• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Evolution of Speaker / Electronics Ratio

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
20 years ago, $1500 bought you a Celestion SL-600, with stands.

You probably needed at least the same amount, if not double that, in matching electronics to be able to drive the inefficient SL-600 sufficiently well. Call it another $1500-3000.

Today, for $300, you can get a pair of ELAC B6 or JBL LSR305 that aren't just better values, they're measurably better speakers.

Can you match a $300 speaker today with $300 in electronics / source (total $600) and get something that beats a $3000 system from 20 years ago?

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just to be careful, the following should be taken lightly with a huge grain of salt:

To answer your question, very easy $300 speaker + $300 electronics to beat $3000, but you must be willing to spend at least $50,000.00 on a loom of MasterBuilt cables [please do not forget the power cables; that last 5 feet after the initial miles of other cable makes a monster difference]. ;););););););)

iridium.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just to be careful, the following should be taken lightly with a huge grain of salt:

To answer your question, very easy $300 speaker + $300 electronics to beat $3000, but you must be willing to spend at least $50,000.00 on a loom of MasterBuilt cables [please do not forget the power cables; that last 5 feet after the initial miles of other cable makes a monster difference]. ;););););););)

iridium.

$75 server-grade UPS solves that problem.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

iridium

Shoot, I wish I had the brains to think of that.
My wife is going to be pissed.
Maybe I can wrap these things around the Christmas tree & she will not notice.

iridium.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
$300 for all electronics is a bit tough. The only thing that fits would be an audio/video receiver (AVR). It would have the DAC and amplification but still no source.

Active speakers and a dirt-cheap dac would fit if you bend the rules a little.

I have one of these now on sale for $21.99 (I paid $23.99):

upload_2016-12-18_22-13-0.png

USB in and Toslink/Coax/Analog out, even has a headphone jack.

The digital outs work fine. I haven't tried the analog, as it was not purchased for that function.

Add $399 active speakers, it comes in at $420 total here not counting source digits.

Figuring 1/2 of the price of the speakers for "electronics" that makes the electronics bill $221 without source.

---

As for beating my dinosaur system, I vote no, based on the speakers. Unfair since it was more than $3000, though. Oh well.

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor

iridium.
Keep in mind that the MasterBuilt are apparently solving an issue, for the first in the queue ... it's the trickledown thing - first only Mercedes has the gee whiz thingamabob, in the the top of line model. Fast forward 10 or so years, it's standard in a tiny Korean hatch ...

iridium

Keep in mind that the MasterBuilt are apparently solving an issue, for the first in the queue ... it's the trickledown thing - first only Mercedes has the gee whiz thingamabob, in the the top of line model. Fast forward 10 or so years, it's standard in a tiny Korean hatch ...

fas42, I actually no very little [besides price] about the MasterBuilt cables.
???What issue are they solving??? Thank you in advance for your response.

Very interested,
iridium

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Add $399 active speakers, it comes in at $420 total here not counting source digits.

Figuring 1/2 of the price of the speakers for "electronics" that makes the electronics bill $221 without source.

---

As for beating my dinosaur system, I vote no, based on the speakers. Unfair since it was more than $3000, though. Oh well.

For $600 I'd go with:

JBL LSR305 (edited): $270 from Amazon
Schiit Fulla DAC/Amp: $99
Monoprice mini-jack to TRS cable: $8
Computer / iPad / Smartphone / Whatever: You already own it, so $0
Atacama Nexus 7 stands: $120

Total: $497

I'm willing to bet it would at least tie the old Celestion SL-600.

If I wanted to go passive, I'd get one of those SMSL Class-D amps for <$100.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Cosmik

Major Contributor
If the challenge doesn't include the time taken to put the system together, I would do the following:
- buy some MDF and cut it into appropriately sized pieces, make the appropriate holes in the pieces, clamp and glue them together
- buy six low cost drivers: two large woofers, two mid, two tweeters and attach some wires to them, with a couple of caps to protect the tweeters
- fit the drivers into the boxes we have made, with some wadding, and run the wires out through a hole.
- connect the wires to an AV amp
- feed the AV amp with the HDMI output from a laptop
- install some pieces of freeware on the laptop to implement a three way active crossover. Set up appropriately using a low cost measurement mic.

Normally, buying off-the-shelf stuff would work out far cheaper than building your own, but low cost speakers are mainly tiny two-ways with silly holes in the boxes. If we want to make something that can give a good rendition of the sorts of music I like to listen to, we need three drivers and big sealed boxes. The above system will sound superb.

fas42

Major Contributor
And what issue would that be?
Attenuation of electrical noise from interference factors - lowering the noise floor is the terminology some people use. Why this particular cable should be particularly good at it I can't say, but the internals are genuinely very esoteric - the reasons put forward for audiophile consumption are nonsense of course, but I have some suspicions. I recognise the language used to describe what people hear when using this stuff, because I work towards the same goal in the end sound; noise from various sources is the culprit degrading the sound, and I use far more mundane, and cheap methods to control that.

iridium

If the challenge doesn't include the time taken to put the system together, I would do the following:
- buy some MDF and cut it into appropriately sized pieces, make the appropriate holes in the pieces, clamp and glue them together
- buy six low cost drivers: two large woofers, two mid, two tweeters and attach some wires to them, with a couple of caps to protect the tweeters
- fit the drivers into the boxes we have made, with some wadding, and run the wires out through a hole.
- connect the wires to an AV amp
- feed the AV amp with the HDMI output from a laptop
- install some pieces of freeware on the laptop to implement a three way active crossover. Set up appropriately using a low cost measurement mic.

Normally, buying off-the-shelf stuff would work out far cheaper than building your own, but low cost speakers are mainly tiny two-ways with silly holes in the boxes. If we want to make something that can give a good rendition of the sorts of music I like to listen to, we need three drivers and big sealed boxes. The above system will sound superb.

Good answer.

iridium.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The above system will sound superb.

Have you actually built speakers from scratch before?

I have. Getting it to make sounds is easy. Getting it to sound superb is hard and takes a huge amount of time, testing, measuring, re-testing, re-measuring, re-building the box when you decide you prefer a different Q for the bass, etc.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Have you actually built speakers from scratch before?

I have. Getting it to make sounds is easy. Getting it to sound superb is hard and takes a huge amount of time, testing, measuring, re-testing, re-measuring, re-building the box when you decide you prefer a different Q for the bass, etc.
Yes I have. The odds are heavily stacked against the passive speaker designer - which is where the myth of it being difficult comes from - but for the DSP aficionado it is very easy. You say that you might worry about the Q for the bass or whatever, but really the choices are not infinite. Go for 'the middle' and finesse it with the DSP settings.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes I have. The odds are heavily stacked against the passive speaker designer - which is where the myth of it being difficult comes from - but for the DSP aficionado it is very easy. You say that you might worry about the Q for the bass or whatever, but really the choices are not infinite. Go for 'the middle' and finesse it with the DSP settings.

Agree that DSP is a huge help when it comes to crossovers.

But unless you have a Spin-o-rama rig at home you're well short of being able to accurately measure dispersion and also well short of what the best engineered commercial designs offer.

Top Bottom