• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva launched new generation of BasX amplifiers

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Emotiva just launched new generation of BasX (class A/B) amplifiers.

2-channel: BasX A2 Stereo Amplifier for US$450
3-channel: BasX A3 Three-Channel Power Amplifier for US$500
4-channel: BasX A4 Four-Channel Power Amplifier for US$500
5-channel: BasX A5 Five-Channel Power Amplifier for US$600
7-channel: BasX A7 Seven-Channel Power Amplifier for US$700

From manual:
1618100496814.png

Video overview:

These replace the previous generation:
- BasX A-100 (Amir's review here. Not recommended).
- BasX A-500 (Amir's review here. Recommended).

Discuss!

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks nice.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I would rather get Monolith by Monoprice much better quality!
How do you know they are better?
Amir never measured any Monoprice Monolith amplifiers.

Plus the Monoliths are much more expensive than Emotivas, so it's not really a fair comparison.
Monoprice Monoliths in USD:
2-ch is $1100
3-ch is $1250
5-ch is $1500
7-ch is $1730
9-ch is $2000
11-ch is $2500

LearningToSmile

Is it confirmed they're going to phase out the A-100? Because the A-2 doesn't really seem to be a direct replacement, it's more powerful, but twice the price and no headphone jack. Maybe they'll come up with A-1 later.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do you know they are better?
Amir never measured any Monoprice Monolith amplifiers.

Plus the Monoliths are much more expensive than Emotivas, so it's not really a fair comparison.
Monoprice Monoliths in USD:
2-ch is $1100
3-ch is $1250
5-ch is $1500
7-ch is $1730
9-ch is $2000
11-ch is $2500
Your right on it not being a fair comparison. Monolith is in a different league. Measurements and actual bench testing would prove it.
There is a reason the Emotiva BasX series are so cheap. I know price does not dictate sound quality or reliability usually in most audio products. But in this case i can almost guarantee it does. I don't know anyone who has had an Emotiva amp without issues, that includes the product itself and getting Emotiva to fix it. The Emotiva quality and company standards are not what they used to be years ago.

I personally would rather pay the extra for long term reliability and quality.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Not everyone can afford to pay more. For budget minded buyers, on the surface these amps look to fill the need for additional amplification on a tight budget. Pretty inviting power to dollar ratio on these.

SnausPockets

I just bought an emotiva A3. My situation fits the intended market I think.

I need something to power the extra 2 channels of my 7.2.4 as my Denon x4700h only runs 9 channels. Might as well get something to run the LCR, right? Will it be better than the Denon sounds? Who knows. The Denon sounds great actually.

The front 3 are RBH Sound C-770 vertical. Suggested power is 200w @4ohm unless I am mistaken. Never had a problem powering them they sound great.

I have an Outlaw 5000 and tried that on the LCR but ended up just using it for the rear heights as I thought the Denon front stage sounded better at low levels... truthfully I have a hard time figuring out which is better sounding because I have about a half an hour wiring in between listening sessions and my mind plays tricks on me and there is the placebo effect etc.

So I am hoping this 3 ch amp will be good enough to be obviously better than the Denon or the Outlaw for the lcr... If not it will handle the rear heights and the Outlaw goes upstairs.

500 is what I want to pay, not 1300. I just bought a PSA tv2112 so the audio budget is a bit low atm.

I also live in the Seattle area in case Amir wants to test it... just let me know.

Feel free to chime in with thoughts and advice. I will post impressions when it gets here.

SnausPockets

Appreciate the offer.
@amirm any interest?

I'd actually feel better if he did. These are new and people need to know about them. I want to know what I just bought. See some real numbers...

Also, I am vaccinated if it matters. I suspect these will be popular at the pricepoint. As a new owner, I would like to think Emotiva learned something over the years and these are the best bang for buck yet...but we won't really know unless someone tests them.

I am sure amir will get his hands on one soon, one way or the other.Looking forward to reading all about it.

danillll

I just bought an emotiva A3. My situation fits the intended market I think.

I need something to power the extra 2 channels of my 7.2.4 as my Denon x4700h only runs 9 channels. Might as well get something to run the LCR, right? Will it be better than the Denon sounds? Who knows. The Denon sounds great actually.

The front 3 are RBH Sound C-770 vertical. Suggested power is 200w @4ohm unless I am mistaken. Never had a problem powering them they sound great.

I have an Outlaw 5000 and tried that on the LCR but ended up just using it for the rear heights as I thought the Denon front stage sounded better at low levels... truthfully I have a hard time figuring out which is better sounding because I have about a half an hour wiring in between listening sessions and my mind plays tricks on me and there is the placebo effect etc.

So I am hoping this 3 ch amp will be good enough to be obviously better than the Denon or the Outlaw for the lcr... If not it will handle the rear heights and the Outlaw goes upstairs.

500 is what I want to pay, not 1300. I just bought a PSA tv2112 so the audio budget is a bit low atm.

I also live in the Seattle area in case Amir wants to test it... just let me know.

Feel free to chime in with thoughts and advice. I will post impressions when it gets here.
I am in a similar situation and debating whether to place the order for an A3 to drive my front stage. Did you receive the amplifier? Any feedback?

ta240

Major Contributor
Is it confirmed they're going to phase out the A-100? Because the A-2 doesn't really seem to be a direct replacement, it's more powerful, but twice the price and no headphone jack. Maybe they'll come up with A-1 later.

The A-2 also doesn't have a volume control; my guess is that it is a different line of the BasX amps

Your right on it not being a fair comparison. Monolith is in a different league.

That sometimes happens when the price more than doubles.

"different league" is more impressive when it doesn't also come with a matching "different price category"

The first post made it sound like it was a competing option for these amps rather than "I'd rather pay substantially more and get better quality"

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
What does the circuitry that is before the transformer do?
a2_top_web_1024x1024.png

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What does the circuitry that is before the transformer do?

I may be wrong, but it looks like a MOV's + a filtering stage with a small SMPS supply for the brains/faceplate, then a switched output to the toroid. After the toroid, I see a bridge rectifier and filtering caps, so it's probably a linear supply.

I took a chance and purchased the first Generation XPA-2 amplifier. It was strictly a middle class amp as far as I was concerned. I decided to sell it and move up. I tried to sell it on a couple of audio websites and I had it priced very reasonably. I didn’t get one nibble or offer. It was sitting there collecting dust and my wife wanted it gone. I ended up taking it to the county site where they recycle electronics. No more Emotiva products for me.

Top Bottom