• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8320a Review (Powered Monitor)

Hmast

Simply, the hiss is lost in the crossover of a passive speakers which is where the signal from the amp goes first. In an active speaker the crossover is electronic and then each amp directly powers the drivers individually so there still might be some hiss in the signal chain.
Alright so we simply hear the amp noise and therefore the hiss is amp quality dependant.

What is weird is 8361 and 8351 have a different hiss volume (lower for the bigger speaker) whereas the amp is the same for the tweeter and the midrange.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
FB_IMG_1679390038743.jpg

Size difference is amazing hehe

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Alright so we simply hear the amp noise and therefore the hiss is amp quality dependant.

What is weird is 8361 and 8351 have a different hiss volume (lower for the bigger speaker) whereas the amp is the same for the tweeter and the midrange.
Yes, or it could also be in the electronics and the amp is simply amplifying it. If it is the electronics and with an active speaker, hiss could be produced by either woofer, tweeter or both depending on frequency and crossover. Sensitivity of drivers can also make a difference.

Hmast

Yes, or it could also be in the electronics and the amp is simply amplifying it. If it is the electronics and with an active speaker, hiss could be produced by either woofer, tweeter or both depending on frequency and crossover. Sensitivity of drivers can also make a difference.
It looks like it is quite impossible to remove any hiss in the end. We're in 2023 and high end brands are still struggling to remove it. Quite surprising.

MadeInBologna

Great review! I just joined this site because of the review and thorough testing. I was originally looking for more reviews on the G Three, then I discovered the GLM SAM, which doesn't work with the G Three.

First, I'm a music lover. I'm looking for a system in my new place to listen to music. I love exploring great music, and imaging and soundstaging are very important to me because it allows me to feel how the musicians are interacting with one another. It also allows me to understand all of the nuances that the artists place in their music. I'm two channel only, meaning I don't mix my 2-channel with my home theater.

I'm moving from a 10,000 sq-ft room with an LX-521 analog active-crossover system with an Ayre QB-9 Twenty on the front end. I use an M1 MacMini to feed it digital signals from Audirvana. (I'd put it up against anything commercial for under $50K.) I usually listen in an 8ft equilateral triangle at 90-92dB for rock and less for everything else. A volume of what I think is the volume that the performers actually recorded at. Life like. Anything more doesn't sound right to me.

I'm moving to a 37' sailboat that has maybe 1,400 sq-ft in the main salon. So, the current system (except the Ayre) has to go into storage for now.

I'm seriously considering the 8320A, 7350A, and GLM SAM to power my new system fed by the Ayre and a passive preamp that is all XLR analog from source to speaker.

I will say that when I was building my LX-521s, there was a group that built a digital cross-over out of the MiniDSP 4x10. I built that too. Even though the frequency response was perfect, I hated the treble on the MiniDSP. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me. I was so happy when the analog cross-over (derived from the MiniDSP experiment) came out. All that to say I'm sensitive to anything less than Ayre, Benchmark, Chord, PS Audio, etc quality.

So, my question is... do you think the Genelec-based system I spec above is a good replacement for what I'm leaving behind? The 8020A is the ideal size considering the amount of space I have available. (not much) In the attached image, I plan to use wall mounts just to the outside of the bookshelf on the opposite side of the cabin at ear level. (yellow arrows) Originally, I was going to put the speakers inside of the cabinets behind the wicker doors. Now I think I'm going to mount them just to the outside of these doors where I can still open the doors, if that makes sense. That puts them a little bit out in to the room, but not much.

The red arrow is the listening position. I have no idea where to put the sub right now, but I'm sure I'll find a place. This should create a 6-foot equilateral triangle, or pretty close to it. I'm thinking the GLM SAM will tackle any nasties that exist with respect to frequency response and timing. But if it sounds digital like the MiniDSP, I'm going to have an allergic reaction.

Anything else I should look at? The G Threes are still attractive as they are all analog. But I do have an active DSP in my car (Helix) that is very high quality, and it does a great job of taming the car environment and crossing over my speakers. So, I'm hopeful....

For fun, I'm posting an image of my current system that will soon be in storage. (sad)

placementLXMini.jpg

homeSystem.png

mkt

I'm moving to a 37' sailboat that has maybe 1,400 sq-ft in the main salon. So, the current system (except the Ayre) has to go into storage for now.
Not to be that guy but even if your 37' sailboat is square that's only 1369 square feet.

