• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 19.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 364 76.3%

• Total voters

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Fosi Audio Could you give us some more information regarding the power supply that would be on the 6.3 Ampere bench?
We apologize for the late response. Our team is currently investigating this matter. We will conduct a more comprehensive test on the power supply and also verify the situation with the manufacturer, Huntkey. We will post updates regarding this issue as soon as possible. :)

amix

@Fosi Audio 's silence these days and the new measurements have convinced me to change reward from single 48V 10(?)a to double 48v 5a
What's the price for these two supplies? I wonder whether two of the Siyima GaN 10A PSUs would be that much more expensive.

SMen

Erin talks a bit more about the fosi's in his latest review on the A07Max.

Where he is coming from is that he simply isn't hearing differences with or without PFFB.
I wonder what the ohms are of the speakers he is using are. I have 8ohm speakers so I will be curious to compare the fosi's with my other 3255 ... but I'll pop that on the user thread here in a few weeks time... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...v3-mono-user-impressions-owners-thread.54043/

I hope I do hear after all the hype! ... but at least I suppose the reviewer Erin is deflating the hype.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Thank Amir so much for the measurement! The V3 Mono is another amplifier co-created with members, following the V3 stereo amp. We would particularly like to thank @Toku, @ModDIY , @mike70 , @cyclo, and all the other members who have provided us with invaluable suggestions.

The V3 Mono is our first amp with PFFB implementation. During the period we sent the set to Amir for testing, our R&D team did not stop optimizing the V3 Mono, and we have now further improved its frequency response curve. Below is the chart for your reference.
View attachment 360736

The V3 Mono is currently in production, and it will be launched on Kickstarter on the 20th of this month. There will be very attractive discounts available then, and we hope you'll stay tuned!:)
Fantastic, are you working on a stereo one with the power block integrated?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Where he is coming from is that he simply isn't hearing differences with or without PFFB.
I wonder what the ohms are of the speakers he is using are. I have 8ohm speakers so I will be curious to compare the fosi's with my other 3255 ... but I'll pop that on the user thread here in a few weeks time... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...v3-mono-user-impressions-owners-thread.54043/

I hope I do hear after all the hype! ... but at least I suppose the reviewer Erin is deflating the hype.

If I were in the market for one of these amps, I would definitely want the load-invariant ones with PFFB. But that said, we're typically talking about frequency response deviations from flat of less than 1dB, and below 15kHz in most cases the deviation less than 0.75dB and often less than 0.5dB. That can be very difficult to detect.

In most cases you're more likely to notice that your speakers' bass response changes slightly depending on temperature and humidity.

drmevo

I just bought the A07 Max because I needed a power amp until the V3 monos ship. I’m super-impressed - it sounds fantastic and has plenty of power for me. If the V3M is the same with the added benefit of PFFB (even if it’s mostly imperceptible, nice to know it’s there) I’ll be really happy. I could certainly see keeping the A07 but I want the auto on/off that the V3Ms offer since I often power the system on with my preamp remote.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I like that Erin review...a pretty fair assessment of the A07 MAX. I frankly doubt that most people are going to hear a discernable difference with the new PFFB-implemented amps.

MCH

Major Contributor
it is great that the aiyima a07 max exists. Functionality is good, looks are good, i like the volume knob as Erin does + it allows you to switch it on with a smart plug, no pops on turn on/off and i have not read yet any reports of early death. And all this for a little more than 40 euros shipped when on sale or 60 eur with 48V PSU. I have seen it for 39 euros shipped! I have two of them that are perfect for my use case.
That said, looking under the hood, the component selection is very questionable, no PFFB, and no trigger/sense. I don't think it is comparable to the fosi as monoblock, where the vol control doesn't matter. But it is true that the fosi is much more expensive... so it is good that both options exist. Now, at the same price, i would not have any doubts, fosi any day.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In most cases, the human ear system changes with changes in pressure, temperature and humidity.

Good point! Are you specifically claiming that the human hearing system changes in a corresponding way to speakers so that we don't notice the difference? Or are you just generally pointing out that our hearing apparatus changes with climate conditions?

Negatywny

I like that Erin review...a pretty fair assessment of the A07 MAX.
I like how he is totally unimpressed by the existence of 70$ transparent 250W amplifiers you can move with your dong ;)
Like, super extra unimpressed.

