• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

Trell

Major Contributor
Do you get a pop or thump sound when windows starts or restarts? It always happens, even if the speakers are on and not sleeping. If I decide to restart windows, then when the computer logo appear, it makes a low thump, then another one before entering the screen where you put your password

I'm on windows 10

I think is related to windows rather than the speakers as they're new basically

I read it could be "sound scheme engaging and disengaging" but dont know how to disable that or change the sound

I wonder if is caused by the fact that I have the Genelec sleep mode on. Unlikely cause I never let them go to sleep. I turn off my surge protector before I go to sleep, then turn it on when I'm going to use the computer in the day. When I turn it on, the speaker do make a thump noise as well, probably from the current waking them up?

That doesn't explain why it still happens when they are already on, but only on windows startup or restart.

Likely that is due to the DAC you're using as not all of them mute output during power-on/off.

Pancreas

Likely that is due to the DAC you're using as not all of them mute output during power-on/off.

yeah I realized this by unplugging the USB from pc and plugging in again, it always make a noise when the DAC turn on and off lmao

I have Scarlett Solo

Do you of any interface that I won't have this issue?

But the thump sound also happens when I have the audio interface disconnected from the pc and the surge protector off

When I turn the surge protector on, then speaker makes the thump sound, is this also because the audio interface still have power despite being off?

or is the current waking up the speakers?

Trell

Major Contributor
yeah I realized this by unplugging the USB from pc and plugging in again, it always make a noise when the DAC turn on and off lmao

I have Scarlett Solo

Do you of any interface that I won't have this issue?

But the thump sound also happens when I have the audio interface disconnected from the pc and the surge protector off

When I turn the surge protector on, then speaker makes the thump sound, is this also because the audio interface still have power despite being off?

or is the current waking up the speakers?
The MOTU M2 does not do that when I turn the power on/off or when I plugin/plugout the USB. The M2 has a power on/off switch behind and the device stays powered on when in sleep mode.

Note that the M2 is a high output voltage so with the sensitive 8030C you might find that you can only use a small range of the M2 volume pot, or you'll have to use passive attenuators. I've the 8330A and using GLM I can set the internal volume quite low as to match any high output DAC. Adjusting the internal volume level of the 8330 is the same as adjusting the input sensitivity, but for the 8030C that range is much smaller.

Pancreas

I think my issue is the USB signals from my PC
The MOTU M2 does not do that when I turn the power on/off or when I plugin/plugout the USB. The M2 has a power on/off switch behind and the device stays powered on when in sleep mode.

Note that the M2 is a high output voltage so with the sensitive 8030C you might find that you can only use a small range of the M2 volume pot, or you'll have to use passive attenuators. I've the 8330A and using GLM I can set the internal volume quite low as to match any high output DAC. Adjusting the internal volume level of the 8330 is the same as adjusting the input sensitivity, but for the 8030C that range is much smaller.

How can I adjust the internal volume?

I think my problem is in part turning off the surge protector when I'm supposed to leave it on all the time, but the reason I do is precaution, feels safer with these cheap MOVs surge protectors. I have tripplite. I'm thinking of buying Zero Surge so I can leave it on all the time. Then, I'll don't have this issue. I think it happens du to getting the current all at once or something when turning it on the surge protector?

The issue with windows tho, it only happens when I reach the user account login, I think the problem is the USB ports on my computer. Whenever I unplug and plug the USB cable going from PC to Scarlett solo, I get a weird sound. Maybe if I buy an audio interface with its own power supply. I won't have this issue, since is the computer that is powering on the audio interface every time I turn it on.

If I buy an audio interface with power supply and leave my surge protector on all the time, in theory it should work? or better turn off audio interface on and off after use, but leave surge protector on.

I updated the scarlett drivers but no change, the fact I get the weird sound when unplugging and plugging the usb from the computer, tells me is a power issue that may be fixed with an audio interface with its own power supply

but your motu m2 is also usb powered so i dont know

YSC

Major Contributor

I think my problem is in part turning off the surge protector when I'm supposed to leave it on all the time, but the reason I do is precaution, feels safer with these cheap MOVs surge protectors. I have tripplite. I'm thinking of buying Zero Surge so I can leave it on all the time. Then, I'll don't have this issue. I think it happens du to getting the current all at once or something when turning it on the surge protector?

