• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full range floorstanders ~$1500 budget

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can tell you that most decent speakers, including towers are gonna need a sub in that price range, an exception would be the jbl 590...

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor

A pair of KEF Q950 for $1600 is pretty solid, if you want bass down to 30Hz without a sub.

But personally, I would rather stretch the budget another $500, get a pair of KEF R3 for $1500, and an SVS PB-1000 for $500.

Or a pair of Revel M16 for $700, and an SVS PB-1000 Pro for $800. I think bookshelf speakers + decent sub is better value than towers. You get superior bass extension and placement flexibility that way.
@alex-z That Q950 looks really nice. Never heard of this seller before. Do they have a good reputation?

And not I do have an old (albeit functionally flawless) Aerial Acoustics SW12 sub I can throw in the room, just was trying to avoid taking up the space, but you guys are twisting my arm

tw 2022

@alex-z That Q950 looks really nice. Never heard of this seller before. Do they have a good reputation?

And not I do have an old (albeit functionally flawless) Aerial Acoustics SW12 sub I can throw in the room, just was trying to avoid taking up the space, but you guys are twisting my arm
That would be a decent choice...Edit a4l is a legit seller, but not a very good return policy.. Maybe check crutchfield...

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Sorry. Your question was presented out of context. I apologize for the personal attack and it was uncalled for.

If you have $31.5k to spend on two systems, you really should take the advice I offered last time. You need two different “styles” of speakers. There are $1500 speakers that will beat $30k speakers for narrow criteria. If you get two speakers that aim for the same dispersion and downward slope in room, it’s a bit of a waste.

I would recommend getting a used Magnepan MG3.6R/3.7i to complement your future endgame perfect spinorama speaker. As long as the seller has the protective magnets for the ribbon tweeters, it is pretty easy to ship Magnepans. If the seller doesn’t have original boxes, you can just buy replacement boxes from Magnepan.
@GXAlan Thank you sir, apology accepted, you are a scholar and a gentleman … understand your comments. I am not looking for “world class” sound for the lower cost system, again just something to get me by for a time. But as I think about it and reading your comments, why settle If I only need to spend a “few” more dollars? Maybe I can have my cake and eat it too …. Hmmmm …..

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I think F36 and a sub. Yeah over budget, and you didn't want a sub. You have to expect that. If you want $1500 speakers you have to ask us for $1000 speakers. We cannot help spending a little extra of other people's money. ;)
@Blumlein 88 LOL … thank you sir

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
These have tested well here, the bookshelfs.

I believe these are the towers that go with the DBR62

All Revels test well here, these are on sale.

This is a very good price, you'd need a sub.

Some ideas.
@AlexanderM Got it, thanks! All on the short list

alex-z

accessories4less is fairly reputable, I recommend them a lot for people looking to buy manufacturer B-stock AV receivers and never get complaints.

AFAIK, those Q950 are "recertified" which means they retain the full 5 year KEF warranty.

There is no replacement for displacement. Getting good bass is easier to do with a subwoofer. Plus you can decide that a certain speaker placement provides the best stereo imaging, while another position has the least room mode interference, and not be forced to pick one or the other.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Thats the nice thing of the internet, you search and find look at the specs, and collect your own set of data.
That is what internet makes so great. instead of "hey just let others do the work for me'
Not starting a war just giving my opinion on your questions here.
And a woman in general terms doesn't know what she wants. one day this next day that.
@diddley I have done PLENTY of my own research, hence the short list. And your comment was very sexist, by the way, and I am MALE.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@GXAlan Thank you sir, apology accepted, you are a scholar and a gentleman … understand your comments. I am not looking for “world class” sound for the lower cost system, again just something to get me by for a time. But as I think about it and reading your comments, why settle If I only need to spend a “few” more dollars? Maybe I can have my cake and eat it too …. Hmmmm …..

Do you like steak or fish? Vanilla ice cream or chocolate cake? Wine or coffee?

You can do the calculations to figure out what is the most popular meal or dessert based upon sales, etc.

No question that you won’t go wrong with a scientifically designed speaker.

BUT you have to ask yourself why certain designs persist. You need to pair a point source design like a coaxial with an omnipolar/planar design. The Magnepan’s with true ribbons (not the budget LRS line) are spectacular. If you think about headphones vs standard speakers, planar speakers are the other extreme for “larger than life” soundstage which is artificial but gosh, really well sounding.

