• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 145 27.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 344 66.0%

• Total voters

JktHifi

For streaming duties, raspberry pi is enough. For 500 dollars you can set up the whole music system instead of having just s streamer.
I need Qobuz. The Pi has to pay subscription of Volumio or Roon.
The recurring cost should be only happening on Music services, not on the software/hardware, for me.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I will absolutely and always refuse to pay any monthly subscription for a player app that offer no content and just a piece of software. I know that’s a trend, Microsoft does it, Adobe does it, Autodesk does it, but no, no way, Roon, Volumio, name it… first, well, they are not microsoft, but even if they where, we have to boycott this nonsense. People here get on their high heel for MQA licensing and such but come on. A script of code, when developed is free to distribute, it cost nothing when it have been dampened. We got to get some outrage on this trend of hooking you up for life on a service that don’t have to do nothing for you but just use their already developed tech. They don’t have to pay royalties to artists. they don’t have to pay distribution right, they just have made a player app that people like. OK if like it, I’ll buy a copy. But no I won’t let you go for a business model where I will always owe you money if not you pull the plug. No.

Last edited:

JktHifi

I will absolutely and always refuse to pay any monthly subscription for a player app that offer no content and just a piece of software. I know that’s a trend, Microsoft does it, Adobe does it, Autodesk does it, but no, no way, Roon, Volumio, name it… first, well, they are not microsoft, but even if they where, we have to. boycott this nonsense. People here get on their high heel for MQA licensing and such but come on. A script of code, when developped! is free to distribute, it cost nothing when it have been dampen. We got to get some outrage on this trend of hooking you up for life on a service that don’t have to do nothing for you but just use their already developped tech. They don’t have to pay royalties to artists. they don’t have to pay distribution right, they just have made a player app that people like. OK if like it, i’ll buy a copy. But no I won’t let you go for a business model where I will always owe you money if not you pull the plug. No.
yes, because I’ve already paid the subscription for Music service. Then pay again? no… no… no

fatoldgit

Yes, I also want to know how the software inside the device works. For example, how it will display the Qobuz albums/tracks.
Correct.

Systems like this are relatively common but for me the make or break is the interface.

However in most cases its basically impossible to get any idea of the included functionality and again in most cases the user manuals lack any detailed GUI images/functional overview.

So it becomes "trust us".

What generally pisses me off about many of these streamers is:

(1) no web based interface (i.e. browsing platform agnostic)
(2) related to this, they assume the end user is immersed in the Apple (ipad/iphone) or Android world

So maybe in respect to these points I am in the minority but as such they wont get my business.

Peter

JktHifi

Correct.

Systems like this are relatively common but for me the make or break is the interface.

However in most cases its basically impossible to get any idea of the included functionality and again in most cases the user manuals lack any detailed GUI images/functional overview.

(2) related to this, they assume the end user is immersed in the Apple (ipad/iphone) or Android world

So maybe in respect to these points I am in the minority but as such they wont get my business.

Peter
I think web-based app is dangerous because people can inject something into JavaScript. While the ipad app is more secure, people can’t modify the source from App Store but still vulnerable on http/tcp packet. At least, more secure and easier to develop.

fatoldgit

I think web-based app is dangerous because people can inject something into JavaScript. While the ipad app is more secure, people can’t modify the source from App Store but still vulnerable on http/tcp packet. At least, more secure and easier to develop.

In theory its closed loop (i.e. a canned Web app only available from the vendor) so JS injection not really an issue.

The bonus of a web interface is you can operate the device from any platform (Linux/Windows/IOS/Android) using say a select group of certified browsers (edge/firefox/opera/safari etc).

Peter

mirror88

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Correct.

Peter
Device side for Qobuz
1.png-to800px

2.png-to800px

3.png-to800px

4.png-to800px

5.png-to800px

6.png-to800px

7.png-to800px

8.png-to800px

9.png-to800px

iPhone side for Qobuz
1.jpg-to800px

2.jpg-to800px

3.jpg-to800px

4.jpg-to800px

5.jpg-to800px

6.jpg-to800px

7.jpg-to800px

8.jpg-to800px

MyCuriosity

How is it not great? It provides the same things that $5,000 HiFi Rose unit does at less than 1/5th the cost.. Show me another streamer with good looking fake VU meters AND an onboard balanced DAC that provides >110db SINAD. This plus a MiniDSP Flex Digital would make a great front end, and set you back less than $2k.
If it's great for you then it's all good.

