• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another Markaudio CHN110 based project with a Beyma DOS sub

ppataki

Major Contributor
Just sharing yet another project I designed for my brother-in-law this time

Basically it is about building two sealed cabinets (baltic birch plywood) with Markaudio CHN110 drivers and accompany them with a sealed DOS (dual opposed subwoofer) sub using 2x Beyma 8BR40/N drivers.

Here is how the front cabinets will look like:

1694086508553.png

They will each provide 85dB at 1m at 24Hz with 25W load (which is the xmax limited max load) --> 91dB for stereo + room gain
They will be cut at 80Hz where the max SPL will be 99+6 = 105dB

1694086566473.png

The DOS sub:

1694086750805.png

This one will provide 96dB at 24Hz at 1m + room gain (with 95W being the xmax limited max load)

1694086840607.png

This is his first speaker project so the aim was to keep the costs to a minimum
CHN110 costs 60 EUR each and the Beyma 70 EUR each so I guess we have managed to achieve that :)

The Markaudios will be driven by a Loxjie A30 amp (the 2x25W max required power at 8ohm shall be fine with this amp)
A Sabaj A20A in bridged mode will be connected to the sub out of the A30 driving the Beymas

I know that this way there will be no HPF to the fronts but that is a compromise that is fine for now - the upgrade path is to use a multichannel DAC (e.g. Universal Audio Volt 4) and connect the amps to it (fully independent 3 channels basically)

Source will be a PC with heavy DSP - initially based on REW but Dirac Live 3.X will be considered too as an upgrade path

Will post pictures and measurements as the project progresses
Stay tuned! :)

EDIT: pictures as per the below

1694087712847.png

1694087749452.png

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Just sharing yet another project I designed for my brother-in-law this time

Basically it is about building two sealed cabinets (baltic birch plywood) with Markaudio CHN110 drivers and accompany them with a sealed DOS (dual opposed subwoofer) sub using 2x Beyma 8BR40/N drivers.

Here is how the front cabinets will look like:

View attachment 310282

They will each provide 85dB at 1m at 24Hz with 25W load (which is the xmax limited max load) --> 91dB for stereo + room gain
They will be cut at 80Hz where the max SPL will be 99+6 = 105dB

View attachment 310283

The DOS sub:

View attachment 310284

This one will provide 96dB at 24Hz at 1m + room gain (with 95W being the xmax limited max load)

View attachment 310285

This is his first speaker project so the aim was to keep the costs to a minimum
CHN110 costs 60 EUR each and the Beyma 70 EUR each so I guess we have managed to achieve that :)

The Markaudios will be driven by a Loxjie A30 amp (the 2x25W max required power at 8ohm shall be fine with this amp)
A Sabaj A20A in bridged mode will be connected to the sub out of the A30 driving the Beymas

I know that this way there will be no HPF to the fronts but that is a compromise that is fine for now - the upgrade path is to use a multichannel DAC (e.g. Universal Audio Volt 4) and connect the amps to it (fully independent 3 channels basically)

Source will be a PC with heavy DSP - initially based on REW but Dirac Live 3.X will be considered too as an upgrade path

Will post pictures and measurements as the project progresses
Stay tuned! :)

EDIT: pictures as per the below

View attachment 310286

View attachment 310287
Very interesting !
it will be interesting to see what you think about the sound quality from chn110.
If not playing very loud, I dont think you need any HP crossover for the chn110, but it can be easily made passive at line level. Any eventual BSC can also be made that way ( as you know ) .

* Without any HP crossover for main speakers it will blend nicely together with electrical 12 dB LP crossover for the subs.

Last edited:
OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
I already have a pretty good experience with the CHN110, I have designed a complete home theater system for my neighbor, please see:

* Without any HP crossover for main speakers it will blend nicely together with electrical 12 dB LP crossover for the subs.
I agree, but as an upgrade path probably a fully active 3-channel solution will be the way forward

I shall have some more pictures next week and after that some measurements too (depending on the pace of my brother-in-law finishing the cabinets.....)

Tangband

Major Contributor
This is how it sounds without any DSP:

1. If people knew how good sounding those chn110 drivers are they would sell their expensive speakers and start DIY.
Nice system :).

2. If people knew how good sounding the PEQ funktion in the WiiM pro is, they would sell their expensive streamers.
This is perfect for the chn110, just a small dsp correction at 950 Hz ( -1,5 dB Q=2 ) and maybe some baffle step correction ( below 450 Hz , +1,5 dB Q =4 )

Last edited:
OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Here are the FR measurements at listening position (220 cm) at 75dB, 1/12 smoothing, left speaker
before/after correction

20231111_152019.jpg

I must say I have never measured any untreated living rooms like this - virtually there are no dips below 200Hz - totally unbelievable
Both my rooms are total crap compared to this....I have a damn lucky brother-in-law apparently :)

Here is the Dirac measurement screen:

20231111_155823.jpg

And here is how it sounds - with the correction of course and an additional target curve to taste (not a Dirac target curve but a totally custom one using T-Racks EQual)

My brother-in-law could not be happier! (and me too) :)

Upgrade path (probably next year): get an affordable multichannel DAC (probably the Volt 4) and replace the Loxjie A30 with a better amp and set up the crossover properly, potentially using T-Racks EQual or LinPhase EQ or something along those lines)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Very nice ! And nice to see your measurements before correction is very similar to mine .

