• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Twin6 Be Studio Monitor Review

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

headshake

Also, I swear I heard sibilance which I would expect to see in the data around the 6-8kHz region, though, I am not seeing it. I wonder if this is simply the overall level because you can clearly see in the in-room measurements (taken nearfield) the high frequency response is tilted up the closer you are to the speaker.

I wonder if it is the tilt of the tweeter or the fact that it is a Be tweeter? Do you remember what track it was?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Do you remember what track it was?

Every. Single. One.

No kidding. That's what made me notice it. If it was just one track then I'd be more apt to think it's my hearing or something of an anomaly. But it was pretty much every track I listened to.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Not sure what this offers at the price honestly. That’s JBL 708/Neumann KH310 money for a second-tier driver arrangement.
They're seriously overpriced in the US. In Europe they're about $1550 each instead of $2200. Still not a good value, but Focal's distributor markup in the US is insane. But yes, $4400 is a lot for the performance which is not competitive at that price point under basically any circumstances.

SynthesisCinema

They must be decent speakers as DTS used these in their 7.1 demo room, although 10 years ago. ;)

https://www.mixonline.com/the-wire/focal-twin6-be-monitors-installed-dts-demo-room-414015

5359a168230ae.jpg.c1f3916b6d8e74d25a0171106979642d.jpg

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are your impressions of the Solo6? Thanks

I haven't heard them in my living room yet, where I do most of my other listening tests. But they sound very much like a typical focal bookshelf speaker lol (a sound I like!). I need to compare them directly against the Chora to see how obvious the difference is since the Solo 6 Be is actually the cheapest way to get Focal's top of the line W sandwich woofer and beryllium tweeter. The Sopra 1 is like $10,000 a pair lol whereas the Solo6 be has the same type of drivers plus built in amps for just $3,000 a pair.

They're seriously overpriced in the US. In Europe they're about $1550 each instead of $2200. Still not a good value, but Focal's distributor markup in the US is insane. But yes, $4400 is a lot for the performance which is not competitive at that price point under basically any circumstances.

I remember when I realized the Focal Chora 806 was only like €600 in France... I think they are already a great sound quality deal at $1000, let alone at roughly $715. Those are speakers I consider to be roughly competitive with pretty much any passive bookshelf speaker I've heard (as someone who prefers wider directivity over perfectly controlled directivity).

Descartes

Major Contributor
I have updated my reviews with a linearity metric and a statement regarding sensitivity/linearity to help people more easily see. I was doing this before but forgot to include this in my latest reviews.

Response linearity is -2.81/+2.81 dB from 80Hz to 16kHz.

Focal%20Twin6%20Be%20FR_Linearity.png

Does not look as good as Revel Performa 126Be

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but is still the wrong approach.
I agree but they looks so nice for me that I personally would give them a listen if I would want to buy loudspeakers for listeing to music (not producing) in that price range. Also according to the S&R review Prof. Goertz despite rating the measurements as mediocre seems to really enjoyed their sound.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember when I realized the Focal Chora 806 was only like €600 in France...
Even more impressive is that you can get often a pair of Aria 906 for that price in France.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Jumping in where angels fear to tread, I'm not sure about this so-called 'BBC Dip.' Up until the early 80's, I seem to recall BBC monitors were pretty flat all through and they'd written papers on how important dispersion off axis was (I think various BBC research papers can be downloaded if you google for them). The famous Spendor BC1 which the BBC bought in hundreds as general sound boxes, from which the little sold original LS3/6 was derived, was pretty well flat across the lower kHz region (the low bass was it's issue but not too bad if placed high up). It wasn't until the 'polypropylene era' that the upper mid dip was introduced on 5/8's and 5/9's and this may well have been for the listening comfort of near-field balance engineers for all I know, the more distant perspectives being preferred perhaps?

Dips at crossover are commonplace it appears but whether this brings iffy dispersion into it as here, I don't know. I thought these Focals may be better than this and at least the tweeter doesn't take your fillings out as the better passive models from a few years back could. I heard the £1200 Chora's not too long ago and liked them (apart from the 'leaning back' stance, but whether they too have the 'safe' lower kHz dip or not I've no idea..

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even more impressive is that you can get often a pair of Aria 906 for that price in France.
For 600€? Way cheaper during every Winter and Summer Sales. I paid mine 440€, @daftcombo had a pair for 416€. Cheapest I saw was 399/pair.

Weird thing is lower-end Chora are often more expensive. But Arias are 8 years old by now.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For 600€? Way cheaper during every Winter and Summer Sales. I paid mine 440€, @daftcombo had a pair for 416€. Cheapest I saw was 399/pair.

Weird thing is lower-end Chora are often more expensive.
Very true, hope someone will post here in ASR when there are sales again as at that price I am really tempted to get a pair for my loudspeaker collection.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very true, hope someone will post here in ASR when there are sales again as at that price I am really tempted to get a pair for my loudspeaker collection.
I did a while ago. This deal happened quite a few times since.
I don't remember where you are from (?). I'm not sure how much overseas shipping/custom will add to the final cost.:confused:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Up until the early 80's, I seem to recall BBC monitors were pretty flat all through and they'd written papers on how important dispersion off axis was (I think various BBC research papers can be downloaded if you google for them). The famous Spendor BC1 which the BBC bought in hundreds as general sound boxes, from which the little sold original LS3/6 was derived, was pretty well flat across the lower kHz region (the low bass was it's issue but not too bad if placed high up).
On axis they were quite flat, but due to non usage of waveguides they had usually a directivity discontinuity between mid(-woofer) and tweeter which they usually place that the presence region, here are couple of examples (look what happens at higher angles in the presence region):
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bbc-ls35a-loudspeaker-1989-measurements
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/harbeth_30_domestic/

Top Bottom