• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C Studio Monitor Review

YSC

Major Contributor
But one question: I noticed the joining gap between the front and rear sections for the one of the speakers arnt uniform and one side is slightly wider than the other, is that normal or it’s kind of a bad copy that I better off unscrew and Re screw trying to make it better?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
But one question: I noticed the joining gap between the front and rear sections for the one of the speakers arnt uniform and one side is slightly wider than the other, is that normal or it’s kind of a bad copy that I better off unscrew and Re screw trying to make it better?
Depends on the gap, I guess. As long as it's airtight, there should be no problem, but you could probably RMA it if it's blatant.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’d contact Genelec and attach a picture with both side by side to show the difference. My guess is that anything less than a millimeter is within tolerances. But maybe there’s a seal gasket that got tangled and increased the gap on one side... Duno... Genelec support will help you figure it out.

Xyrium

Forum Donor

Pics?

YSC

Major Contributor
Depends on the gap, I guess. As long as it's airtight, there should be no problem, but you could probably RMA it if it's blatant.
It obviously is airtight and the
First pict is right side and left pict is left side, the gap is 1mm at the larger side and the left is basically tight, I am pretty sure it don’t affect sound or genelec won’t let it out but just curious is this normal for the 8000s
205996C2-09E2-460A-B7FE-ED5DC9C4D502.jpeg

41AE2D01-EBD3-476F-BB5D-1E06DAC3D127.jpeg

Xyrium

Forum Donor
You have a keen eye! I would probably never have noticed that.

Did you contact Genelec? I've heard that their support is quite good.

YSC

Major Contributor
You have a keen eye! I would probably never have noticed that.

Did you contact Genelec? I've heard that their support is quite good.
Not yet, as it didn’t affect sound and i am more of curious about other user experience on the case, for the shape of the genelec i believe it would more than normal to have things like these though

YSC

Major Contributor
I don’t care if they made it out of scrap, but my first two days of listening with first instinct that the bass was low (I did dial it down 4db as genelec suggested for a 5cm distance from wall, actually measured by ruler lol) then I gone to genelec test tones and sweep tones and found out the bass was actually flat! (setting the desktop mode brings down the 150hz region flat but the slope at around 80-100 hk still got a gentle rolling off boosted feel)

I realised that it was my adaptation to the kef x300A with stand mode having a lot of bass boost so first time playing makes me feel it’s lack of bass in 8030s. Then I went through my familiar tidal playlist I found I can hear more detail and it just sounded more right.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
My posting was to extol the painstaking process by which Genelec engages in, in order to produce those cabs, not to mock where they come from. You've got some great monitors there for certain. Sometimes a less distorted sound is perceived as "weaker" in the bass, when it's actually more accurate.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The original was introduced in 2005, i doubt there's a huge difference between the C and A
Also the 8040 and 8050 hasn't been updated since 2005, the B model only added the auto sleep mode.
Screenshot_20201115-225437.jpg

Xyrium

Forum Donor
I believe the primary difference was a switch to class D amplifiers.... which appears to have brought down the self noise figure by 5 dB or so, and enabled a flatter response.

YSC

Major Contributor
I believe the primary difference was a switch to class D amplifiers.... which appears to have brought down the self noise figure by 5 dB or so, and enabled a flatter response.
I only know switching to clas D and the disappearance of front switches. I used to think class D chip amps will perform worse than class ab ones

Tangband

Major Contributor
I only know switching to clas D and the disappearance of front switches. I used to think class D chip amps will perform worse than class ab ones

The 8030C is a better loudspeaker than former 8030B. The sound is better, the distortion is lower. The Genelec 8030C has tpa3118 inside - its a better sounding chip than class A/B chip amps like 3886. I have two 3886 chip amp A/B amplifiers at home but they are collecting dust right now.

I have played around with many tpa 3116 and done modifications and so on... its really good. Noone of my klass A/B amps is sounding better. The opposite in fact.
Tpa 3251 is even better and the sound from that chip can rival high end amplifiers in class A/B.
I think the upcoming Genelec 8040C will be a killer.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The 8030C is a better loudspeaker than former 8030B. The sound is better, the distortion is lower. The Genelec 8030C has tpa3118 inside - its a better sounding chip than class A/B chip amps like 3886. I have two 3886 chip amp A/B amplifiers at home but they are collecting dust right now.

I have played around with many tpa 3116 and done modifications and so on... its really good. Noone of my klass A/B amps is sounding better. The opposite in facit.
Tpa 3251 is even better and the sound from that chip can rival high end amplifiers in class A/B.
I think the upcoming Genelec 8040C will be a killer.
Do you have any confirmed news about 8040C or 8050C?

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it ain't bust don't fix it.

The 1032A which I measured and posted about was launched in 1992 (mine were built in 1993) - they measure very well even by modern standards.

Floyd Toole wrote on this forum

I met Ilpo (Genelec founder) sometime in the 80s at AES conventions. He had been following my NRCC research and papers and was eager to demonstrate to me how well he had applied the findings. Then, and in following years, when we met at AES conventions, he would proudly take to to his demo room and play classical music through his range of speakers, from small to large, demonstrating how similar, and good, they sounded. He had the courage to publish fundamentally accurate and useful anechoic data on his speakers - something almost nobody did or does. I liked him. He is a loss to the audio industry.

_Bass

Do you know that for a fact? In what way is the sound better? I thought that the 8030B is also a Class D amplifier and the performance is pretty much the same with 8030C. Quite frankly, not sure what is the change of the 8030C revision other than having 50W as opposed to 40W

Last edited:
Top Bottom