The issue with windows tho, it only happens when I reach the user account login, I think the problem is the USB ports on my computer. Whenever I unplug and plug the USB cable going from PC to Scarlett solo, I get a weird sound. Maybe if I buy an audio interface with its own power supply. I won't have this issue, since is the computer that is powering on the audio interface every time I turn it on.

If I buy an audio interface with power supply and leave my surge protector on all the time, in theory it should work? or better turn off audio interface on and off after use, but leave surge protector on.

I updated the scarlett drivers but no change, the fact I get the weird sound when unplugging and plugging the usb from the computer, tells me is a power issue that may be fixed with an audio interface with its own power supply

but your motu m2 is also usb powered so i dont know
am using an external usb dac (holoaudio spring 2) and it don't have the issue

Trell

Major Contributor

Your only option is the sensitivity knob in the back of your 8030C. My 8330A have internal DSP that allows changing the volume this way using GLM (software from Genelec).

Trell

Major Contributor
am using an external usb dac (holoaudio spring 2) and it don't have the issue

Same for my RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I don't think that my RME Fireface UCX II mutes output on power on/off, but I've not tested that.

Pancreas

This shit sucks. I've checked everything, I'm 44hz on both audio interface setting and windows. I tried different USB input whether 2.0 or 3.0. Every damn times I restart the computer. Every time the computer goes into restart mode makes a pop, then once in restarts as in loading, makes another pop, then a final pop/crack right before the window login appears.

Clearly is a power issue from the USB. I'm going to try connecting it to my computer monitor instead. I wonder if it'll change. The thing I have my computer monitor connected to my PC via USB cable, in order to use the USB inputs on the monitor. I wonder if this may be playing a role here?

Maybe I should disconnecting that

Here is a video before doing any of that. I don't care too much about the pops, id rather not have them, my concern is if this could affect the speakers

Trell

Major Contributor
This shit sucks. I've checked everything, I'm 44hz on both audio interface setting and windows. I tried different USB input whether 2.0 or 3.0. Every damn times I restart the computer. Every time the computer goes into restart mode makes a pop, then once in restarts as in loading, makes another pop, then a final pop/crack right before the window login appears.

Clearly is a power issue from the USB. I'm going to try connecting it to my computer monitor instead. I wonder if it'll change. The thing I have my computer monitor connected to my PC via USB cable, in order to use the USB inputs on the monitor. I wonder if this may be playing a role here?

Maybe I should disconnecting that

Here is a video before doing any of that. I don't care too much about the pops, id rather not have them, my concern is if this could affect the speakers

I can see (hear, actually) that you find that a problem. As you write you can try the USB out of the PC monitor, but perhaps you'll have to change a setting in the monitor if you want the USB power to be always on or off when PC sleeps.

Pancreas

I can see (hear, actually) that you find that a problem. As you write you can try the USB out of the PC monitor, but perhaps you'll have to change a setting in the monitor if you want the USB power to be always on or off when PC sleeps.

I’ll try that but to use the usb ports in the monitor, you have to connect the monitor to pc via that blue USB

The problem is either the interface or my PC usb ports. This is a 2018 HP computer. I updated all the drivers and everything.

Unplugging and plugging the scarlett USB cable in and out of any USB pc port recreate that crack sound.

My concern is it could damage the speaker? Would these little pops do any damage? I actually raised the volume somewhat so the pops can be heard better on the video. If i keep the volume lower you can hear it but not much

I dont have other interface to test. It seems to be more a problem with my PC rather than audio interface.

Im going to disconnect the speakers from audio interface and try the same restarting but with headphones and see if i hear the same pops

Lilith

You can use an active USB 2.0 hub also.

Pancreas

You can use an active USB 2.0 hub also.
You mean a powered usb hub with power supply?

If I use that, I’d have to connect the interface to the hub, but how do i connect hub to pc? With another usb cable?