The 8330 is not that much bigger than the 8320 and then you can get rid of the DAC. Or do you have analogue inputs as well? (I went from a Benchmark DAC and amp to all Genelec with no regrets.) GLM is great.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great review! I just joined this site because of the review and thorough testing. I was originally looking for more reviews on the G Three, then I discovered the GLM SAM, which doesn't work with the G Three.

First, I'm a music lover. I'm looking for a system in my new place to listen to music. I love exploring great music, and imaging and soundstaging are very important to me because it allows me to feel how the musicians are interacting with one another. It also allows me to understand all of the nuances that the artists place in their music. I'm two channel only, meaning I don't mix my 2-channel with my home theater.

I'm moving from a 10,000 sq-ft room with an LX-521 analog active-crossover system with an Ayre QB-9 Twenty on the front end. I use an M1 MacMini to feed it digital signals from Audirvana. (I'd put it up against anything commercial for under $50K.) I usually listen in an 8ft equilateral triangle at 90-92dB for rock and less for everything else. A volume of what I think is the volume that the performers actually recorded at. Life like. Anything more doesn't sound right to me.

I'm seriously considering the 8320A, 7350A, and GLM SAM to power my new system fed by the Ayre and a passive preamp that is all XLR analog from source to speaker.

I will say that when I was building my LX-521s, there was a group that built a digital cross-over out of the MiniDSP 4x10. I built that too. Even though the frequency response was perfect, I hated the treble on the MiniDSP. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me. I was so happy when the analog cross-over (derived from the MiniDSP experiment) came out. All that to say I'm sensitive to anything less than Ayre, Benchmark, Chord, PS Audio, etc quality.

So, my question is... do you think the Genelec-based system I spec above is a good replacement for what I'm leaving behind? The 8020A is the ideal size considering the amount of space I have available. (not much) In the attached image, I plan to use wall mounts just to the outside of the bookshelf on the opposite side of the cabin at ear level. (yellow arrows) Originally, I was going to put the speakers inside of the cabinets behind the wicker doors. Now I think I'm going to mount them just to the outside of these doors where I can still open the doors, if that makes sense. That puts them a little bit out in to the room, but not much.

The red arrow is the listening position. I have no idea where to put the sub right now, but I'm sure I'll find a place. This should create a 6-foot equilateral triangle, or pretty close to it. I'm thinking the GLM SAM will tackle any nasties that exist with respect to frequency response and timing. But if it sounds digital like the MiniDSP, I'm going to have an allergic reaction.

Anything else I should look at? The G Threes are still attractive as they are all analog. But I do have an active DSP in my car (Helix) that is very high quality, and it does a great job of taming the car environment and crossing over my speakers. So, I'm hopeful....

For fun, I'm posting an image of my current system that will soon be in storage. (sad)

View attachment 291179

View attachment 291180
8320A + 7350A + GLM is perfect for your situation, although keep in mind that GLM cannot correct very deep midbass dips below and may still require you to move that subwoofer around. The best part is that you can run the GLM report and get an idea of how the 8320A is interacting with your space!

MadeInBologna

Not to be that guy but even if your 37' sailboat is square that's only 1369 square feet.

The 8330 is not that much bigger than the 8320 and then you can get rid of the DAC. Or do you have analogue inputs as well? (I went from a Benchmark DAC and amp to all Genelec with no regrets.) GLM is great.
Well, I'm literally just getting my Ayre back from the Twenty upgrade. I sent it out before I made this recent decision to move. I'd have to do a critical listen between the two. I'll add the 8330A to my list and measure when I go back out there this weekend. I don't want to make an eyesore of having two big boxes floating out in the middle of the cabin. I think the 8320As will hide better, but I get what you are saying.

MadeInBologna

On the boat yesterday. I made a volumetric mockup of the 8330 and the 7040. (The 7350 is the same measurements except 3" thicker.)

I think I'm going to go with the 8320s. The size of the box (12" x 8" x 8") of the 8330 just looks to big for the space. (Pics below with box alternating location just to the left and right of the shelves.) I have a feeling the 8320 will be borderline in size, but most likely the best balance between sound quality and visual appeal. I need to figure out how to mount them to the panels outside of the bench. The brackets would need to face inward towards the sofa bench, then rise up to ear level while turning 90-degrees to fasten to the back of the speakers so that they point towards the listening position.

