• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full range floorstanders ~$1500 budget

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Would be an option. I just got a pair and was surprised at the bass response. They are small towers but do actually play down to 30Hz in-room. For music I‘d be totally content without my sub.
They look a lot more elegant than some of the other options too if that matters.
Thanks, good recommendation … also if I add a bit more to my budget I can jump to the R7, added to the list!

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those PSBs are looking very tempting … $1500/pair on AA right now

Glad someone posted these; they look great but NRC got sensitivity of 86dB. At that point, depending on listening distance, your amp price creeps up a bit more than it normally would especially if bass extension is of primary concern.

Re: R5 some have mentioned here, I'm not sure I'd go that route myself. I'm not qualified to speculate on exactly what caused the deviation from the R3, presumably "all of the above" (driver/cabinet size especially), but R3 is much better to my ears and you lose almost nothing in extension when properly placed. I've had whole R-series save for R7, you don't need measurements to realize R5 is bastard child - almost better to think of it as floorstanding LS50. You can buy my R5's if you don't believe me :)

Also, realize you can go a LOT further depending on your time horizon and tolerance for blemishes gear. My R11's were only $1500 + some black nail polish to make then living room friendly.

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Glad someone posted these; they look great but NRC got sensitivity of 86dB. At that point, depending on listening distance, your amp price creeps up a bit more than it normally would especially if bass extension is of primary concern.

Re: R5 some have mentioned here, I'm not sure I'd go that route myself. I'm not qualified to speculate on exactly what caused the deviation from the R3, presumably "all of the above" (driver/cabinet size especially), but R3 is much better to my ears and you lose almost nothing in extension when properly placed. I've had whole R-series save for R7, you don't need measurements to realize R5 is bastard child - almost better to think of it as floorstanding LS50. You can buy my R5's if you don't believe me :)

Also, realize you can go a LOT further depending on your time horizon and tolerance for blemishes gear. My R11's were only $1500 + some black nail polish to make then living room friendly.
@tifune I believe you ;-) … I have added the R7 to my list. As to amp power for the PSBs, is that your only concern with these? For the record, I have plenty of amp power, no issue there

MrOtto

@alex-z That Q950 looks really nice. Never heard of this seller before. Do they have a good reputation?

And not I do have an old (albeit functionally flawless) Aerial Acoustics SW12 sub I can throw in the room, just was trying to avoid taking up the space, but you guys are twisting my arm
KEF Q has only one bass-driver. The two others are slaves. Pretty expensive for this kind of setup is my opinion.

Check out Polk R600 or Polk R700

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@tifune I believe you ;-) … I have added the R7 to my list. As to amp power for the PSBs, is that your only concern with these? For the record, I have plenty of amp power, no issue there

I don't really like PSB claims -10dB @ 28Hz but NRC shows -10 around 38Hz. Presumably PSB specs are in-room, but that's still barely enough to be useful. Definitely not impressive, or IMO, "full range" given the audibility of bass in general. The slope definitely implies they're made to be used with a sub, which is fine if advertised as such.

theshade

To avoid double buying, why not raise your budget to 8351b's, then get the w371a's when you are ready for the 30k system? When you have the dream system up, maybe you will not need a second system for another room. And if you decide you really need that smaller system then you already have a benchmark to determine your own point of diminishing returns.

mglobe

Forum Donor
FWIW, I would up the budget for the "budget" system, and lower the budget for the "end game" one by the same amount. Go for standmouts, two subs, and Dirac correction on the smaller system. Which brings up two questions: What will the purpose for this budget system be? What electronics will be driving these speakers?

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't really like PSB claims -10dB @ 28Hz but NRC shows -10 around 38Hz. Presumably PSB specs are in-room, but that's still barely enough to be useful. Definitely not impressive, or IMO, "full range" given the audibility of bass in general. The slope definitely implies they're made to be used with a sub, which is fine if advertised as such.
NRC anechoic chamber is only accurate down to ~100hz.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I read the full review and testing on the JBL 590. It seemed to do very well in testing. For the price that would be my choice. You also would not "have" to have a sub, but your existing sub would do nicley. That would make for a very inexpensive but high performing system.

1. One free sub you already own.
2. JBL 590s refurbed with 5 year warranty!!

Inexpensive yet will sound fantastic. You really can't beat this and then you start saving for that mega buck system. But I have to warn you, mega buck systems unless set up right (time, money, room treatment) often do not sound better than your inexpensive system. Be prepared for a big let down. If it seems A LOT better than that means you are one lucky guy. So, I think it is time to buy those 5 year warranty JBL 590s and enjoy!

tw 2022

@tw 2022 Trying to avoid stands, but will take a look, thanks
you bet , they are great speakers overall too.. they recently won a speakerfest "shoot out" here in phoenix involving other $2000 and less bookshelf speakers...they are very neutral and dig plenty deep to not need a sub with music...

Elitzur–Vaidman

Looking on the Hartman site I can get pair of refurbed JBL 590s for $760. Good deal? Anyone purchased refurbs before from Hartman? Good quality? Issues? Seems they have free returns within 30 days if there is an issue.
At that price, you're saving $40 off the lowest "new" price they sell for. Regardless, I think that's a killer deal, and you can probably EQ its extension down to the low to mid-20s if you trade headroom and your room isn't too large.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
At that price, you're saving $40 off the lowest "new" price they sell for. Regardless, I think that's a killer deal, and you can probably EQ its extension down to the low to mid-20s if you trade headroom and your room isn't too large.
@Elitzur–Vaidman @Spkrdctr I just pulled the trigger and ordered the refurbed 590s ! Actually been wanting a pair of these for a while, but could not find them anywhere, and now they pop up, low risk for this price and also have warranty and 30 day free return. Seems to be a no-brainer at $760. But for the record, i would not pay $2k for these ;-)

Supposed to arrive this Thursday, will keep everyone posted!

Thanks for all the recommends, will keep the others in my back pocket in case the 590s don't work out

Elitzur–Vaidman

@Elitzur–Vaidman @Spkrdctr I just pulled the trigger and ordered the refurbed 590s ! Actually been wanting a pair of these for a while, but could not find them anywhere, and now they pop up, low risk for this price and also have warranty and 30 day free return. Seems to be a no-brainer at $760. But for the record, i would not pay $2k for these ;-)

Thanks for all the recommends, will keep the others in my back pocket in case the 590s don't work out
Congrats! I got a pair of 580s for $550 that I use in a pretty small TV room. I rarely use more than 1W each, so I'm going to get a minidsp 2x4HD and EQ in a bunch of sub-bass

tw 2022

that's probably a good choice for your needs...

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Congrats! I got a pair of 580s for $550 that I use in a pretty small TV room. I rarely use more than 1W each, so I'm going to get a minidsp 2x4HD and EQ in a bunch of sub-bass
@Elitzur–Vaidman Thanks! Indeed I am looking forward to that higher sensitivity, plan to drive them with an older (yet very robust) Onkyo receiver so I don't have to drag out my big gun amps ;-)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It will be a good metric for seeing what speaker you should get for 30K.

The Studio 590 is a spectacular speaker limited only by looks and being top heavy. It is the last Greg Timbers/Jerry Moro designed speaker, which has some of the Harman/Floyd Toole science with Greg’s hand waving “dynamics” and subjective sound signature.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Elitzur–Vaidman @Spkrdctr I just pulled the trigger and ordered the refurbed 590s ! Actually been wanting a pair of these for a while, but could not find them anywhere, and now they pop up, low risk for this price and also have warranty and 30 day free return. Seems to be a no-brainer at $760.

That's an outstanding deal. Very nice!!

Top Bottom