• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EquiTech 1.5RQ Balanced Power Review

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Many recording studios using balance transformers manufactured by EquiTech and Torus power. What's the definition of your "so much"? People using Hi-End gears are willing to pay over $10K to get extra 2%(hard to quantify but definitely hearable) improvements.

I know in this forum many people are singing cheap good measurement Chinese DAC, but do they sound better than Hi-End DACs? In most cases, not really.
So much? As in with very good measurements we see this unit doesn't do what is claimed. There is no indication it would improve the sound whatsoever. Not 2%, not .2%, it would appear not any percent improvement. For sound quality you gain nothing for your $4700.

Now if you think hearing is believing without controlled listening or careful measurements then this forum for the most part won't agree with you. Whether lots of people use this gear or no one the gear either helps as claimed or doesn't. The results here point very much toward does not help.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, if we want to protect our equipment and feed it good AC power, what exactly should we be buying?

I'm looking at Furman products but am at a loss as to which one(s) would represent prudent investment in protection (and if feasible reproduction quality).
SurgeX—no BS claims about sound quality and doesn’t use sacrificial MOVs:

https://www.ametekesp.com/surgex

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
APC is a good choice too. I have an APC G50 20A Power Conditioner in my AV Rack and it works great. I think I paid $225 for it.

michaelahess

APC is a good choice too. I have an APC G50 20A Power Conditioner in my AV Rack and it works great. I think I paid $225 for it.

APC quality has really gone downhill since they were bought out. I've switched my industrial stuff to Tripp-Lite. Eaton is fantastic, as a rule, as well.

I've personally had Schneider APC UPS' explode, leak badly and deform, and surge strips fry because of pinched wires from crappy assembly. Well over a dozen instances in the last few years. Not a single problem from my whole building to personal computer sized Eaton UPS' or dozens of Tripp-Lite rack mount PDU's/UPS'.

YSC

Major Contributor
I HUGE transformer + 5 x Leviton Decora 15A power outlets for $4500. Snake Oil at its best!!!
Well, what's wrong with it when it can make the purchaser HAPPY:cool:;) if it makes you feel good, it's good

Joke aside, I think for this sort of products, Amirm might be more interested to take some poor measuring things with loads of mains leakage to see if it can help a bit, just for the sake of study

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see lots of chokes in that picture so my guess is that it will clean garbage from the line. There are a lot MOVs there too so you probably have good protection from surges.
Movs are sacrificial though aren't they?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, what's wrong with it when it can make the purchaser HAPPY:cool:;) if it makes you feel good, it's good

Joke aside, I think for this sort of products, Amirm might be more interested to take some poor measuring things with loads of mains leakage to see if it can help a bit, just for the sake of study
That might be mildly interesting, but at the cost of this unit one can just choose other gear that is inherently of higher fidelity and save money.

bequietjk

So, if we want to protect our equipment and feed it good AC power, what exactly should we be buying?

I'm looking at Furman products but am at a loss as to which one(s) would represent prudent investment in protection (and if feasible reproduction quality).

Sometime ago I heard Zero Surge is a good option. Could be worth looking into.

YSC

Major Contributor
That might be mildly interesting, but at the cost of this unit one can just choose other gear that is inherently of higher fidelity and save money.
Well, just to see if that makes something as a tuning possible, you know there are tons of poor expensive stuffs out there, so to see if it’s overpriced pure snake oil or have some truth in it

dfuller

Major Contributor
Many recording studios using balance transformers manufactured by EquiTech and Torus power. What's the definition of your "so much"? People using Hi-End gears are willing to pay over $10K to get extra 2%(hard to quantify but definitely hearable) improvements.
I guarantee you they are not. Studios don't bother with this stuff.

gvl

Major Contributor
It is a gigantic transformer:

3eqt15rq-1__80065.1619816962.jpg

Must be a flying saucer at this price.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I see lots of chokes in that picture so my guess is that it will clean garbage from the line. There are a lot MOVs there too so you probably have good protection from surges.
Are the movs sacrificial?

Jdunk54nl

Protecting your equipment, a whole home surge protector installed right by where your power comes into your house.

Top Bottom