• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full range floorstanders ~$1500 budget

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It will be a good metric for seeing what speaker you should get for 30K.

The Studio 590 is a spectacular speaker limited only by looks and being top heavy. It is the last Greg Timbers/Jerry Moro designed speaker, which has some of the Harman/Floyd Toole science with Greg’s hand waving “dynamics” and subjective sound signature.
imo people don't need to spend anywhere near 30k to get great sound and looks , the bmr towers are about 4 grand... good luck beating those at any price...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread ended up having a great closure and sounds like @MKR is happy/satisfied. :)
@GXAlan; thank you for the youtube link to that Magnepan LRS manufacturing process!
That speaker is not just made in the (hi labor costs??) USA but every piece seems to be fabricated in-house and every process-step manually done by hand. :oops:
Surprising that the pricing is below a 4-figure outlay!

Bren Derlin

Blow your budget by $100 and get these? Dynaudio Evoke 30 - $1600/pair

Depending the size of your room, I'd be tempted to go with these instead of floor standing speakers...

Revel M16 - $700/pair
Revel Speaker Stand - $275
Rel HT1003 - $600

Total = $1575 <---- you could come in way under this with less expensive speaker stands. This is one fantastic little rig that'll make a $1,500 budget EXTREMELY happy - and it's damn near 20Hz to 20Khz

I have this very set-up, and I compared them directly to my Polk LSi15 floor standing speakers - and I preferred that M16 rig above to the LSi15 towers. ...and it wasn't by a small margin.

Last edited:

MarcT

Forum Donor
It's always much appreciated by me when the OP follows up regularly and advises the others on the thread about a final purchase and then any observations after using the product for a while.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
It's always much appreciated by me when the OP follows up regularly and advises the others on the thread about a final purchase and then any observations after using the product for a while.
@MarcT You can count on it! Will definitely be sharing my listening observations of the 590s ;-)

Supposed to arrive Thursday, but that seems too good to be true ... we shall see ...

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
To avoid double buying, why not raise your budget to 8351b's, then get the w371a's when you are ready for the 30k system? When you have the dream system up, maybe you will not need a second system for another room. And if you decide you really need that smaller system then you already have a benchmark to determine your own point of diminishing returns.
@theshade Thank you for your advice. The issue is there are some new speakers that I am very interested in for the "end game" system that will not be on the market for another 2-3 months. So, I need something to carry me until then (I had sold all of my previous speakers few years back due to overseas move, so I have had nothing, and can't take the audio wasteland any longer!)

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That speaker is not just made in the (hi labor costs??) USA but every piece seems to be fabricated in-house and every process-step manually done by hand. :oops:
Surprising that the pricing is below a 4-figure outlay!

The Magnepan LRS measures very poorly on the Klippel, but Amir also listened to it in mono as opposed to stereo, and he describes it well: "The Magnepan LRS is a hugely flawed speaker with moments of delight. "

Stereophile's measurements are also helpful
and
AudioXpress

1667243476580.png

Those moments of delight are really special. I personally don't recommend the LRS -- I would recommend restored vintage models over modern smaller models. Magnepan can rebuild any generation of speakers, so if you find broken ones, you can still ship them to the factory for restoration at a fraction of the original cost.

It's also important to know that Magnepan's aren't 100% neutral nor should they be your solo speaker system. But the way they work in-room is actually great.

1) They also do really well after room correction/EQ and give you a larger than life experience.

2) This is also a really good set of measurements of the MG 1.7 showing how the in-room integration/distance makes a difference which is why they measure poorly but actually can sound great in room with sufficient distance.

1667244691686.png

1667244632945.png

DMill

Forum Donor
The Magnepan LRS is a hugely flawed speaker with moments of delight. "
The video previously posted was really great. Looks like a student project but it was nice to see how a Maggie is made. I truly appreciate the craft. Sadly, Ive heard them at a friend’s house and I just feel like they lack so much weight in the bottom. I really wish I could like them as much as my friend. OP wins with a really solid purchase that will always sound great in a 2nd room if he buys some $30k speakers. I think that if I had $30k budget I might spread that around to room improvements and front end equipment. At a 1/3 of the price you are looking at SOTA actives or some of the most amazing looking speakers like a custom finish on a BMR tower.

