• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full range floorstanders ~$1500 budget

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Or wants 1500 USD speaker before he finds the 30k holy grail speakers.
Or two systems.
Does it matter?
A topic like this can help others as well.
@Bleib Well said, you stated the situation exactly correct … this is to tide me over until I get the “big guns” and will also keep as a separate system in smaller room. And indeed I hope this will also help others. So many choices in this price range. Thank you

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
You found a sweet spot in price/performance. The speakers that are listed here are seemingly great recommendations. Some have been tested and come with great recommendations. I would cancel the DFR 52 and put the Revel F36 in its place. Now your list would be very good. I looked at them on the manufacturers websites, looked at the specs and it is a very tough choice. It seemed like the Arendal 1961 had the best bass performance, but I didn't do a deep dive into each speaker. I'm really at a loss. So many good speakers all around the same price. It is almost a crap shoot. I personally find that buying the best bass performance means the speakers usually sound top notch. But, if you have a good subwoofer, it will not matter. Very tough decision, I'm glad you are making it and not me! :)

Let us know what you decide and how you like whatever you bought!
@Spkrdctr Well said. Yeah, very tough choice, many options, that’s why I asked for help! Likely will not be able to audition all of these in store, so trying to narrow down. Will add the F36 for sure. Thank you

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
OP must have read about diminishing returns.
@DMill Not at all the case … you are basically stating I have decided I can get same performance from $1500 speaker as $30k. Oh how I wish that were true. With that said, indeed you do get to a certain price point and the money per performance relationship definitely flattens out. Exactly where that is at I am not sure yet

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
You can currently get a pair of Heco Aurora 700 for € 500-600,- in Germany (perhaps also in the EU) and a pair of Heco Aurora 1000 from around € 1000,-.
@Roland68 Yeah, I did have my eye on those, but ruled them out as I have read build quality is sub-par. But I may add them back to short list. Again, so many choice. Thanks

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I just looked at the subject, Ctrl+F KEF and didn't find anything. So I'm just gonna say. With a proper deal you can get KEF R5 for 1500$ and I think it's hard to beat them at this price point.
@digitalfrost Thanks, will take a look!

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Revel Concerta f36 is on sale in the states for $770/ea. But tifune asks a very good question. They aren’t gonna get you to 20Hz
Just took a look at the F36 and LF FR is only 51 Hz … I will not be using a sub, so I don’t think those will work. Would like to have at least 40Hz

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Looking on the Hartman site I can get pair of refurbed JBL 590s for $760. Good deal? Anyone purchased refurbs before from Hartman? Good quality? Issues? Seems they have free returns within 30 days if there is an issue.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Erin raved over these https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/wharfedale_linton_85/
Maybe not technically a floor stander. But if you're OK with the stands I don't see much of a difference.
I'm not sure about their price with stands now, the might be a bit over your budget.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Erin raved over these https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/wharfedale_linton_85/
Maybe not technically a floor stander. But if you're OK with the stands I don't see much of a difference.
I'm not sure about their price with stands now, the might be a bit over your budget.
@Trouble Maker I actually was looking at those as a possibility. But I have read mixed reviews. A bit above the range, but if I can get that much more performance for $300 more, I would stretch it. A little concerned about the WAF . Will add them to the list for now. Thanks

mglobe

Forum Donor
Yup … that hunt is ongoing. This ask is for a separate smaller room system that I don’t want to dump too much funds into, want to keep as much as possible for my end game system!
Sorry if that was rude, but I had to ask. I’ll take your word for it.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning

A pair of KEF Q950 for $1600 is pretty solid, if you want bass down to 30Hz without a sub.

But personally, I would rather stretch the budget another $500, get a pair of KEF R3 for $1500, and an SVS PB-1000 for $500.

Or a pair of Revel M16 for $700, and an SVS PB-1000 Pro for $800. I think bookshelf speakers + decent sub is better value than towers. You get superior bass extension and placement flexibility that way.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@GXAlan You don’t even know me and not helpful at all. Very serious about both. Some of the end game speakers i am considering are a ways out before release, so I need something to keep me satisfied in the meantime in a smaller room
Sorry. Your question was presented out of context. I apologize for the personal attack and it was uncalled for.

If you have $31.5k to spend on two systems, you really should take the advice I offered last time. You need two different “styles” of speakers. There are $1500 speakers that will beat $30k speakers for narrow criteria. If you get two speakers that aim for the same dispersion and downward slope in room, it’s a bit of a waste.

I would recommend getting a used Magnepan MG3.6R/3.7i to complement your future endgame perfect spinorama speaker. As long as the seller has the protective magnets for the ribbon tweeters, it is pretty easy to ship Magnepans. If the seller doesn’t have original boxes, you can just buy replacement boxes from Magnepan.

AlexanderM

These have tested well here, the bookshelfs.

I believe these are the towers that go with the DBR62

All Revels test well here, these are on sale.

This is a very good price, you'd need a sub.

Some ideas.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I think OP is a woman
Seriously? Why do some people insist upon behaving like toddlers? If you don’t have something constructive to say, then please don’t waste my or others time that are genuinely trying to learn. Grow up

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think F36 and a sub. Yeah over budget, and you didn't want a sub. You have to expect that. If you want $1500 speakers you have to ask us for $1000 speakers. We cannot help spending a little extra of other people's money. ;)

Top Bottom