Oh look at this useless piece of absolutely transparent 250W shit, idk, if you have 70$ to loose, but personally i didn't want it for free.
Oh also in the specs they said it could go to 300W, but it goes only 250W, (or you need a bigger psu i don't give a shit), so that's a robbery and i can't endorse that.

WTF dude?

Seriously, if not amirm, watching erins reviews i would think that fosi and aiyima are only trying to scam and hurt me.

redstang

I like how he is totally unimpressed by the existence of 70$ transparent 250W amplifiers you can move with your dong ;)
Like, super extra unimpressed.

Oh look at this useless piece of absolutely transparent 250W shit, idk, if you have 70$ to loose, but personally i didn't want it for free.
Oh also in the specs they said it could go to 300W, but it goes only 250W, (or you need a bigger psu i don't give a shit), so that's a robbery and i can't endorse that.

WTF dude?

Seriously, if not amirm, watching erins reviews i would think that fosi and aiyima are only trying to scam and hurt me.
I like the measurements he's been doing, and has basically said he can't hear a difference between these amps when ABX'ing them which is an interesting anecdote, but his lack of interest in them is pretty lame. Transparent high power amps in small packages at low prices is pretty damn cool. I want to see more people putting these up against expensive fat amps and doing some ABX. I mean, I just noticed Marantz's $9000 PM-10. I'd like to know if you can tell a $8700+ difference between that and some of these amps in a blind ABX.

Zek

Major Contributor
Or are you just generally pointing out that our hearing apparatus changes with climate conditions?
Our hearing apparatus changes with everything, even during the same day it reacts differently in the morning or in the evening, this affects the way we hear how the speakers sound.

SMen

I like the measurements he's been doing, and has basically said he can't hear a difference between these amps when ABX'ing them which is an interesting anecdote, but his lack of interest in them is pretty lame. Transparent high power amps in small packages at low prices is pretty damn cool. I want to see more people putting these up against expensive fat amps and doing some ABX. I mean, I just noticed Marantz's $9000 PM-10. I'd like to know if you can tell a $8700+ difference between that and some of these amps in a blind ABX.
Yes - ABX with his other, I am presuming, much more expensive amps.

DTTOM37

Hi all, is there - after almost 80 pages - any consideration which of the power supply available
within the Kickstarter project offers the best longevity for the amp chip ?

Context: I am considering to drive 2x 15" bass drivers (15OB350 from SB Acoustics / 4 Ohms per channel
- spec sheet say 98dB sensitivity per driver, but I would think rather think 93-956dB, which seems still high)
with them. x-over is at 250hz, thus they seem to be ideal for that task.

Just being afraid that the 48v/10A powe supply would leave me with a risk of overheating. OTOH, I dont play them in the local stadium, but in a 16sqm environment to usually 80-85 dBa.
Any suggestions / considerations ?
Thanx in advance

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hi all, is there - after almost 80 pages - any consideration which of the power supply available

Context: I am considering to drive 2x 15" bass drivers (15OB350 from SB Acoustics / 4 Ohms per channel
- spec sheet say 98dB sensitivity per driver, but I would think rather think 93-956dB, which seems still high)

Just being afraid that the 48v/10A powe supply would leave me with a risk of overheating. OTOH, I dont play them in the local stadium, but in a 16sqm environment to usually 80-85 dBa.
Thanx in advance
I'm sure most of you had a look at the TPA3255's data sheet but just in case I'll repost this:

Thermal.PNG

(link)

That's with burst signals (so closer to music) and with controlled heatshink temp at 75° C (so close to ideal and far but far from limited cooling conditions as with the small case amp here).

My humble opinion is to run these with lower voltage to be safe and have peace of mind,somewhere in the 35-40V region and no more.
Unpopular opinion,I know but I have learn to respect limits and a little extra that this.

(note that the above charts shows power at 10% THD which is ridiculous,no one will push the amp to such a limit,even if the chip allowed to do so)

Last edited:

Lednek

Thanx in advance
I would think a lower voltage(36V) power supply would be easiest on the chip? But you would loose considerable output unless you were driving low impedance speakers. The higher current powered supply might get you some longevity from the powered supply itself, but wouldn't effect the amp chip. It will only pull what it needs. You could hook that up to a 48v 100A power supply and be fine. Likewise, driving low impedance speakers would be harder on the amp chip because it's pulling more current.
TLDR. both higher voltage and amperage will tax the chip. Only the effect of the voltage is controllable via the power supply providing its not starving the amp of current.

Top Bottom