6989EB58-2308-4801-BB62-C88BA5DA50B5_1_201_a.jpeg

05AC86E1-EC60-4B55-8143-57AAB50A144B_1_201_a.jpeg

The 7040 box (kitty litter box cut to size) would only fit under the table next to the sweet spot. I'll end up with the 7350 since with it's placement, 3" isn't going to do much. Is that position, basically a foot from my leg on the floor, going to be ok? Or is that too close? I'd have to do without if it's too big. There is just no-where to hide something that size.

59526BAD-647E-4C04-8F72-3F9E7502252C_1_201_a.jpeg

Trell

Major Contributor
@MadeInBologna For the 8320 there is a number of Genelec accessories for mounting them, including a VESA plate which gives you even third party options as well.

With the 7350+8320 you should get the GLM kit for room EQ as well as enabling auto standby. There isn’t any DIP switches on the 8320/8330 to enable/disable auto standby.

For the 7350 the inputs are on the right side while the port is on the left, so the backside can be put against the wall. The port needs at least 10 cm clearing.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@MadeInBologna For the 8320 there is a number of Genelec accessories for mounting them, including a VESA plate which gives you even third party options as well.
They can be mounted onto microphone stands, so another possibility is a matching screw from below.

MadeInBologna

Actually, I found out today it's camera tripod stands that fit these best. Well, that or my microphone stands are sized too big.

Anyway.... I set them up today in my normal listening area WITHIN my normal listening triangle, which is normally a little bit under 8' equilateral. I put them on a 6' equilateral triangle with the listening position about 7' from the rear wall and about 8' from the side walls.

I pointed them directly at the listening position as a starting point. OK. Don't do that anymore! Yikes. I hope they get better than this. They sound like a boom box. I did the 10-second reset to default by holding in the back button. That resets the EQ curve, correct? Still sounds like a boom box.

Next, I pointed them to cross behind the listening position. Better. But now it sounds like the soundstage has a big rubber sheet stretched across it. And the soundstage went two-dimensional. Hmmm.... They definitely have a mid-band peak in my 21x34x10 foot listening room that is muddying up the soundstage and imaging.

On my LX-521, I've gotten the best results crossing them about a foot in front of the listening position. So, I tried that. Whoa. ok, not bad. Still not in the same league as my LX-521s, but what the hell do I expect? :) The soundstage got a little less compressed front to back. I'm really, really spoiled with my LX-521s as they are like being in the room with the performers. I've easily got a 3D 30-foot deep soundstage IF the source was recorded that way. The 8320s WITHOUT the GLM SAM might be throwing a 5-foot soundstage by comparison. The imaging is super left to right. No wandering images.

From the rest of the room, if I'm walking around doing other things, it's quite listenable. Enjoyable. I can live with it considering my requirements, but I really hope that GLM SAM coming tomorrow transforms these into what I was led to believe they can do.

I haven't listened to box speakers since 2014 when I sold my Vienna Acoustics Beethovens and built the LX-521s. I think part of this is going to be my adjustment back to a box speaker sound.

Just for reference, my front-end for this is a maxed-out Linn LP12 (DC motor, one-piece plinth, etc.), Supatrac Blackbird arm (OMG!!), VanDenHul Frog cart, all VanDenHul XLR cables, Parasound Halo JC-3+, Parasound Halo JC-2. I should get the Ayre back from the Twenty upgrade on Friday, and I'm really looking forward to putting that back in the system.

Believe it or not, I fully expect it to sound better in a boat environment than my large listening area. I'm feeling good about this so far.

20312536-24E4-4DCA-B36D-6C81BB6B1D32_1_201_a.jpeg

robca

I was browsing a pawn shop for woodworking tools, and I left with a pair of Genelec 8320a in great shape. Things like these happen to me from time to time... They are missing the iso-pods, which can be found on B&H (unless someone here wants to sell theirs)

Problem is, I only have digital sources, and no preamp (yes, I knew it going in :)). So I now need a preamp with USB DAC and coax/toslink inputs and ideally balanced outputs. and I really don't want to spend too much, so I was looking at the Topping D10 balanced, but no toslink/coax. Topping DX3 pro has all the inputs, but no balanced out. What would be the cheapest reasonable preamp to pair with the Genelecs? I really don't want to spend >$300 at this point, given the source material I'm using

I believe that balanced preamp would be better for near field at very low volumes, where hiss and noise from the cables might be an issue. Am I wrong? (and, yes, I know how to connect unbalanced to the XLR input, I have done so to test the speakers).

Lastly, is there anyone in the Seattle area who would let me borrow/test a GLM? I'd be happy to put down a deposit or anything to ensure I don't run out with it... I

Top Bottom