• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fostex PM.03 Active Speaker Review

Stoogie

I've had the PM0.5D with the mini sub for nearly 2 years now got it on clearance sale for around $330 AUD, It is used as computer speakers about 50cm away, I had to EQ it harman+2khz+4khz lowered due to design/flaw, and some preference for a tiny bit lower mids tiny bit lower 4khz and it sounds perfect for me so its definitely EQable just takes a while.. (tweeter at 1-2cm lower ear height, triangle slightly facing outwards, hollow 140cmx70cm desk + 1cm 2 layer blu taked together cardboard under the speakers, the desk in particular affects the sound in a positive way, maybe its because of the metal hollow loop legs, due to the energy going through it or rather the hollow wood design of 5cm thick with 3-4cm hollow lines verticularly whatever that is called, ive hard wooden full desks before and that makes any speaker sound bad, muddy and full of mids that destroy the sound for me)

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
I've had the PM0.5D with the mini sub for nearly 2 years now got it on clearance sale for around $330 AUD, It is used as computer speakers about 50cm away, I had to EQ it harman+2khz+4khz lowered due to design/flaw, and some preference for a tiny bit lower mids tiny bit lower 4khz and it sounds perfect for me so its definitely EQable just takes a while.. (tweeter at 1-2cm lower ear height, triangle slightly facing outwards, hollow 140cmx70cm desk + 1cm 2 layer blu taked together cardboard under the speakers, the desk in particular affects the sound in a positive way, maybe its because of the metal hollow loop legs, due to the energy going through it or rather the hollow wood design of 5cm thick with 3-4cm hollow lines verticularly whatever that is called, ive hard wooden full desks before and that makes any speaker sound bad, muddy and full of mids that destroy the sound for me)
Any pre/ post eq FR can we see?

YSC

Major Contributor
I'm too poor and don't have access to any gear to do measurements, all by ear, think of it sounding like a ath-m50 (not x) or swan m10's.
ic, too bad then we are not sure what actually changed in the FR results in, the fostex are great performer at a really tight budget IMO.

Stoogie

ic, too bad then we are not sure what actually changed in the FR results in, the fostex are great performer at a really tight budget IMO.
Yea they sound better(I'm not an audiophile) like fuller mids and you can barely hear that rubbery sound cause the woofer is made out of it and kevlar, compared to like dry metal cheaper speakers, if that makes sense. the 2khz crossover boost is because its a passive cross and droops there?, 4khz i dont understand but its ear bleeding and needs to be lowered that far.

I looked at harman curve 2015 values which are below, they are slightly higher mids than mine, the harman sound worse to me.
Harman curve from flat
125; -3.4db
250; -5.6db
500db; -4.4db
1k; -3db
2k; +2db
(3k; +7db)
4k; +5.4db
8k; -0.8db
16k; ?

lordearl

Wow that's an incredible price you got the PM0.5 for! I'm in Aus as well and just ordered the PM0.4 at half price, will report in on the sound when they arrive.
Current sale is here if anyone also wants to join the Fostex PM club:

@Stoogie how much benefit did you get from adding the mini sub? Not sure adding a sub which costs more than the speakers themselves would be worthwhile given the minimalist form factor of these speakers?

isostasy

Hi everyone,

When using these speakers I have a big bump at 150Hz. Here is a quick and dirty measurement, just one position but I believe communicates my problem well enough (so ignore above 500Hz):

pm03.jpg

I'm new to speakers so I do not know what's going on here or what I need to do to fix it. I'm guessing the big dip after the 150Hz peak is related somehow and that it's something to do with my room or where I've put the speakers?

Thanks!

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi everyone,

When using these speakers I have a big bump at 150Hz. Here is a quick and dirty measurement, just one position but I believe communicates my problem well enough (so ignore above 500Hz):

View attachment 299453

I'm new to speakers so I do not know what's going on here or what I need to do to fix it. I'm guessing the big dip after the 150Hz peak is related somehow and that it's something to do with my room or where I've put the speakers?

Thanks!
150hz is quite common for desk reflection, you could try find something to lift your PM0.3 to ear level at tweeter height and it should be a lot better

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hi everyone,

View attachment 299453

Thanks!
I have them on my desk as long as I can remember,never bothered to measure them as they are not speakers for critical listening,just for convenience.
But if this peak is present on mine too I would consider it a guilty pleasure :p

Fun aside,is a normal desk untreated response,just EQ it and let them be.

isostasy

150hz is quite common for desk reflection, you could try find something to lift your PM0.3 to ear level at tweeter height and it should be a lot better
Thank you, I do have them elevated but on their own wall shelves above my desk so this would fit your explanation.

YSC

Major Contributor
Thank you, I do have them elevated but on their own wall shelves above my desk so this would fit your explanation.
Try pull it out a bit and minimise the front shelf “floor” in front of the speaker and it should improve

lordearl

desk stands might be a good option?
I've seen some that clamp to a desk and you can move the angle around - great for studio monitors

stoo23

Another VERY Happy PM0.4 owner here :) (Unbelievably I got the pair for $50.00Aus)
Initially running them Direct from PC via a JBL Nano Patch (Volume Control) and whilst they were great, my recent purchase of the S.M.S.L. C200 DAC, has 'Transformed' them !! :)
I too would Love to get the Mini SUB2 but is beyond my budget atm :(

Just after I found and purchased the PM0.4's I found a PM0.5 system, (with the correct Sub), for only slightly More than the price of the Sub !!

isostasy

Another VERY Happy PM0.4 owner here :) (Unbelievably I got the pair for $50.00Aus)
Initially running them Direct from PC via a JBL Nano Patch (Volume Control) and whilst they were great, my recent purchase of the S.M.S.L. C200 DAC, has 'Transformed' them !! :)
I too would Love to get the Mini SUB2 but is beyond my budget atm :(

Just after I found and purchased the PM0.4's I found a PM0.5 system, (with the correct Sub), for only slightly More than the price of the Sub !!
Do you mean PM0.3? That is the model reviewed here, PM0.4 is bigger.

I find the mini sub2 essential with the PM0.3 as the bass rolls off so fast below 200Hz. You could get that PM0.5 + sub set and sell the PM0.5s to keep the sub, or ask to purchase the sub separately?

stoo23

No someone else mentioned the PM0.4 earlier and I was just adding my approval of them :)
You could get that PM0.5 + sub set and sell the PM0.5s to keep the sub, or ask to purchase the sub separately?
I was thinking the same thing, but if I did, I'd probably keep the Whole PM0.5 System and sell the PM0.4's :)

Top Bottom