The MG 2.5R/2.6R is another good option.

I am less of fan of the basic models but they have in home trials.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
accessories4less is fairly reputable, I recommend them a lot for people looking to buy manufacturer B-stock AV receivers and never get complaints.

AFAIK, those Q950 are "recertified" which means they retain the full 5 year KEF warranty.

There is no replacement for displacement. Getting good bass is easier to do with a subwoofer. Plus you can decide that a certain speaker placement provides the best stereo imaging, while another position has the least room mode interference, and not be forced to pick one or the other.
@alex-z Got it, thank you

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Do you like steak or fish? Vanilla ice cream or chocolate cake? Wine or coffee?

You can do the calculations to figure out what is the most popular meal or dessert based upon sales, etc.

No question that you won’t go wrong with a scientifically designed speaker.

BUT you have to ask yourself why certain designs persist. You need to pair a point source design like a coaxial with an omnipolar/planar design. The Magnepan’s with true ribbons (not the budget LRS line) are spectacular. If you think about headphones vs standard speakers, planar speakers are the other extreme for “larger than life” soundstage which is artificial but gosh, really well sounding.

The MG 2.5R/2.6R is another good option.

I am less of fan of the basic models but they have in home trials.

@GXAlan I hear ya … never really considered Magnepan, just never interested me. Plus due to size there is a serious WAF here, but I will condisder. Thanks again for the thoughtful comments.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@MKR, the way I would look at it. You are buying a 911 today and saving up for a 911GT2. The $30K speaker will better than the 1.5K speaker but you might be happier with a 3K speaker and a 28.5K flagship.

My recommendation is saying that you should get the 911 GT3 or 911 Turbo S instead of the 911 GT2 and add a Land Cruiser that is fully decked out for off roading…

Otherwise your 1.5k setup is a setup you will never use once you get your 30k setup.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
I can tell you that most decent speakers, including towers are gonna need a sub in that price range, an exception would be the jbl 590...
@tw 2022 Hence part of reason I had my eyeballs on the 590 … I can get a refurbed pair for ~$800 !

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@GXAlan I hear ya … never really considered Magnepan, just never interested me. Plus due to size there is a serious WAF here, but I will condisder. Thanks again for the thoughtful comments.

The magnepans are surprisingly spouse friendly since the line source characteristics are easily appreciated by your spouse. Since the volume decays at 1/r instead of 1/r^2, you don’t need to listen as loud and if this is a shared space like a living room, it’s not too loud if you stand closer to the speaker versus are further away. So even though your dB at listening position is the same, the dB closer to the speaker is lower so it is less grating. The white or black fabric can help the setup blend somewhat. I imagine your wife is pretty understanding of your hobby :)

You will want to get one with an in home trial though.

For something that is more furniture friendly, you do NOT want the Studio 590. They are uglier in person and they unfortunately are top heavy and at risk for toppling over. They do sound great though. I had a pair and returned them due to the top-heavy design.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
@MKR, the way I would look at it. You are buying a 911 today and saving up for a 911GT2. The $30K speaker will better than the 1.5K speaker but you might be happier with a 3K speaker and a 28.5K flagship.

My recommendation is saying that you should get the 911 GT3 or 911 Turbo S instead of the 911 GT2 and add a Land Cruiser that is fully decked out for off roading…

Otherwise your 1.5k setup is a setup you will never use once you get your 30k setup.
@GXAlan Well said and agreed, thank you

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering your room size; I recommend you also audition the Magnepan LRS+.
You may supplement them w/a a sub, at a later date and still be under the $1.5k...

DMill

Forum Donor
@DMill Not at all the case … you are basically stating I have decided I can get same performance from $1500 speaker as $30k. Oh how I wish that were true. With that said, indeed you do get to a certain price point and the money per performance relationship definitely flattens out. Exactly where that is at I am not sure yet
Thats not how diminishing returns works. Just means that $30k is gonna get you less than you might think. No one can really say where the market “flattens“ out. More money can probably get you a bit more. Maggie’s are a very polarizing speaker Btw. Not my cup of tea and think they may be the worst looking thing I’d ever put in my living room. But many love them.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Check Youtube reviews for the ZU Audio Dirty weekend. Got a pair last year and love them. It's a full range driver with a super tweeter,
Zu is not so well regarded around here:

Top Bottom