• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fane 15-300TC 15" full range speaker based project

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
A tiny progress :)

20221129_202426.jpg

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This video show results of using a 15” OB driver with 0.7 qts in a sub 100l sealed cabinet…note the superb transient recovery time and max spl that beat smaller drivers by miles.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Unfortunately the cabinets will most likely not be finished this year..... :(
All the cutouts and the chamfering are done - the only steps missing are the final sanding and the internal bracing
Once those are done (hopefully 1st week of January) I will be able to bring them home

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
In the meantime, the felt and the vibrodamping sheets are prepared:

20221221_102901.jpg

20221221_153246.jpg

The felt is self-adhesive but I am thinking about using Green Glue between the felt and the vibrodamping sheets - maybe it would further reduce vibration....

puppet

By all means .. use the felt, just don't see the need/advantage of adhering it w/green glue. Green glue's purpose is to provide damping effect between two solid surfaces.

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
By all means .. use the felt, just don't see the need/advantage of adhering it w/green glue. Green glue's purpose is to provide damping effect between two solid surfaces.
Thanks @puppet
I will then save my Green Glue stock for something else in the future ;)

jamescarter1982

Let me share another project that I am venturing into :)

A few months ago I managed to buy a pair of Fane 15" full range speakers - unfortunately production of these drivers was stopped earlier this year due to low demand; as far as I know I bought the last pair in Europe
(if anybody knows about any leftover stock in Europe definitely let me know :))

So I have decided to start this project now
These beasts would normally require huge boxes (250+ liters each when sealed) so I decided to go for a higher Qtc value and compensate the lows with EQ and amplifier power

Cabinet will be sealed, 65 liters with Qtc = 1
15mm baltic birch plywood (wanted 18mm but it is quite an unobtanium over here these days or freaking expensive)

Here are some simulations:

Max input power will be 90W per channel, that's where the drivers will reach their linear xmax

View attachment 242464

At that power I will get 95.4dB at 1m at 24Hz
This is for one speaker so +6dB for two speakers plus room gain which is 15dB in my living room at 24Hz

View attachment 242465

Impedance:

View attachment 242467

Phase:

View attachment 242468

Group delay:

View attachment 242469

Of course I will use extensive DSP to correct the magnitude response (it will be much needed anyway...)

Some pictures and a video in the meantime:

View attachment 242457

View attachment 242458
View attachment 242459
View attachment 242460
View attachment 242461

And some building material:

View attachment 242462

View attachment 242463

The bottle is for scale :)

Stay tuned!
could you please tell me the equation you used to come up with a 250litre ideal cabinet size . I worked it out and it came to 10500 litres . I must obvs have typed in something incorrectly . thanks

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
could you please tell me the equation you used to come up with a 250litre ideal cabinet size . I worked it out and it came to 10500 litres . I must obvs have typed in something incorrectly . thanks
I just used BassBox Pro to calculate the Vb
Be aware that the Qa value (and the desired damping density) has a huge influence on the calculated Vb

jamescarter1982

Be aware that the Qa value (and the desired damping density) has a huge influence on the calculated Vb
OK thankyou I'm sure I worked it out before and it came out at 300 litres sealed . I think I'm going to make a box of 300 litres to see how it performes ....why not

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Maybe this is self-evident, but it might be prudent to measure the T/S parameters of the actual drivers one sources before designing, much less building boxes for them. ;)

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If it is representative of the actual driver, sure. Otherwise, not necessarily.
Some companies are terrible in terms of the accuracy of their published T/S specs. Others suffer from QC issues in terms of item to item variability.
Some are fine.
Some of the value added in purchasing a 'factory made' loudspeaker can be the manufacturer's selecting drivers sourced from their OEMs to meet their requirements.

Here's a not entirely random example: https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/54741-dayton-thiele-small-parameters

In an only slightly different realm, Grado for years (and perhaps still today) made only one, or a few phono cartridges. The more expensive ones were the same cartridge (and stylus, in some cases) as the cheap ones, but selected to meet better specs and/or with tighter tolerances. Their literature was very upfront about this in the '70s and '80s.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
1672791580339.png

Fane's test FR data are in a 975 L sealed box (infinite baffle). :)
I must say, this is a pretty cool looking driver, although I am (heh!) baffled as to how they get the HF extension without a whizzer or aluminum dustcap, or dual compliance surround or some such sorcery. ;) They say something about 'triple cone configuration' but they coyly don't show a photo -- and a quick googlin' didn't turn one up, either.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Thanks for posting that image! I could not find one on teh webz!?! I, perhaps, should've tried harder... but I was surprised Fane's page on this driver didn't have one.
Nice looking cone(s).

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Agree many pictures don’t show them very clearly, especially when you don’t know what to look for in the first place.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Two whizzers is a really interesting and fairly unusual - possibly unique - approach to the 'full range driver' conundrum! :)

One of my other favorite approaches was Altec's fairly short-lived 603B driver. This 'full range' driver used an aluminum dustcap (which was a pretty standard trick for HF extension), plus the addition of the front piece of an Altec 604-style horn in front of it to... well, I guess, offer some enhanced dispersion, or something.

page4.jpg

source: https://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/1949.htm

I actually happen to have one of these, in fair-at-best condition, and it doesn't sound bad for a 15" extended range driver. But it sure was an odd approach that never caught on! ;)

Top Bottom