MyCuriosity

OK, maybe irrelevant but you still gave it (your opinion). Hey that's what we do here, giving our thoughts, nothing wrong with that. Now my opinion is that the artefacts from this filter are inaudible. My opinion is also that it's a great product all things considered.
Do you think you have a better chance to get better value for money in terms of performance if you go separate DACs and streamer for the same price?

Bernd

Forum Donor
Qobuz is not available for Linux
This statement is incorrect. Quobuz can be made available for Linux quite easily via third party applications (e.g. install the Chromium app for Linux and you can use the Quobuz web player). The correct statement would be 'Quobuz does provide any native Linux installation packages'.

JktHifi

Device side for Qobuz
1.png-to800px

2.png-to800px

3.png-to800px

4.png-to800px

5.png-to800px

6.png-to800px

7.png-to800px

8.png-to800px

9.png-to800px

The only missing is Magazine tab.

But meet to my requirements:
Android 11, deeply tailored system
2xES9038Q2M DAC
3rd generation XU316
HDMI digital audio Bit-perfect output
Apple Music hi-res direct output
Music services Tidal, Qobuz

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Do you think you have a better chance to get better value for money in terms of performance if you go separate DACs and streamer for the same price?
I don't know. Maybe the Wiim? That is the only significantly more affordable streamer I have heard of so far, but it don't have a display. All others are in the same price range or more. To me it would come down to the user interface but they are not reviewed here and I have no experience with them, So I can't know.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know. Maybe the Wiim? That is the only significantly more affordable streamer I have heard of so far, but it don't have a display. All others are in the same price range or more. To me it would come down to the user interface but they are not reviewed here and I have no experience with them, So I can't know.
To me the DMP-A6 looks a lot like a “desktop-Android-DAP” (see earlier post).
To the point, a DAP with Wi-Fi ‘can’ be used as a streamer or DAC+Streamer. As an example, I use a $100 Hiby R2-II as a streamer to my Topping G5 (connected through USB-C), a transportable combo to listen to my headphones in the house. The R2-II supports Tidal & Qobuz (not tested), Airplay (reliable but no EQ), and UPNP (finicky but enables GEQ and Hiby MSEB)… and it has a (small) Display!
It’s definitely on the Gicky side, but no more than a Raspi IMO, and this is another example of a DAC+streamer cheap option.

notsodeadlizard

Still, this is a strange device.
There is nothing wrong with it, that's a fact.
But...
Touchscreen but no BT LE remote, but there is some remote control application which requires some yet another device, so it's a kind of "desktop" audio or DAP, but there is a laptop or even desktop on a typical desk so...
It seems that this is a kind of crisis of the genre "because everything digital is so simple and provides such good parameters, we collect everything together, the main thing is to have a UV meter in it all".

Wendigo79

This statement is incorrect. Quobuz can be made available for Linux quite easily via third party applications (e.g. install the Chromium app for Linux and you can use the Quobuz web player). The correct statement would be 'Quobuz does provide any native Linux installation packages'.
On my Linux desktop I use gmediarenderer. I have also set the pulse audio to 192000khz and 32bit. So it upsamples to that. Then I have on imy android phone the BubbleUpNp. So with that I just choose gmediarenderer in my wifi to be the renderer. You can just start it by "gmediarender &" in terminal. Shut it down by "kill all gmediarender". Pretty straight forwarding

woofersus

Audio Company
Still, this is a strange device.
There is nothing wrong with it, that's a fact.
But...
Touchscreen but no BT LE remote, but there is some remote control application which requires some yet another device, so it's a kind of "desktop" audio or DAP, but there is a laptop or even desktop on a typical desk so...
It seems that this is a kind of crisis of the genre "because everything digital is so simple and provides such good parameters, we collect everything together, the main thing is to have a UV meter in it all".
On the Zidoo website there are a couple of BT/IR remotes that I would assume also work with this device. Not sure how much they cost, though. Seems like at least the basic one should be included. I use a Harmony remote for everything so it doesn't really matter to me. I also would be surprised if they weren't working on an Android version of the app, though it's fair to judge it on what's available right now.

BobPM

The interface is really what a streamer is about and Amir never reviews that aspect of these devices. Indeed, I am not sure in what way the "streamer" functionality and quality was discussed at all in the review. A streamer is a computer that can independently run software to retrieve music from your local storage or the internet. A Roon endpoint is not a streamer, it is a thin client for another computer that runs the software.

Taking the computer analogy a little further, a true review of a streamer would benchmark its performance in running the software, retrieving music filed and similar tasks, as well as the company's likely support for the OS/interface.

Top Bottom