• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ on Linux: problems with Pulse Effects

YoniV

I have a problem with Pulse Effects: it seems that it produces incorrect eq, at least on my system. The full details are below. The short version:
1. I used REW to EQ my monitors, but the speakers sound different on Solus Budgie w/ PE compared to Win 10 w/ Equalizer APO (same PC, dual boot). Measurements verify that APO equalizes properly, and output sounds (subjectively) bad using PE vs very good via APO. Seems like PE algorithm does a poor job in cases of realtively heavy EQ.
2. The latency of PE is downright atrocious, requiring manual syncing for every video.

My questions:
1. Does anyone have experience with these problems?
2. I wanted to try Jack with something like Carla, but I got quite confused on how to install things properly. Is there a guide I can use to set up a system wide EQ using Jack? Should it solve these problems? Is there another recommended alternative? Preferably with a GUI and not terminal-based.

Thanks,
Yoni

------------

Further details:
Measurements and EQing was done on Windows 10, because Equalizer APO quickly tells you the required preamp to avoid clipping, but I verified (un-eq'ed) measurements were the same on Budgie.
I then translated the eq results to the .json format required by PE. However, it does't sound the same as it is on Windows. It's not completely broken, it does kind of work, just very badly. This is not some subtle thing, it's just bad. I suspect the error increases with how "heavy" the EQ is. I first EQed my headphones, and I had a "feeling" that the sound is just slightly different between systems, but it was so minute that I discarded it as physcological. But for my speakers the EQ is heavier and the difference is day and night.
I tried playing with every knob and switch that came to mind, and nothing made perceivable difference. This includes:
- Playing in the EQ app with either input gain or output gain acting as preamp.
- Promoting the Limiter app to the top and using it as preamp.
- Switching between FIR/IIR/FFT.
- Changing filter modes and slopes.
- Playing with output block size, priority type etc.
I measured the monitors after EQ in Windows and verified the actual output was indeed close to the output predicted by the EQ filters, so I know that Windows gets it right. I couldn't do it in Budgie, because for some reason PE doesn't recognize REW or something and it gets bypassed.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
If you want the lowest latency you need Jack.
with running jack you can use much better EQs like Calf or LSP plugins.

OP
Y

YoniV

Thank you both for the suggestions. What does it mean to run bare ALSA?
Also, how do I prevent conflict between jack and pulseaudio?
I tried setting up jack but it appears to be not such a trivial task...

Top Bottom