Tangband

Major Contributor
How much do you experience the peak at 950 Hz as disturbing ? For me its better for most pop and rock music without correction, but for classical I use PEQ - 2 dB Q3 at this frequency .

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
How much do you experience the peak at 950 Hz as disturbing ? For me its better for most pop and rock music without correction, but for classical I use PEQ - 2 dB Q3 at this frequency .
We just compared the corrected vs uncorrected results as a whole - did not scrutinize each peak/dip so unfortunately I cannot comment on that
I totally prefer a fully flat curve + low/high shelves to taste so I always aim for that when correcting a system (I know others here don't prefer that but I guess that is subjective)

cursive

Forum Donor
Thanks for showing us your build, followed both of your threads. Really enjoyed the video demos too, definitely impressive.

I've been considering a similar build and see you mention you like sealed with dsp, vs ported, is that just for easier placement of the sealed units? Also I've been reading about the Alpair 11ms, are these drivers pretty much interchangeable, or does it require a different design from the CHN110?

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Thanks for showing us your build, followed both of your threads. Really enjoyed the video demos too, definitely impressive.
Thank you, appreciated! The sound quality of these one-way systems is just mind-blowing (once DSP-d properly) - unfortunately here on ASR this topic is not really popular, however I am trying to keep the lights on anyway :)

I've been considering a similar build and see you mention you like sealed with dsp, vs ported, is that just for easier placement of the sealed units?
It is primarily about the sound quality: a sealed box has a way better phase response and group delay curve vs a ported box. Additionally, sealed boxes can be EQ-d much better since the low roll-off is very gentle vs ported boxes where it is pretty sharp (--> there is nothing to compensate with the EQ)

Kanto_Sealed_vs_Ported_Subwoofer_Graph_Smoothrolloff.png

Also I've been reading about the Alpair 11ms, are these drivers pretty much interchangeable, or does it require a different design from the CHN110?
They are more or less interchangeable, here is how their SPL curve looks like when put in the same sealed cabinet (Vb=5 liter with heavy cabinet filling; input power=100W)
Alpair 11MS: orange
CHN110: yellow

1704702047371.png

cursive

Forum Donor
Thanks for the detailed response. The idea of a single driver with no crossover or anything is definitely appealing. Do you know if any full range designs have ever been measured with full soinorama, or with a klippel? I'd be curious to see how it compares to multi driver designs.

From the graph comparing the CHN and Alpair, the CHN looks much flatter with more output. Seems surprising given the alpair being quite a bit more expensive. Is there any other benefit or some other reason someone would choose the alpair over the chn line?

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Do you know if any full range designs have ever been measured with full soinorama, or with a klippel? I'd be curious to see how it compares to multi driver designs.
Personally, I am not aware of it. I reckon that most probably not because it would look really horrid. Without DSP these drivers measure and sound pretty bad - hence they are not very popular. You need to apply heavy DSP to tame them - but then you will be really amazed

From the graph comparing the CHN and Alpair, the CHN looks much flatter with more output. Seems surprising given the alpair being quite a bit more expensive. Is there any other benefit or some other reason someone would choose the alpair over the chn line?
That's a very good question, to be honest I have no idea. At first I was also tempted to go with the Alpair MS series but then I checked their FR graphs and did the simulations and both convinced me to go towards the CH series.
Having said that, I do have experience with the Alpair P series (both the 10P and the 12P) and they are magnificent drivers if you fancy the sound of paper cones (and again, if you apply adequate DSP). I have designed a complete home theater system for one of my friends using those drivers and he could not be happier....

Apart from the CHN110 I can also recommend the CHR120 - really great speaker!

Tangband

Major Contributor
Personally, I am not aware of it. I reckon that most probably not because it would look really horrid. Without DSP these drivers measure and sound pretty bad - hence they are not very popular. You need to apply heavy DSP to tame them - but then you will be really amazed

That's a very good question, to be honest I have no idea. At first I was also tempted to go with the Alpair MS series but then I checked their FR graphs and did the simulations and both convinced me to go towards the CH series.
Having said that, I do have experience with the Alpair P series (both the 10P and the 12P) and they are magnificent drivers if you fancy the sound of paper cones (and again, if you apply adequate DSP). I have designed a complete home theater system for one of my friends using those drivers and he could not be happier....

Apart from the CHN110 I can also recommend the CHR120 - really great speaker!
Would you say that the CHR120 sounds better compared to chn110 ?

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Would you say that the CHR120 sounds better compared to chn110 ?
No, but it has a larger cone surface area hence it can output higher SPL
Quality-wise the CHN110 has a smoother FR vs the CHR120 (but with extensive DSP I guess it shall not really matter...)

Top Bottom