• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

r.mallow

Hi all,

Long-time lurker who basically never posts.

I am hoping to solicit opinions related to the value proposition of the Genelec 82X0 series relative to 80X0 now that the 82X0 series are getting on in years. User experiences would also be very valuable to me.

Reading reviews at the time 82X0 were released and in the following few years, consensus was that they were superior to the 80X0 series. Ostensibly, DSP offered the advantage. However, now some 15-20 years later, other non-GLM DSP solutions are likely more capable than what is possible using even the most modern iterations of GLM. As I understand it, the 82X0 series can basically only use the tech from GLM of its same era. That is, later versions of GLM are still compatible, but functionally bottleneck and can’t use all the features released later.

So, my questions are as follows:

—Is there something about the 82X0 series that would also pose barriers to getting the full functionality of modern, non-Genelec DSP?

—If there are no barriers to using other DSP options (e.g., Dirac, REW), does a DSP crossover offer significant advantages over the 80X0 series such that the 82X0 series are still the better value?

—I cannot find any serious concerns about long-term reliability with the 82X0 series. Has anyone heard of issues? Google searches have not revealed any concerns, but obviously if something breaks down, it’s a pretty nasty scenario.

For the sake of this hypothetical, let’s assume that both the 82X0 and 80X0 of the same driver sizes are identically priced. Also assume there’s about $500 budgeted for room treatment in a living room (hifi use case), but my partner’s taste in decor and apartment living will only allow so much to be done. Side note: I can’t afford the 83X0 series much less “the ones,” unfortunately. I am a PhD student with a very much fixed budget and as I’d like to have monitors before I graduate, saving up the difference is probably not going to happen (alas haha).

Thank you all for any perspective you can offer.

—Mallow

PS: Please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum, or if the topic has been covered. I tried without success to search for anything that might help clarify.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
—Is there something about the 82X0 series that would also pose barriers to getting the full functionality of modern, non-Genelec DSP?

I don't really understand this Q - the 80x0 series is basically plug and play, with a few buttons & knobs on the back for basic optimization. The 82x0 has outdated GLM support, but can also act in a plug and play fashion.

—If there are no barriers to using other DSP options (e.g., Dirac, REW), does a DSP crossover offer significant advantages over the 80X0 series such that the 82X0 series are still the better value?

I don't follow this one, either. GLM crossover would probably be used with GLM subs, which frankly are not a good value. They're good subs, just not good subs for the price.

—I cannot find any serious concerns about long-term reliability with the 82X0 series. Has anyone heard of issues? Google searches have not revealed any concerns, but obviously if something breaks down, it’s a pretty nasty scenario.

Genelec has a sustainability initiative that would probably make parts easy to find, but given what you've explained so far I'd probably opt for a b-stock 80x0 so you have the warranty.

Neumann is an excellent, slightly cheaper option and worth considering. Personally I prefer the Genelec sound and have a bad taste in my mouth from Neumann support/software. If you have no need for the software, then who cares. Genelec support is superior in every possible sense

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I knew this Q was coming.... Their reticence to acknowledge the KH80 standby is simply broken for many users (they wake up only a few seconds after going into standby). In my case, when I opened a support ticket, it took 3 back-and-forth exchanges for me to get the point across that the issue happens even without an audio cable connected. They just kept replying with screenshots of the manual

Also, theres still some dependency of the Neumann Control iPad app which hasn't been updated in years. I couldn't find a way in MA1 to adjust sleep timer for my 80's. If you read through the MA1 thread, you'll find a quite a few complaints about how that rollout has gone over the years

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I knew this Q was coming.... Their reticence to acknowledge the KH80 standby is simply broken for many users (they wake up only a few seconds after going into standby). In my case, when I opened a support ticket, it took 3 back-and-forth exchanges for me to get the point across that the issue happens even without an audio cable connected. They just kept replying with screenshots of the manual

Also, theres still some dependency of the Neumann Control iPad app which hasn't been updated in years. I couldn't find a way in MA1 to adjust sleep timer for my 80's. If you read through the MA1 thread, you'll find a quite a few complaints about how that rollout has gone over the years
That’s unfortunate. While GLM monitors have a working auto off feature by timer there is also the option to shut them off whenever GLM app is closed or the machine is turned off.

I wish they could at least add that kind of semi manual shut off capability.

Still I would check with a watt meter how much power it draws while idle. Hopefully not much.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is it outdated? All 82xx monitors are compatible with the newest GLM 5.x
Outdated is probably the wrong word but what he means is that those models had a limited number of pEq bands compared to the 83xx monitors.

It doesn’t matter in all situations though.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Outdated is probably the wrong word but what he means is that those models had a limited number of pEq bands compared to the 83xx monitors.

It doesn’t matter in all situations though.
he said "outdated GLM support" which isn't true, it's as "outdated" as for example the amps, when the new more powerful come out with new revision. Those monitors are still fully supported and compatible with the current software. EQ control is only a part of the GLM software, 82xx series can be configured in an Atmos or any surround system of choice, mixed with current models, or used with the new 9320A controller

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
he said "outdated GLM support" which isn't true, it's as "outdated" as for example the amps, when the new more powerful come out with new revision. Those monitors are still fully supported and compatible with the current software. EQ control is only a part of the GLM software, 82xx series can be configured in an Atmos or any surround system of choice, mixed with current models, or used with the new 9320A controller
Agreed. They still have full support and knowing Genelec they will for at least another decade.

I would still always pick the GLM compatible model over a non GLM compatible model. It makes a world of difference.

Top Bottom