• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fane 15-300TC 15" full range speaker based project

ppataki

Major Contributor
Let me share another project that I am venturing into :)

A few months ago I managed to buy a pair of Fane 15" full range speakers - unfortunately production of these drivers was stopped earlier this year due to low demand; as far as I know I bought the last pair in Europe
(if anybody knows about any leftover stock in Europe definitely let me know :))

So I have decided to start this project now
These beasts would normally require huge boxes (250+ liters each when sealed) so I decided to go for a higher Qtc value and compensate the lows with EQ and amplifier power

Cabinet will be sealed, 65 liters with Qtc = 1
15mm baltic birch plywood (wanted 18mm but it is quite an unobtanium over here these days or freaking expensive)

Here are some simulations:

Max input power will be 90W per channel, that's where the drivers will reach their linear xmax

1668097268592.png

At that power I will get 95.4dB at 1m at 24Hz
This is for one speaker so +6dB for two speakers plus room gain which is 15dB in my living room at 24Hz

1668097332627.png

Impedance:

1668097460662.png

Phase:

1668097482160.png

Group delay:

1668097508849.png

Of course I will use extensive DSP to correct the magnitude response (it will be much needed anyway...)

Some pictures and a video in the meantime:

20220628_120632.jpg

20220628_120645.jpg

20220628_120654.jpg

20220628_120720.jpg

20220628_120801.jpg

And some building material:

20221110_094007.jpg

20221110_100805.jpg

The bottle is for scale :)

Stay tuned!

jamescarter1982

cool project . so your going to drive the speaker below fs ? what are you using for dsp please and what are you planning to do about the dispersion? eq for off axis listening ?

Last edited:
OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
so your going to drive the speaker below fs ?
Yes, I am doing that with all my projects - I had no problem so far (elevated distortion at best but the audibility of that is subject to debate)

what are you using fir dsp please
I usually use this (or similar) signal chain and processing:

what are you planning to do about the dispersion eq for off axis listening
Nothing, since I don't care about off-axis listening :)

jamescarter1982

youre reply to my question one:
and will this speaker create output that low ? that would be excellent news for me

question two :so a jriver plugin ?

question three : so you will be listening directly on axis please ?

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
and will this speaker create output that low ? that would be excellent news for me
According to the simulations, yes it will create that output

Just to show a comparison:
This is the simulation of this 15" Fane (red) vs my current MCLA system (orange)

1668412964150.png

At 25Hz the Fane shall beat the MCLA by 4dB
And currently I have no problem with the low output of my MCLAs so I would expect the Fane to perform even better

question two :so a jriver plugin ?
I am using Jriver as the source and using its DSP engine to run VST plugins (like DDMF Metaplugin, CurveEQ, Convology XT, CraveEQ, etc.)
You can see those in the screenshots in the thread that I linked in my above post

question three : so you will be listening directly on axis please ?
Yes, that is correct. I always listen on-axis only
I have an (almost) equilateral listening triangle; I am sitting at the tip and the speakers are toed in to face my ears. This is the case both with my MCLA and with my home office system.

Last edited:

jamescarter1982

thanks for your reply I can't wait to see the results of this project I have these drivers and love them and think there is real potential here . I'd be really interested to see some measurements of the finished product and am interested in any things that stand out to you such as any resonances that might need taming with dsp
seems like this driver could be such an elegant low cost solution only needing one channel of amplification and a stereo dac and some dsp it's a real shame they stopped making them

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
thanks for your reply I can't wait to see the results of this project I have these drivers and love them and think there is real potential here . I'd be really interested to see some measurements of the finished product and am interested in any things that stand out to you such as any resonances that might need taming with dsp
seems like this driver could be such an elegant low cost solution only needing one channel of amplification and a stereo dac and some dsp it's a real shame they stopped making them

Yes, indeed, I fully agree - a real shame that they stopped the production....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Anyway, once I managed to finalize the cabinet with my neighbor (the carpenter) I will definitely post all kind of measurements here + some subjective evaluation as well
Stay tuned! :)

jamescarter1982

Yes, indeed, I fully agree - a real shame that they stopped the production....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Anyway, once I managed to finalize the cabinet with my neighbor (the carpenter) I will definitely post all kind of measurements here + some subjective evaluation as well
Stay tuned! :)
thanks very much really apriciate it

OP
P

ppataki

Major Contributor
Build is progressing very slowly, here are some pictures:

20221123_200257.jpg

IMG-a36a0c0b4491c809b73e5b930144255b-V.jpg

Both cabinets are now put together, hopefully next week we will be able to do the cutouts then the bracing and the damping
I will report back as soon as there is any progress

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Nothing of any relevance to be honest. Eventually had them on too small open baffles for a while but then life got a bit in the way.

Sold them last year, but seeing what @ppataki does with his Fanes and knowing they’ve been discontinued I just wish I had stored them instead.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom