• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cake day! Mandatory tag: Atohm GT 1 HD

Zeekakaloekus

Hello audiosciencereview-people,

After many months of lurking in your reviews and forum it's time to come out.

Started off about 10 years ago with surround sound when I bought a Denon 5.1 all-in-one set only to threw it out a couple of months later because of countless issues I had with the system.

Then bought the Bose (forbidden word here?) 300 soundtouch soundbar with matching satelites and subwoofer and was pretty happy with it in our small living room and thought my days of audio issues where gone.

Less than a year after my purchase of the B0se system I had my first real AUDIO epiphany when visiting a colleague and heard his audio stereo set. I don't remember the exact set though, but it looked way out of my budget with 2 tube amp and big floor standing speakers. However, I do remember thinking: "I need to get me one these!"

So 2 years ago I sold the B*se set and bought a 2nd hand Marantz receiver SR6012 and 2 floorstanding B&W DM602 S2, you know the old version, and some Cambridge Audio satelites. NICE!

Last year I sold the B&W for a good price and finally found, after 7 months searching online, a beautiful 2nd hand pair of the magnificent ATOHM GT 1-HD.

By now I understand that I need better stereo image/control, thus currently in search for a dedicated stereo amp with HT bypass so I can enjoy movies as well.

There ya go, my audio story. Currently I'm eyeing for a 2nd hand Marantz PM8006. But I'm ooen for suggestions.

OP
Z

Zeekakaloekus

Thank you both!

If anyone has amp recommendations to match a pair of Atohm GT 1 HD's I would be very curious to hear about it.

OP
Z

Zeekakaloekus

That's a wide open question, what are you looking for ?
You seem to lean toward receivers/integrated amps, are you interested in a true modular system with separate DAC/preamp/amps ?

The second question is; what is your budget ?
Indeed it is, because of budget I am leaning towards an integrated stereo amp.
So far a 2nd hand Marantz would suit my budget: PM8006, PM14S1 or maybe even an PM11S3.
That said, a tube amp would be even better, perheaps a Primaluna? But I believe that in HT Bypass mode it will use up the tubes for hours at end when I'm watching movies in Dolby Surround, I'm not fond of this idea.

However, if somebody would tell me it would be a damn shame to use such 'mediocre' amps on these mighty fine speakers, I am willing to wait a year or 2 longer to save up some money...

Btw, I'm pretty solid with cables already... supra sword-something, don't remember.

D

Deleted member 21219

Indeed it is, because of budget I am leaning towards an integrated stereo amp.
So far a 2nd hand Marantz would suit my budget: PM8006, PM14S1 or maybe even an PM11S3.
That said, a tube amp would be even better, perheaps a Primaluna? But I believe that in HT Bypass mode it will use up the tubes for hours at end when I'm watching movies in Dolby Surround, I'm not fond of this idea.

However, if somebody would tell me it would be a damn shame to use such 'mediocre' amps on these mighty fine speakers, I am willing to wait a year or 2 longer to save up some money...

Btw, I'm pretty solid with cables already... supra sword-something, don't remember.

I could only find one measurement of your speaker. It's here:

The impedance, as you can see, is approximately 4 ohms. However, there are three peaks, one of 22 ohms at 35 cycles, one of 38 ohms at approximately 90 cycles, and a broad one of 22 ohms centered at approximately 2 kHz. This is NOT the style of impedance variation that lends itself to use by a tube amp. The resultant deviations from neutral would be audible ..... in my opinion, quite so. IMO, this speaker needs a well-designed solid state amp. There are many on the market.

Notice, also, the lack of bass capability. You might want to consider the use of bass augmentation (a subwoofer). If you want to use an integrated amp, I would advise buying one that has 2.1 capabilities .... that means a "subwoofer out" capability. It makes things a little simpler.

One other thing; good cables are inexpensive. Pro shops handle several lengths for reasonable prices.

Audio reproduction is a logical science. What goes in is what comes out, only more powerful. Don't be seduced by subjectivist BS.

Jim

OP
Z

Zeekakaloekus

I could only find one measurement of your speaker. It's here:

The impedance, as you can see, is approximately 4 ohms. However, there are three peaks, one of 22 ohms at 35 cycles, one of 38 ohms at approximately 90 cycles, and a broad one of 22 ohms centered at approximately 2 kHz. This is NOT the style of impedance variation that lends itself to use by a tube amp. The resultant deviations from neutral would be audible ..... in my opinion, quite so. IMO, this speaker needs a well-designed solid state amp. There are many on the market.

Notice, also, the lack of bass capability. You might want to consider the use of bass augmentation (a subwoofer). If you want to use an integrated amp, I would advise buying one that has 2.1 capabilities .... that means a "subwoofer out" capability. It makes things a little simpler.

