• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Farewell my friends. Health is deteriorating - I'm fading out. (Updated - RIP)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if buying yourself a BIG tablet would allow you to continue your active engagement here at ASR.
If for not "mind-over-matter": Then, as an antidote/placebo to your health-related obstacles?
Stay strong, old pal!

On a side-note: Have you checked out the 'coffee' situation before committing to move into new facility.:)

ErVikingo

Muchas bendiciones, paz y celebración de una vida bien vivida. God bless...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@Xulonn We're all thinking of you and wishing you the best.

So glad you've been a member here at ASR and your absence will be missed greatly. Your posts however, will live on and continue to inspire people for many years to come. Take care.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Xulonn we haven't overlapped too much here but I've found your posts to be informative and quality. And I'm glad to know you got to spend a lot of time in Panama. I visited once and it was a really unforgettable trip, very beautiful country. Take care and thanks for everything you've contributed here.

DSJR

Major Contributor
From one David to another - all the very best to you and hope you can still contribute somehow.

teched58

FWIW, as someone recently retired, your posts about how you came to be in Panama were very important to me. It showed me that one can approach retirement with the attitude that whatever happens, there's a way forward,.

It's my opinion that no matter how well you've prepared (i.e., even if you have ample $$), the act of retiring is very scary, even if not consciously so. Your whole life is changing. So, again, thanks for your story, which gave me some peace, as well as your many other posts.

Godspeed to you, Sir!

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X headphones - the first high-quality headphones I have ever owned - arrived today, and they are excellent. Solid construction and very comfortable. Volume direct from Android phone is good, but not deafening and no audible distortion. I have a Topping DX7s DAC/headphone amp that I hope to be able to use in the future.

The DT700's sound pretty balanced. Headphone channel separation is amazing, but having the imaging limited to between my ears vs. spread out as with speakers is something I don't like. Unfortunately, I can't use open-back headphones in the assisted living facility.

Bass is definitely much deeper than with my bookshelf speakers and no subwoofer, but again loudspeaker/subwoofer bass has a much more visceral effect. However, considering my situation, my newfound world of headphones will allow me to continue to enjoy "high fidelity" music, and I am thankful for that.

Last edited:

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X headphones arrived today, and they are excellent...
...but having the imaging limited to between my ears vs. spread out as with speakers is something I don't like...
thanks for the tip on the Beyerdynamics, sir (as I take tips here, shopping for a friend - as well as myself)...

I've always disliked cans - but it beats silence... hang tough...

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X headphones - the first high-quality headphones I have ever owned - arrived today, and they are excellent. Solid construction and very comfortable. Volume direct from Android phone is good, but not deafening and no audible distortion. I have a Topping DX7s DAC/headphone amp that I hope to be able to use in the future.

The DT700's sound pretty balanced. Headphone channel separation is amazing, but having the imaging limited to between my ears vs. spread out as with speakers is something I don't like. Unfortunately, I can't use open-back headphones in the assisted living facility.

Bass is definitely much deeper than with my bookshelf speakers and no subwoofer, but again loudspeaker/subwoofer bass has a much more visceral effect. However, considering my situation, my newfound world of headphones will allow me to continue to enjoy "high fidelity" music, and I am thankful for that.
Try "crossfeed" if you can find an app that can utilize that-it simulates listening to speakers somewhat. Good luck-I know how much joy and happiness music brings me and I hope it does for you for the rest of your days.

steve59

Major Contributor
I hope you have a window with a view in your new digs. I hope the staff treats you well and you continue to get pleasure from every day.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best of luck in your next phase. I hope you find other audiophiles in the new social circle at assisted living.

If you are running Windows, Dolby Atmos for headphones software can be purchased to help alter the soundstage for you. It’s not perfect but is user controllable.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thank you for keeping us posted Dave. You joined a few months before me, and I remember exchanging a few messages with you as a fellow new member as we tried to figure out how to navigate this place. We discussed how we both tried to follow the lead set by the senior members, and also how the impressive the depth of knowledge displayed here so casually was certainly humbling, but pretty remarkable. You've gone on to establish yourself as one of our forum leaders, with your voice of intelligence and wisdom, and with a good helping of wit thrown in for good measure. It has been a pleasure to have been part of it with you. I have learned a lot from your perspective, appreciate what you've brought to the forum over the years, and wish you peace as you continue your journey.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Thank You for the music you've introduced me to

irish-blessing-may-the-road-ris.jpg

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very sorry to hear your health has taken a turn for the worse. I wish you comfort and serenity as you live through this part of your journey. You are in my thoughts. Best wishes.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The DT700's sound pretty balanced. Headphone channel separation is amazing, but having the imaging limited to between my ears vs. spread out as with speakers is something I don't like.
But are you using PEQ? :D Got to have PEQ. :p

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Best wishes and prayers to you, sir. Glad to read the music plays on!
Take care - Don

Top Bottom