• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PaperBoat

Slate Digital Fresh Air vs. Fabfilter Pro • Q³ which is better to bring the air into music?

images (2).jpeg

images (3).jpeg

Last edited:

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really think the current title of this thread:
"Exciter vs. Dynamic EQ"
needs to be changed to avoid confusion with Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

If I understand correctly these things that you are asking about are apps that apply some sort of preference curve to accentuate particular frequency ranges (to get more sense of "air" or" excitement").

This is a completely different thing to Audyssey Dynamic EQ which aims to maintain the intended reference sound balance when playing back at lower than reference level (based on scientifically measured human hearing sensitivity curves).

By having Dynamic EQ in the thread title you are conflating a science based EQ method with artificial preference based boosting. This perpetuates the falsely held view that it is somehow not correct or appropriate or scientific to use Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

Audyssey Dynamic EQ isn't perfect but it is a completely different category of tool compared to these type of "exciter" app. Are the apps even dynamic, or do they just apply the same filter independent of volume?

OP
PaperBoat

PaperBoat

I really think the current title of this thread:
"Exciter vs. Dynamic EQ"
needs to be changed to avoid confusion with Audyssey Dynamic EQ.
What are you suggesting?

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, it's your thread and therefore up to you; it depends which question you are really asking, so perhaps something like...

If limited to the two mentioned:
Slate Digital Fresh Air vs. Fabfilter Pro • Q³

If more general:
Which audio enhancer do you prefer?

If you are asking if they are worthwhile:
Are audio enhancers worthwhile?

By the way, I think the answer to the last one is probably no!

I just don't think Audyssey Dynamic EQ should be put into the same group of tools, and therefore shouldn't be part of the discussion (or title).

Top Bottom