• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fleetwood Deville

rman9

I just read a comment from owner Oliver of Delve Audio saying compared to Fleetwood Deville speakers, Magico A series is a con game.. His store sells Fleetwood speakers.. that just about killed my curiosity in them

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would a speaker company recycle old Cadillac model names?
Since Cadillac has abandoned traditional names for CTs and XTs, why not recycle a naming convention that has an actual historic meaning? And one with a musical history? It wouldn't be the first time a non-car item rode the crest of Cadillac tradition. I have a Pelham Blue colored guitar. PB was originally a Cadillac color from the late '50s. Hank Sr. died in the back of a Cadillac, on the way to a gig. Maybelline by Chuck Berry.

Cadillac has a (surely) unintended musical history. So, why not a loudspeaker?

pelham.jpg
cadillac.png

Goodsounds

I just read a comment from owner Oliver of Delve Audio saying compared to Fleetwood Deville speakers, Magico A series is a con game.. His store sells Fleetwood speakers.. that just about killed my curiosity in them
rman9 and others curious about the Fleetwood Deville (FD) speakers,
Recently, I read comments about the FD speakers. Most of the comments were speculative centered around the cost and aesthetics with little attention paid to sound. Here's my impression of the FD SQ version after living with them for six months (bought based on reviews w/o audition and sight unseen). First, they are not too picky in terms of placement. The duel bottom-firing ports (think the diameter of a soda can) pretty much eliminates the worry about proximity to the front wall. The horn design and shape of the speaker appear to provide good off axis sound. I believe, (can't quantify) the rich, dynamic and dare I say ethereal sound of the FD is a manifestation of the torrefied wood used to make the speakers. Honestly, I agree with Steve Huff's review, albeit overly exuberant (they have "soul"). Importantly, the FDs shine with my gear, including the Luxman SE595 (class A, 30w per, Boulder 866 (A/B, 200w per) and Elekit 8600S (Class A - 9w per with WE tubes - crazy good). In closing, like many of you, I've been at this hobby for years (decades actually). I know! The FDs are not cheap or even mid-tier in terms of cost. Still, if you have the means, match these puppies up with some good electronics and prepare to be amazed. You'll be in goose bump city with a smile so hard that your facial muscles will scream from lactic acid build up.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
rman9 and others curious about the Fleetwood Deville (FD) speakers,
Recently, I read comments about the FD speakers. Most of the comments were speculative centered around the cost and aesthetics with little attention paid to sound. Here's my impression of the FD SQ version after living with them for six months (bought based on reviews w/o audition and sight unseen). First, they are not too picky in terms of placement. The duel bottom-firing ports (think the diameter of a soda can) pretty much eliminates the worry about proximity to the front wall. The horn design and shape of the speaker appear to provide good off axis sound. I believe, (can't quantify) the rich, dynamic and dare I say ethereal sound of the FD is a manifestation of the torrefied wood used to make the speakers. Honestly, I agree with Steve Huff's review, albeit overly exuberant (they have "soul"). Importantly, the FDs shine with my gear, including the Luxman SE595 (class A, 30w per, Boulder 866 (A/B, 200w per) and Elekit 8600S (Class A - 9w per with WE tubes - crazy good). In closing, like many of you, I've been at this hobby for years (decades actually). I know! The FDs are not cheap or even mid-tier in terms of cost. Still, if you have the means, match these puppies up with some good electronics and prepare to be amazed. You'll be in goose bump city with a smile so hard that your facial muscles will scream from lactic acid build up.

Cool. The Devilles are one of the few speakers I haven't heard that really intrigue me. I'd love to hear them.

sdrichard

I would not disagree with what @Goodsounds said. I don't have the best ears (age + mild tinnitus), but I had opportunity to compare them extensively with the KEF Blade 2s (non-meta version) in the same room, both after RoomPerfect room correction (using Lyngdorf 3400). The Lyngdorf can store two sets of speaker settings, so I measured them separately first, so I can set up the speakers and switch settings quickly.

I don't have the best ears, but the Blades sounded more accurate, and threw a much deeper and pinpoint sound stage. However, the Devilles sounded more organic and more palpable. The amount of bass that came out of these speakers was amazing in my 14'x15' room.

I don't think these have the best measurements (Stereophile did the measurements). I am too curious what others in this forum think. (We already know they are expensive, so please save some keystrokes on that.)

Top Bottom