a pair of 8361A ? I'm not listening good because of neighbours.
Thanks a lot for your help :)

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
In a small room, the 8331a will be enough, unless you listen very loud.

Top Bottom