• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Exciting news from Onkyo and Pioneer: TX-RZ70/ VSX-LX705, TX-RZ9/VSX-LX905 = Auro 3D + DLBC!

NismoZ

If the TX-RZ9 appx. equals VSX-LX905 one may wonder what the VSX-935 will be :)
That AVR is already out, the models without the LX are the non Elites.

Flak

Industry Insider
As mentioned on our dedicated web page, owners of supported AVRs can now beta test our completely new mobile apps introducing an auto-target curve that calculates a suggested target specific for each system, and a simplified way to change the target, should that still be desired or required:

Thanks for your time :)
Flavio

karyuudo

Disappointing... But not surprising either...

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Hello, does anyone have an estimated release date for the RZ70?

31st April... ;)

Seriously, no one knows...

I assume it will use the same chassis as the current/previous TOTL units.... but those were based on AKM chipsets, which may not be available at the moment due to the AKM factory fire... I think AKM was just starting up their new manufacturing facility last I heard...

Last news was in december...

At the same time, there are rumours generated by Dirac insiders (like Flak on this forum) - about new Dirac capabilities (possibly Unison) being worked on, and intended to be released on AVR/Propro's...

Hopefully the manufacturing and the software issues will align nicely, and we will get announcements soon.... but don't hold your breath

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Came across this on the AKM website....

Samples of the AKM chips have started shipping, but mass production is not due until 3rd Quarter 2022.

If the new AVR/Prepro's remain AKM based - they are unlikely to be out in 2022 - which means Onkyo/Voxx will need to re-engineer the base chassis, and redesign it for different DAC's... if they want it out this year.

Last edited:

jj351

Does anyone know what features the 905 will have over the 505 besides extra amps?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
No one knows - there have been no announcements - but at a guess, you would expect it to use the same chassis as previous generation TOTL models (703/704/903/904).

Other than that all we can do is make some guesses!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Having said that - my bet is on individual sub outputs for 2 subs (possibly more?) with either DLBC (worst case) or Dirac Unison (best case)

ivo.f.doma

No one knows - there have been no announcements - but at a guess, you would expect it to use the same chassis as previous generation TOTL models (703/704/903/904).

Other than that all we can do is make some guesses!
703 and 903 never existed, only 701, 801 and 901

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Having said that - my bet is on individual sub outputs for 2 subs (possibly more?) with either DLBC (worst case) or Dirac Unison (best case)
Yeah, I’m waiting on unison or whatever they call it before I get a new AVR. Seems there’s a long time for that to come out as well. Only subtly announced on forums. Nothing official from Dirac

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I just picked up the Integra Drx 3.4 and think Dirac does a good job with room correction but the sound fields on this amp are just lousy. Essentially, it's Dolby Surround plus a few add ons and dts. I guess you can play dsd on the usb. The Idea is dolby licenses an algorithm Dolby Surround sound and it should sound the same on all avrs..it absolutely does not. SONY, for example, adds much more sound to the back surround channels for music than this Integra avr I am listening to. It makes the experience night and day..even with my dB level up 5plus in the back channels the Sony sounds much more immersive and incredible and the integera like a hollow box. The rest of of the sound fields are so bad there is no point in mentioning them...all stereo channel and mono are 90s leftovers becaue i was alive then and so remeber them being options.This Drx thing cost 1500 dollars cannot accurately reproduce a listenable recording in multichannel. It's pathetic. Plus, there is audible distortion in the direct channel after you get past 8 or so. That's also pathetic. I got suckered into this cheap amp by Dirac the second time now. When am I gonna just listen to Amirm becaue this is just an RZ 50. For as much as I hate Audyssey, the Denon is the superior product.

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I just picked up the Integra Drx 3.4 and think Dirac does a good job with room correction but the sound fields on this amp are just lousy. Essentially, it's Dolby Surround plus a few add ons and dts. I guess you can play dsd on the usb. The Idea is dolby licenses an algorithm Dolby Surround sound and it should sound the same on all avrs..it absolutely does not. SONY, for example, adds much more sound to the back surround channels for music than this Integra avr I am listening to. It makes the experience night and day..even with my dB level up 5plus in the back channels the Sony sounds much more immersive and incredible and the integera like a hollow box. The rest of of the sound fields are so bad there is no point in mentioning them...all stereo channel and mono are 90s leftovers becaue i was alive then and so remeber them being options.This Drx thing cost 1500 dollars cannot accurately reproduce a listenable recording in multichannel. It's pathetic. Plus, there is audible distortion in the direct channel after you get past 8 or so. That's also pathetic. I got suckered into this cheap amp by Dirac the second time now. When am I gonna just listen to Amirm becaue this is just an RZ 50. For as much as I hate Audyssey, the Denon is the superior product.
If you really prefer the sound of the Sony... sell the Integra while it is still "new" - I'm sure you can get most of what you paid for it back.