One other thing; good cables are inexpensive. Pro shops handle several lengths for reasonable prices.

Audio reproduction is a logical science. What goes in is what comes out, only more powerful. Don't be seduced by subjectivist BS.

Jim
Wow Jim. Thank you so much for this detailed answer!
I've never seen measurements of this speaker before and I do somewhat understand the graph but I guess I skipped a few classes in HiFi-ology because I'm oblivious as to how these measurements could show whether a tube amp or a solid state amp would work best. But I believe you!!
Thank you so much!
A solid state amp is is!

I managed to get these cables at a very reasonable price. Just had to take them. But my reasonable price might be on a different scale than yours. :)

D

Deleted member 21219

I managed to get these cables at a very reasonable price. Just had to take them.

I can't pass up a good deal, either! :)

I'm oblivious as to how these measurements could show whether a tube amp or a solid state amp would work best.

The higher the amp's output impedance, the more its response will follow the impedance profile of the speaker. Like this:

1697673875488.jpeg

This is Stereophile's measurement of the BAT VK-56SEW tube amp. The output impedances were measured at 3.35 Ohms (low), 5.5 Ohms (med) and 6.7 (on high). The black line is the response variation deviating from neutral, produced by the interaction between the amp's high output impedance and the impedance variations in the dummy speaker load that Stereophile uses.

OTOH, this is their measurement of the Schiit Tyr Monoblock, a solid-state amp with the low output impedance typical of solid state amp (.09-.124 Ohms):

1697674316445.jpeg

See the difference? What little deviation from neutral that the chart shows is definitely inaudible.

Those spikes of high impedance shown in the SoundStage measurement will produce wild variations with a high-impedance tube amp. However, they won't bother a competently-designed low-output-impedance SS amp.

Some people like that wild variation. I don't! I want to hear what's on the recording ..... good, bad or indifferent. If I want a deviation, I'll use EQ. ;)

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Off topic but on point. Have you been using EQ /PEQ? It's something to plan for and implement. It can make as big of a difference as new speakers can. So it's vital for a good system to have PEQ. If you want to get set up let us know and we'll guide you to what works for your specific system.

OP
Z

Zeekakaloekus

Off topic but on point. Have you been using EQ /PEQ? It's something to plan for and implement. It can make as big of a difference as new speakers can. So it's vital for a good system to have PEQ. If you want to get set up let us know and we'll guide you to what works for your specific system.
I have the Audyssey XT32 MultEQ app where I can do all the tweaks. Also I'm playing from Qobuz through BubbleUPnP so I can play 24/192. I don't believe any of those apps work with BubbleUPnP, but thanks anyway!

OP
Z

Zeekakaloekus

I can't pass up a good deal, either! :)

The higher the amp's output impedance, the more its response will follow the impedance profile of the speaker. Like this:

View attachment 319821
This is Stereophile's measurement of the BAT VK-56SEW tube amp. The output impedances were measured at 3.35 Ohms (low), 5.5 Ohms (med) and 6.7 (on high). The black line is the response variation deviating from neutral, produced by the interaction between the amp's high output impedance and the impedance variations in the dummy speaker load that Stereophile uses.

OTOH, this is their measurement of the Schiit Tyr Monoblock, a solid-state amp with the low output impedance typical of solid state amp (.09-.124 Ohms):

View attachment 319822

See the difference? What little deviation from neutral that the chart shows is definitely inaudible.

Those spikes of high impedance shown in the SoundStage measurement will produce wild variations with a high-impedance tube amp. However, they won't bother a competently-designed low-output-impedance SS amp.

Some people like that wild variation. I don't! I want to hear what's on the recording ..... good, bad or indifferent. If I want a deviation, I'll use EQ. ;)

Jim
Jim, that's very well explained, thank you! I guess that might also be the charm of the tubes: they "sing" more?

Thank you very much for all the support. Definitely will have to try a few amps before cutting the cord.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Audyssey XT32 MultEQ app where I can do all the tweaks. Also I'm playing from Qobuz through BubbleUPnP so I can play 24/192. I don't believe any of those apps work with BubbleUPnP, but thanks anyway!
O. Sounds cool. Is this something I should add to my EQ/PEQ webpage?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just keep the AVR. I don’t see what the stereo amp would bring that you don’t already have. In fact, having no room correction would be a step down, not up. Save the money and enjoy.

OP
Z

Zeekakaloekus

Sorry for the delay there. So maybe no room correction, however what I understood with a designated stereo amp i that you'll get a better soundstage and better control.
Is this not true?

Top Bottom