A non power supply usb hub would draw power from my pc, how would that be different

Trell

Major Contributor
I’ll try that but to use the usb ports in the monitor, you have to connect the monitor to pc via that blue USB

The problem is either the interface or my PC usb ports. This is a 2018 HP computer. I updated all the drivers and everything.

Unplugging and plugging the scarlett USB cable in and out of any USB pc port recreate that crack sound.

My concern is it could damage the speaker? Would these little pops do any damage? I actually raised the volume somewhat so the pops can be heard better on the video. If i keep the volume lower you can hear it but not much

I dont have other interface to test. It seems to be more a problem with my PC rather than audio interface.

Im going to disconnect the speakers from audio interface and try the same restarting but with headphones and see if i hear the same pops

As @Lilith mentioned a powered USB hub (he wrote active, probably meant powered) is an option to try, but that is just the same as using USB output from your PC monitor.

Another alternative is to install an USB card in your PC and see if that works better for you.

Pancreas

As @Lilith mentioned a powered USB hub (he wrote active, probably meant powered) is an option to try, but that is just the same as using USB output from your PC monitor.

Another alternative is to install an USB card in your PC and see if that works better for you.

I connected the audio interface to computer monitor and I didn't get the pop sounds, but of course, but the monitor green lights didn't light up, only the instrument red light is on, I can't do anything as the interface is not connected to the PC. If connect the monitor to PC with the USB blue cable, then I get the pops again. So I think is an issue with the USB ports in my pc or my PC.

If I buy a powered USB hub, wouldn't it be the same scenario?

I connect the audio interface to the USB hub, then the USB hub to my pc. Since the problem appears to be my PC usb inputs, wouldn't the problem persist?

The problem appear to be the connection between pc and audio interface

YSC

Major Contributor
I connected the audio interface to computer monitor and I didn't get the pop sounds, but of course, but the monitor green lights didn't light up, only the instrument red light is on, I can't do anything as the interface is not connected to the PC. If connect the monitor to PC with the USB blue cable, then I get the pops again. So I think is an issue with the USB ports in my pc or my PC.

I connect the audio interface to the USB hub, then the USB hub to my pc. Since the problem appears to be my PC usb inputs, wouldn't the problem persist?

it sounds just like the usb starting powering on and the noise inside the PC comes for a second before settling down. there's no solution to that unless you get a powered usb dac to use in conjunction, the interface likely will not mute that

Pancreas

it sounds just like the usb starting powering on and the noise inside the PC comes for a second before settling down. there's no solution to that unless you get a powered usb dac to use in conjunction, the interface likely will not mute that

can you recommend one?

So I need to get an audio interface with its own power supply? or are you referring to a powered USB hub?

I tried everything already, unplugging all USB cables except the audio interface. Connecting the audio interface to computer monitor, then monitor to PC. It always does the same noise when starting windows.

Trell

Major Contributor

Installing an USB card in your PC and quite possibly the USB card handles this better than your on-board USB.

Pancreas

I unplugged the speakers from the audio interface and connected my headphones, restarted windows, the same sound happens even on headphones, so the issue is not the speakers. The fact that the sound can be recreated every time I plug and unplug the audio interface cable from my PC, tells the issue is the usb inputs or my PC, or both.

Pancreas

Installing an USB card in your PC and quite possibly the USB card handles this better than your on-board USB.

Could you recommend one? so basically this USB card would connect to my PC usb port?

My pc uses a general Realtek soundcard. I updated it but no difference.

I don't have another PC. I'm going to borrow a laptop and check if I get this pop sound on it.

On my PC, as soon as the monitor green light illuminates on the interface, I hear a final pop. This means is related to power.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Could you recommend one? so basically this USB card would connect to my PC usb port?

My pc uses a general Realtek soundcard. I updated it but no difference.

I don't have another PC. I'm going to borrow a laptop and check if I get this pop sound on it.

On my PC, as soon as the monitor green light illuminates on the interface, I hear a final pop. This means is related to power.
Sorry, I’ve not used such a card card for over a decade as the onboard USB has been sufficient for my usage.

You could enter the BIOS of your PC to see if there are some options there you could tweak, but manufactures like HP usually don’t have much to tweak. There is also possible that a firmware update from HP is available.

Top Bottom