But I feel it is possible that the Sony was tuned for a higher (perhaps non standard) level on the surrounds, and that you may be able to achieve your preference by just upping the surround levels.

Back when surround was new, (1985) - we used to tune the surround units by ear... and some people definitely preferred "louder" rears.

My own preference is for a "delicate" surround setting - it is mostly about ambience, and should intrude obviously only when specific effects call for it! (many of my friends at the time disagreed with me.)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yeah, I’m waiting on unison or whatever they call it before I get a new AVR. Seems there’s a long time for that to come out as well. Only subtly announced on forums. Nothing official from Dirac
Had my old AVR survived long enough... I would have waited... but the Magic smoke was released! - and the Integra DRX 3.4 is definitely an upgrade for my whole system (primarily due to Dirac!).

Now that the system is back in operation, I can wait for Unison....

MASKINEN

Well also for $1500 you can’t get expect to get that much. It’s still a budget alternative so if you would add an amp you would get that extra power needed. Even though there are better receivers out there with better amps in them for the same price.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Well also for $1500 you can’t get expect to get that much. It’s still a budget alternative so if you would add an amp you would get that extra power needed. Even though there are better receivers out there with better amps in them for the same price.
It's not really that budget an alternative - what is being considered is the DSP - the surround processing - not the amplification.... and not even the DAC's.

Miker 1102, finds that his budget Sony AVR - (sub $500?) is doing a better job with Music surround, than the $1300 Onkyo/Integra...

To me there is no logical, justifiable reason for this, other than a difference in the setup/tuning of the surround algorhythms, or the adjustment of the surround system - ie: relative levels etc...

If both are using Dolby Surround, DTS or THX - the differences in "Direct" mode should be negligible - down to different DAC's and Amps - but apparently they are not.

He is reporting good results with movies - and poor ones with Music - and without hearing his system, it is well nigh impossible to take it further than that.

At the level of performance of the NR5100 and up we should not be seeing/hearing that kind of difference.

MASKINEN

It's not really that budget an alternative - what is being considered is the DSP - the surround processing - not the amplification.... and not even the DAC's.

Miker 1102, finds that his budget Sony AVR - (sub $500?) is doing a better job with Music surround, than the $1300 Onkyo/Integra...

To me there is no logical, justifiable reason for this, other than a difference in the setup/tuning of the surround algorhythms, or the adjustment of the surround system - ie: relative levels etc...

If both are using Dolby Surround, DTS or THX - the differences in "Direct" mode should be negligible - down to different DAC's and Amps - but apparently they are not.

He is reporting good results with movies - and poor ones with Music - and without hearing his system, it is well nigh impossible to take it further than that.

At the level of performance of the NR5100 and up we should not be seeing/hearing that kind of difference.

If it's a DSP error then not much can't be done. I don't think rating an avr for their upmixing abilities is fare though. If an upmixer is used to upmix 2 channel stereo sound then I'm not suprised. Maybe Denon or an other brand can upmix it better. My NAD processor does make a good job upmixing two channel but I would never use it for music. I'm more of a direct person. I want my sound played in the native format.

Upmixing is always a compromise in my humble opinion.
In the past my Onkyo processors have always sounded great for movies but not as good with 2 channel music.
With NAD both movies and music sound great. Still I would buy a Onkyo processor if they release one soon enough.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If it's a DSP error then not much can't be done. I don't think rating an avr for their upmixing abilities is fare though. If an upmixer is used to upmix 2 channel stereo sound then I'm not suprised. Maybe Denon or an other brand can upmix it better. My NAD processor does make a good job upmixing two channel but I would never use it for music. I'm more of a direct person. I want my sound played in the native format.

Upmixing is always a compromise in my humble opinion.
In the past my Onkyo processors have always sounded great for movies but not as good with 2 channel music.
With NAD both movies and music sound great. Still I would buy a Onkyo processor if they release one soon enough.
I have yet to hear an upmixer that satisfies me as well as the Logic7 used to in the Lexicon DC1 and MC1 processors.... (which I parted ways with around 2008....)

But I have not yet settled in with my new Integra DRX 3.4 - nor have I had time to experiment with the different upmixing options and settings...

I was surprise with how good Dolby Surround sounded with music a couple of days back - but it varies from album to album... whereas I don't recall Logic7 being quite as variable in its response.

Top Bottom