Battlebeast

KEF Q has only one bass-driver. The two others are slaves. Pretty expensive for this kind of setup is my opinion.

Check out Polk R600 or Polk R700
Not true. The UniQ plays as low as the dedicated bass driver. It also is used for the midrange of course. On my Q750s and Q650 the both drivers play until 500hz then just the UniQ up to the tweeter crossover. So you have 2 bass drivers and 2 passive radiators.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The video previously posted was really great. Looks like a student project but it was nice to see how a Maggie is made. I truly appreciate the craft. Sadly, Ive heard them at a friend’s house and I just feel like they lack so much weight in the bottom. I really wish I could like them as much as my friend. OP wins with a really solid purchase that will always sound great in a 2nd room if he buys some $30k speakers. I think that if I had $30k budget I might spread that around to room improvements and front end equipment. At a 1/3 of the price you are looking at SOTA actives or some of the most amazing looking speakers like a custom finish on a BMR tower.

Which Magnepan's did you hear? If you really think about the Magnepan concept, the original MG-I, MG-II, and MG-III represent the requirements of this design. The original Tympani was even bigger.

You really need a lot of size to get the effect of planar speakers. That really means MG 1.6 and up in size.

The LRS's have to be thought of as a KEF LS50 when it comes to bass response, even though they're physically huge.
The MG 3.7 type of speaker have to be thought of as JBL 708p when it comes to bass, even though they're physically huge.

Last edited:

MrOtto

Not true. The UniQ plays as low as the dedicated bass driver. It also is used for the midrange of course. On my Q750s and Q650 the both drivers play until 500hz then just the UniQ up to the tweeter crossover. So you have 2 bass drivers and 2 passive radiators.
The speaker is designed to look more expensive and more powerful than it is, but the reality is they have bareboned it, making it as cheap as possible without you noticing. This is what you get for your money if you buy a cheaper model range from a higher priced brand. Buy Polk R700 and you get a much much more powerful and capable speaker for about the same money.

Actually, I 'shopped' for them in my living room on a 90 day trial. They sound better than my Paradigms.

Battlebeast

The speaker is designed to look more expensive and more powerful than it is, but the reality is they have bareboned it, making it as cheap as possible without you noticing. This is what you get for your money if you buy a cheaper model range from a higher priced brand. Buy Polk R700 and you get a much much more powerful and capable speaker for about the same money.
Define powerful and capable. I'll take the UniQ dispersion pattern any day over the traditional design, even at the low end.

Xombul

Forum Donor
Erin raved over these https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/wharfedale_linton_85/
Maybe not technically a floor stander. But if you're OK with the stands I don't see much of a difference.
I'm not sure about their price with stands now, the might be a bit over your budget.

Erin raved over these https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/wharfedale_linton_85/
Maybe not technically a floor stander. But if you're OK with the stands I don't see much of a difference.
I'm not sure about their price with stands now, the might be a bit over your budget.
I agree. The Wharfedale Linton are really excellent and very neutral. They sound good out of the box even without EQ. For sure they are too big to be considered as bookshelf loudspeakers!

Alexium

You can currently get a pair of Heco Aurora 700 for € 500-600,- in Germany (perhaps also in the EU) and a pair of Heco Aurora 1000 from around € 1000,-.
Are they good, though? Has anyone measured them?

imo people don't need to spend anywhere near 30k to get great sound and looks , the bmr towers are about 4 grand... good luck beating those at any price...
BMR bookshelves are good, but not flawless. Overpriced, in my opinion (in the sense that there are higher fidelity speakers in this price range). What makes you think towers are better?

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
Are they good, though? Has anyone measured them?
If you google it you will find some test reports and also charts.
Heco loudspeakers are already a price/performance killer at the RRP, with the currently reduced prices it will be very difficult for others.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
UPDATE: Just heard back from Harman (JBL) ... Assuming UPS holds up their end of the bargain, 590s will be delivered this Friday (11/4)! Will post my initial impressions at some point during the weekend :cool:

Alexium

If you google it you will find some test reports and also charts.
Heco loudspeakers are already a price/performance killer at the RRP, with the currently reduced prices it will be very difficult for others.
Audioholics did a review of the 1000 in may, I missed that. They are indeed pretty good, putting them on my short list! Not much info about Aurora 700, though.

Top Bottom