• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 94 20.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 353 76.1%

• Total voters

Tell

You tell me. You brought it up. It's up to you to know or not know. :facepalm:
What? I was asking some other guy, and then you started saying that something was occurring with a mono block.

Kimbrough Xu

How does speaker sensitivity not matter? I don't understand is why the speaker sensitivity would not matter in combination with the amplifier's gain when I have a target SPL. I think I lack an understanding of these relationships.
Amirm means the gain and input voltage determines the output valtage or output power, no matter what the speaker sensitivity is, the output power is determined by the input voltage giving a fixed gain.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? Would you get a pair of mono DACs as well if there where any? Mono DSPs? Mono streamers? How far would you go for that ultra-high end feel? :)
Personally I don't see any reason whatsoever to buy a monoblock unless it's for a sub.
It is you that is pretending to know something. Read your post if you need to. So tell me why would you not get a monoblock?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
You maybe haven't realized the size:

View attachment 360847

You can hold it in your hand,easily, and you have to be careful with the cabling as they can drag it down,it weights only about a kilo.

Maybe a mini desk rack as the ones we see around?

(what kind of speakers is that with the tweeter bolted on the baffle and not flush-mounted? Rendering? )

No, I’m absolutely aware of the size.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Why? Would you get a pair of mono DACs as well if there where any? Mono DSPs? Mono streamers? How far would you go for that ultra-high end feel? :)
Personally I don't see any reason whatsoever to buy a monoblock unless it's for a sub.

It’s cheaper than the stereo alternatives with similar performance at a similar price, perhaps?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
many people claiming against monoblock amp ... and the argument is always the same, it doesn't improve the sound, so, why use that instead to a stereo amp.
Yes, generally is in that way.

But, for people who wants to use monoblocks ... where they will find a pair with decent performance at that price?
Do you understand that is a few bucks over the stereo option?
So, why complain and complain about the decisions of other people if they know what they are doing?

i understand to complain about the normal "audiophile" silly decision to buy an Accuphase at 10k thinking it have the "end of the world" performance. Because it's not.
If that person buys the Acupphase because knows about it, have the money and want it, it's ok.

so, IMHO ... live and let live. People knows the monoblock won't be "night and day" with the stereo version, but is only a few bucks more and we want it for different reasons.
in my case, i like the idea to have very short speaker cables and long XLR signal cables. That's why i want the monoblock. You don't? It's ok for me :)

Exactly. I have no illusions that somehow these will sound any better - or worse for that matter - than a stereo version.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Many powered desktop speakers come with mono amps but for your itch I think you'll need the separated amp cases. What speakers do you use?

Changeable at the moment. But already well-researched.

Currently I’m ‘in-between/rebuilding’.

I’m using a sort of old second system, a Denon UDM31, and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX1s.

New speakers will be Wharfedale Diamond 12.1s, or Revel M16s, or (just possibly) Revel m106s.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Haven't you got that the wrong way around?

What? Similar and similar? I can cut and paste them to swap, if it’s bothering you.

Check out some comparisons here.

The A70 is cheapest, but only by a few bob. Most of the stats are very similar, but the A70 isn’t as powerful.

SMen

Does anyone know the actual dimensions of the V3 mono? @Fosi Audio ? In cm or inches? Sorry if I am staring blindly and missing this! The v3 stereo looks different but is 6.5x4.1x1.4 inches

Kimbrough Xu

Nice little amp. But what about thermals? I don't see any vents in there. Is the body full metal?

Also this is probably me being picky but doesn't this amp bring along all old Class D child ilnesses we have fixed in this day and age?
It uses the whole case as heatsink, and has big holes on both side.

JW001

31dB is probably a bit hot for 2.0V, but 25dB is a bit low- it depends on the steps and range on the D/A's digital volume. I'd set it for 25dB and only change it to 31dB if I was constantly up near 0dB on the D/A's output vol.

I think this little unit could be a really good seller for Fosi.
Does it matter if 31dB is too hot? You need a preamp with volume control anyway…

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd rather have either a pure monoblock like this Fosi or a 2xTPA3255 with a single PSU like the Topping PA7 than a 1xTPA3255 stereo that wouldn't be much cheaper to begin with and that delivers 25% less power at 4ohms.
So you don't want 4 Ohms Z drive capability?
This is completely different than the 50% increase in price with no significant performance increase we see in other price points, $1000 Ncx500 stereo VS $1450 monoblocks for example.
How is it different?

nagster

Thank you @amirm for always reviewing us.
Do you have a stereo pair?
It may seem silly, like measuring the channel deviation of a relay-type attenuator, but if you have time, please measure the crosstalk. I'm interested in what will actually happen.

Kimbrough Xu

Stereo version should be promising )
Now, to be honest I would wait for the O-NOORUS D1 PFFB Stereo amp with :
- PRE OUT
- Subwoofer
- Volume Control Potentiometer / Bypass mode
- Tone Control (bass / treble) / Tone bypass
- Remote control
- Digital front panel display

The TPA3255 PFFB amp war has been launched) :)

20240108_2023-yearend-news-210_nyt_ac.jpg
What is O-NOORUS D1?

Top Bottom