• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone tried the Nobsound Mini Dual TPA3116?

<CD

I'm looking for one of those cheap, chip amps and wondered if anyone has any experience with this one. All opinions welcome!

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm looking for one of those cheap, chip amps and wondered if anyone has any experience with this one. All opinions welcome!
Any mention of output impedance? If not, it's probably way too high for most headphones.
For amp stage no clue of performance without third party measurement ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor

These power amps are not of the same quality as say hypex modules and the likes but will work fine for delivering raw power in most 'occasional listening' low impedance (4 Ohm) systems.
For driving high quality loudspeakers I would spend a bit more money on amplification ;)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I am a great fan of the TPAxxxx family from TI. I have used a lot of cards since 2011 with TPA3116 and also bought some cards with dual TPA3116 and even in the box like the Nobsound, maybe with another "brand" engraved on the front plate. Checked: it is Breeze Audio!

1567064378018.png

The cost is low and it sounds correct so this is why I recommended this kind of unit to friends.

I used one during months when I was in China (and my audio toys in my home country) and continue to use one in the bedroom back home now. But went to another tpa solution because I wanted something simpler, a raspberry Pi and x400 card plugged in the gpio, so it is only one box and one power unit.

My main complaint is the box is too small to change things (speaker cables and RCA) so I think if you never change anything it's ok but if you change things you have to find a bigger box or build yourself as I did with the X400 card powered by TPA3118.

Another point, I used a computer power block and to me 20V is the sweet pot, but it runs with 12V if you want, and it's possible to go down as low as 5/6V!

Last edited:

BillG

Major Contributor
OP
C

<CD

I should have mentioned that I'll be using it to power my 96db/watt Klipsch rp-600m speakers (stunning in piano black, well worth the $100 upgrade charge!)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Do note that I read some complaints about background noise in some particular models.
With such high efficiency speakers this is an aspect that you should look into.

zermak

I used one of these dual TPA3116 but it has a huge noise problems after half pot (if I recall, maybe earlier) and so it was kinda useless for me using it on my desktop speakers with not so efficient fullrange drivers (Mark Audio CHR-70A).
Maybe there is some guide to reduce the hum/noise shorting some pins or removing some caps. I had a similar issue with a cheap BT amp module buzzing all the time and solved it reading some guide so there is a possible cheap way to make it sound better.
Another issues was the unbalanced volume with the cheap pot.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am a great supporter of the argument that you do not need to spend a fortune on amplification and that the bulk of the budget should go to the speakers, but I wonder if with these units the argument is not pushed too far.
At the same time, my Ava MAestro 50 bedroom system similarly uses some TI chips, a TAS5342L and TAS5086. It only has digital inputs, which serves me fine with a CCA. Sound quality is ok as long as you do not push the volume too much. It easily drives a pair of QAcoustic 3010s but could not cope with my Harbeth P3ESRs. The big attraction for me is that it has auto on/off, so we have it hidden away, and turn it on and off by casting from the CCA. It does not get very hot either, so there is no fire risk in the clothing cabinet.

BillG

Major Contributor
I wonder if with these units the argument is not pushed too far.

I find these little TI based amps to be just fine for bedroom/office/ library/den systems. On my V200BT, which I also used with a Chromecast Audio, it sounded just fine unless pushed really hard at 100% volume. It was rare that I used it that way, though, as it was just too damned loud then. The vast majority of the time, it was running at 50% volume or less...

By the way, here's an analysis someone on another forum ran on it and several others in its price range:

comparaison.png

v200d.png

v200r.png

sajunky

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I should have mentioned that I'll be using it to power my 96db/watt Klipsch rp-600m speakers (stunning in piano black, well worth the $100 upgrade charge!)
According to Zero Fidelity on YouTube, the RP-600M has great synergy with another TPA3116-based integrated amp, Loxjie A10. It was only his subjective opinion, nothing objective though.

OP
C

<CD

According to Zero Fidelity on YouTube, the RP-600M has great synergy with another TPA3116-based integrated amp, Loxjie A10. It was only his subjective opinion, nothing objective though.

Hmmm...(said while stroking my whiskers) I'm not married to the Nobsound. You've given me another contender to consider. Thanks! :)

Ellisr63

I am running some Nobsound 2x50w power amps with Klipsch rp160m speakers, and they sound fine. I think they were about $40 after purchasing a Power supply for them. Claude over on the Klipsch forum swears by them, and he is powering k402s with them...of course he is using less than 1 watt to drive them.

OP
C

<CD

I'm new here, so just to certify my bonafides as a true-blue audiophool I'd like to announce that I wound up buying a tube amp! :p

It's the BOYUU A10 EL34 based amp. The point to point wiring is what pushed me over the edge. Won't get here from Chiner for a few weeks, but somehow I'll get by...

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a number of them. Out the box, the gain is set way too high on them. That gives them a high noise floor, and a volume knob that increases too quickly. The fix is simple, remove and install a couple SMD resistors. The resistors are extremely small, and you better have great eye sight, and steady hands to do the job.

Before
9FhQiix.jpg

After
nAGqvvs.jpg

typericey

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm new here, so just to certify my bonafides as a true-blue audiophool I'd like to announce that I wound up buying a tube amp! :p

It's the BOYUU A10 EL34 based amp. The point to point wiring is what pushed me over the edge. Won't get here from Chiner for a few weeks, but somehow I'll get by...

There is also a nobsound tube amp, that would pair better with the OP mentioned brand.
And that also has meters, you are missing out on that as well.

Add that the Boyuu will sound crap the first week or so given the remark:

Warm reminder: You should take about 30-100h time to operate the amp.RUN-IN to the amp gives it's best and stable sound.So during the first 100h use time the sound maybe is not the best,you can also use your own run-in method.

The nobsound doesn't have that warning. Instead it states:
  • Its sound output is full of analog style. The bass part is deep and powerful and the vocal part is sweet and intoxicating.
  • It has a classic and graceful appearance. The VU meters and vacuum tubes makes it more elegant and attractive.

Gabs

Hi,
Do you know this ?
https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index

I really hesitate to buy it for my planars.
I have the Alientek D8 and am pretty happy with it. The only thing is that when you push the volume up there is a huge DR compression (speakers).

Top Bottom