• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva launched new generation of BasX amplifiers

HPNAviator

Been looking for a 3 channel amp to help me get some boost for the LCR. Installed is a Denon X3600H in a 5.1.4 configuration with Klipsch in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. The LCR are the PRO-250RPW and the sub-woofers is a Klipsch R-SW12i. My viewing room is part of an open plan townhouse and as a result while my installation sounds OK I feel it is missing some what I describe as 'punch'. Would welcome any thoughts on if the A3 will make a notable difference given the extra power to the LCR and and also reducing the number of speakers being driven by the Denon from 9 to 6.

So far there have been no published reviews of any of the 2nd generation BasX A series so I feel where are all flying in the dark here.

Thank you in advance.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I took a chance and purchased the first Generation XPA-2 amplifier. It was strictly a middle class amp as far as I was concerned. I decided to sell it and move up. I tried to sell it on a couple of audio websites and I had it priced very reasonably. I didn’t get one nibble or offer. It was sitting there collecting dust and my wife wanted it gone. I ended up taking it to the county site where they recycle electronics. No more Emotiva products for me.
What?
Most Emotiva amps go for fairly high resale used on ebay.
Next time dont throw it away. Prolly could have donated it or given it away to a happy person on craigslist vs "recycled it".

What?
Most Emotiva amps go for fairly high resale used on ebay.
Next time dont throw it away. Prolly could have donated it or given it away to a happy person on craigslist vs "recycled it".
After a month and no bids it had to go. My next meal wasn’t hinging on selling this amplifier. Besides, I won’t be buying an further Emotiva products.

SnausPockets

Had my A3 up and running now for a couple hours listening to music. Sounds great to me. I am happy. I have no way of measuring anything though so it's just my opinion thus far. I don't exactly know how to put it but the amp seems to have more clarity and crispness yet still able to crank it like the outlaw. Better sound to me.

FWIW all the dolby multi channel stuff sounds great too even though all I did was unplug the outlaw that was running the rear heights and plug in the emotiva and switch amp setting from pre out rear heights to fronts. No new audyssey or settings...and it sounds great. I will do all that tonight. Sounds so good to me that I wonder if I even need to.

I'm afraid to know what you'd do to a working class amp. o_O
I took a chance on buying an Emotiva amp. It didn’t work out the way I wanted it to. I bought a Parasound A21 afterwards. I don’t lose sleep parting with audio equipment. Do you?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I took a chance on buying an Emotiva amp. It didn’t work out the way I wanted it to. I bought a Parasound A21 afterwards. I don’t lose sleep parting with audio equipment. Do you?

Meh, both mediocre brands.

danillll

Had my A3 up and running now for a couple hours listening to music. Sounds great to me. I am happy. I have no way of measuring anything though so it's just my opinion thus far. I don't exactly know how to put it but the amp seems to have more clarity and crispness yet still able to crank it like the outlaw. Better sound to me.

FWIW all the dolby multi channel stuff sounds great too even though all I did was unplug the outlaw that was running the rear heights and plug in the emotiva and switch amp setting from pre out rear heights to fronts. No new audyssey or settings...and it sounds great. I will do all that tonight. Sounds so good to me that I wonder if I even need to.
Are you planning to drive the fronts or just keep it for the rear? I am just curious if you notice any difference with the LCR

dmac6419

Major Contributor
How do you know they are better?
Amir never measured any Monoprice Monolith amplifiers.

Plus the Monoliths are much more expensive than Emotivas, so it's not really a fair comparison.
Monoprice Monoliths in USD:
2-ch is $1100
3-ch is $1250
5-ch is $1500
7-ch is $1730
9-ch is $2000
11-ch is $2500
Amir can't measure everything

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning

A few people were having a little chuckle at your expense. This included me even though I was quiet about it. It was impossible not to think it was funny, because the only reasons you gave for why you were unhappy with the purchase were that (1.) it was a middle class amp (2.) nobody would buy it from you for what you thought they should be willing give you for it, which left you with no choice other than to take it to the recycling center. You used the fact that you had to take it to the recycling center as a basis for disparaging the thing, even though you pretty much said that the reason you took it to the recycling center was because no one would give you what you thought they should give you for it. If you want for it to be less funny, you'll probably need to explain what exactly it was that you didn't like about it, and also maybe explain why you didn't try lowering your asking price before taking it to the recycling center.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I was very interested in 7-channel until I saw the back and no XLR inputs.

A few people were having a little chuckle at your expense. This included me even though I was quiet about it. It was impossible not to think it was funny, because the only reasons you gave for why you were unhappy with the purchase were that (1.) it was a middle class amp (2.) nobody would buy it from you for what you thought they should be willing give you for it, which left you with no choice other than to take it to the recycling center. You used the fact that you had to take it to the recycling center as a basis for disparaging the thing, even though you pretty much said that the reason you took it to the recycling center was because no one would give you what you thought they should give you for it. If you want for it to be less funny, you'll probably need to explain what exactly it was that you didn't like about it, and also maybe explain why you didn't try lowering your asking price before taking it to the recycling center.
I am glad you found it amusing. In the end it all worked out to my advantage. I found an amplifier that was better than I previously had and I was happy with. When I took the Emotiva amp to the recycling center I was sure someone would probably take it for themself. So there was no loss there. Did I lose a few bucks, sure. Ultimately, it was sitting around collecting dust and my wife wanted it out of the way.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned 2 Emotiva amps and sold both for almost as much as I paid.

No complaints for sound or reliability, so would have no problem endorsing as a solid value in Class AB amps. I do find it interesting that the basic design seems unchanged from years ago. I thought they were going to bring out a line of Class D amps and those seem to have faded now. Must be good demand and margins for BasX so maybe just a business decision. ;)

Top Bottom