• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fane 15-300TC 15" full range speaker based project

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
... of course... now the problem is that I want a pair of these Fane drivers (or at least a chance to hear 'em), and they're NLA. :rolleyes:;)

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Finally, the cabinets are in my garage! :)
I am expecting the next steps to happen much faster from now on

20230109_182736.jpg

20230109_182836.jpg

20230109_183841.jpg

Next step is to apply the vibrodamping layer and the felt respectively

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Let me share another project that I am venturing into :)

A few months ago I managed to buy a pair of Fane 15" full range speakers - unfortunately production of these drivers was stopped earlier this year due to low demand; as far as I know I bought the last pair in Europe
(if anybody knows about any leftover stock in Europe definitely let me know :))

So I have decided to start this project now
These beasts would normally require huge boxes (250+ liters each when sealed) so I decided to go for a higher Qtc value and compensate the lows with EQ and amplifier power

Cabinet will be sealed, 65 liters with Qtc = 1
15mm baltic birch plywood (wanted 18mm but it is quite an unobtanium over here these days or freaking expensive)

Here are some simulations:

Max input power will be 90W per channel, that's where the drivers will reach their linear xmax

View attachment 242464

At that power I will get 95.4dB at 1m at 24Hz
This is for one speaker so +6dB for two speakers plus room gain which is 15dB in my living room at 24Hz

View attachment 242465

Impedance:

View attachment 242467

Phase:

View attachment 242468

Group delay:

View attachment 242469

Of course I will use extensive DSP to correct the magnitude response (it will be much needed anyway...)

Some pictures and a video in the meantime:

View attachment 242457

View attachment 242458
View attachment 242459
View attachment 242460
View attachment 242461

And some building material:

View attachment 242462

View attachment 242463

The bottle is for scale :)

Stay tuned!
How the heck did I miss the photos of the driver in the OP until now??!?!? :(
Sorry!

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Some more pictures:

20230109_213056.jpg

20230109_221455.jpg

20230110_172223.jpg

20230110_203035.jpg

I actually put some polyester wad around the driver too but forgot to take a picture of that
There is also some vibrodamping sheets + felt on the back wall inside but forgot to document that too

The speakers are now ready to be DSP-d, will post some results later this week
Stay tuned!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking neet. Aren't they upside-down?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the drivers are in the bottom half.
The idea is that if I need any subs they will fit below in another cabinet (but I suspect that I won't need any)
In case you don't need subs, isn't the woofer way too far down for decent high-frequency reproduction? The woofer is already beaming as it is, having it mounted all the way down won't make things better.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
In case you don't need subs, isn't the woofer way too far down for decent high-frequency reproduction? The woofer is already beaming as it is, having it mounted all the way down won't make things better.
The center of the woofer (ie where the highs are coming from) will be at ear height - so no issues with that

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
And finally the measurements!

Listening position (approx. 3 meters) one channel driven (right) at 75 dB
1/12 smoothing, no gating, no FDW

1673636513443.png

Highlighted is the corrected curve, the other is the original
Pretty good results I must say!!

Freq with phase:

1673636616592.png

IR

1673636674347.png

In this zoomed out view the lack of reflections can be seen very clearly - this is due to the beaming of the driver (which for me is a good thing and I know that it is generally considered bad)

SR

1673636791737.png

Practically no pre-ringing despite the very heavy correction in the low-end

Distortion

1673636895942.png

Max is 4.62% at 22.6Hz - for me this is pretty good - note that there was no HPF in the signal chain!
In real-life conditions I apply a 24db/oct. HPF at 23Hz

Waterfall

1673637041934.png

Due to my not-so-ideal room we can see some pretty heavy ringing at around 50-60Hz and below 30Hz

Please see here the mdat file for further scrutiny: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k4Yjnnqfl7HpUvSRvt6m5cGky-FGlYVJ/view?usp=share_link

Now some subjective experience: (note that the drivers were used for a few hours only - they are very far yet from burn-in)
- sound stage has an incredible 3D (holographic) effect - I have never heard anything like this before (except for the 12" Audio Nirvanas)
- beaming is pretty strong (if I move my head like a few centimeters in any direction I hear a big difference) - this is inherent and you will have to accept this if you plan to have this kind of a sound system - this is a 'one-man show' strictly
- mids are exceptional, highs are detailed enough (surprisingly so!)
- bass goes down to about 23-24Hz (in my room) and indeed has authority and impact - and also very detailed - also suitable for movies (for a rumbling couch and yelling neighbors you will need subs though)
- I totally get the 'live' feeling - all the instruments and the vocals feel like literally being in the room - even with your eyes open you can 'see' them. IMHO you cannot achieve this with any multiway system (at least based on my experience so far)
- note that these single-driver one-way systems all tend to project the soundstage in the front, especially the phantom center - meaning that you will hear the lead singer at least 1 meter in front of the speakers (towards your head) instead of between the speakers. You will need to see/hear for yourself if you can tolerate that (I personally looooove it)

All in all I love them and they are freaking staying here!!!!!! :)

Next steps:
- get a pair of stands (you can laugh at me but it will be from Ikea) LOL
- paintjob (white using ultra-matte chalk paint)

I will document these once done (probably in a month's time)

Any questions are welcome

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Cool!

Isn’t correcting for flat in-room response a bit unorthodox?

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Where did you get your felt from?
From a local (Hungarian) dealership specialized in sound damping. Unfortunately I cannot tell the original brand since it was re-branded by the dealership (I am sure that they are not the producer)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From a local (Hungarian) dealership specialized in sound damping. Unfortunately I cannot tell the original brand since it was re-branded by the dealership (I am sure that they are not the producer)
I'm trying to find a company that sells felt pads big enough to go under a carpet. Haven't been successful so far.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
I'm trying to find a company that sells felt pads big enough to go under a carpet. Haven't been successful so far.

I don't know if it helps but this is where I got it from concretely:

And in the meantime I managed to find the brand too! (a little interweb digging helped :))
They are made in Italy by this company: https://www.ovattificiofortunato.it/html/prodotti.htm

Top Bottom