• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva C3...is it just me or is this even dumber than C2+ in terms of mid drivers

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've only tested the A2+ sitting on top of the L+R as L+R, both instead of (surround) and just using "direct" + sub and they sound much better than the A1s or E2+.
Did you prop them up so they faced you?

The A2+ is mostly interesting as a height or ceiling speaker. I do the same when testing a speaker, and put them up front to see how they do as L&R.

nemesis.ie

I had them on their sides (without roatating the drivers, pointing in line with the toed in C2+s (L&R) and also vertical, while I was standing, so they pointed at my ears.

The dispersion was good in both orientations.

I'll be mounting the A2+s to the ceiling in front of the seating as "top front".

In testing, I actually preferred the E2+s over the B1+s doing the L+R test, maybe the wider dispersion of the E2+ and forward firing ports seemed better ... I've B1+s as front and rear heights, they work quite well for those.

TimeGoddess

I had them on their sides (without roatating the drivers, pointing in line with the toed in C2+s (L&R) and also vertical, while I was standing, so they pointed at my ears.

The dispersion was good in both orientations.

I'll be mounting the A2+s to the ceiling in front of the seating as "top front".

In testing, I actually preferred the E2+s over the B1+s doing the L+R test, maybe the wider dispersion of the E2+ and forward firing ports seemed better ... I've B1+s as front and rear heights, they work quite well for those.
Do you Think the A2+ would work well as side surrounds, I was interested in them to replace my Mirage Omnipolar omnisat who's tweeter is broken. I already use the C1+ and B1+ as front speakers

nemesis.ie

I do.

The included mounting plate is very flexible. You could put them at ear height and a bit in front of the listening position (as obe example), horizontal pointing rearwards or vertically and above ear height. The tweeter is rotatable to allow this.

IBJamon

I've been looking at this line of speakers for a while, and I think the A2+ is on my shortlist for ceiling speakers. But I believe they need a slightly larger tweeter since the output is clearly being limited by them. I've owned ESS AMT speakers for a long time and even their smaller tweeters can get quite loud, so I know they could do better.

nemesis.ie

I've had no issue with tweeter output, lower bass output is lacking on the smaller sealed ones if you like to cross below 80Hz but great with e.g. B1+, B2+ and of course the crazy C3+.

What ones have you actually listened to that aren't loud enough and what size room are you trying to fill?

If you want 100+ dB SPL for each speaker, you are probably looking at JTR or similar.

I'm loving the C3+ BTW.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been looking at this line of speakers for a while, and I think the A2+ is on my shortlist for ceiling speakers. But I believe they need a slightly larger tweeter since the output is clearly being limited by them. I've owned ESS AMT speakers for a long time and even their smaller tweeters can get quite loud, so I know they could do better.
I would say they need a larger woofer. It's incredibly hard to find matching speakers because these companies keep limiting surround speakers to small drivers.

IBJamon

I've had no issue with tweeter output, lower bass output is lacking on the smaller sealed ones if you like to cross below 80Hz but great with e.g. B1+, B2+ and of course the crazy C3+.

What ones have you actually listened to that aren't loud enough and what size room are you trying to fill?

If you want 100+ dB SPL for each speaker, you are probably looking at JTR or similar.

I'm loving the C3+ BTW.
My brother has some of the older B1s and C1s, and they are great, but his room isn't as large as my 18x24-ish theater room. Most of my theater has ESS AMT speakers, so I've been looking for some high quality options to fill in some of the surround and ceiling duties, and perhaps a better center also. I am currently using a ESS PS5 rotated sideways (the tweeter can rotate) and it honestly works really well, but it looks a bit goofy. :) My main speakers (ESS AMT3) can easily handle 120dB, so I was hoping for something in the center that can handle similar dynamics, but I feel like the tweeter might be a weak point in the otherwise massive C3+.

IBJamon

I would say they need a larger woofer. It's incredibly hard to find matching speakers because these companies keep limiting surround speakers to small drivers.
For the A2+, yeah, but the options for ceiling optimized speakers with AMT tweeters isn't that long, especially at reasonable prices. In my case the ceiling is unfinished, so a 'traditional' ceiling speaker might not work well.

nemesis.ie

I have the A2+ ceiling mounted (front top), they work well but another 20Hz+ lower would be nice.
I want to see a 6.5" version. Maybe front ported like the E2+ too...

Last edited:

AngryZeus

finally joined
Surprised there is not more than 1 YouTube review of the C3+ yet
Anyone have it?

I have Kef LS 50 Wireless v1 and a Rel S812. For HT, considering making the Kef's into ceiling and using old DefTech 8020's as rears since they have subs that'll get me to 3x subs out the gate.
just can't decide on center.

I do like to sit close tot he TV (85" Samsung) so my concern is that the C3+ tweeter will be too small of a dispersion considering I like to sit close to the TV (I've got very bad eyes so sitting further back is not really a choice)

nemesis.ie

I mentioned I have it. :)
It's wonderful. :)
Ultra clear with deep, tight bass and good coverage.
The tweeter dispersion is good, definitely better than the previous Emotiva AMT tweeters. I so want to see some proper review, sadly, I think Erin's Klippel is in storage, can someone in the US organise getting one (and some T3+ towers and an A2+) over to Amir? (@amirm)
How close are you talking about? I'm at 3m or so (115" screen) and I would not want to be nearer than maybe 2. Dispersion is usually less of an issue if sitting closer, unless you are off to one side?
If you are 3m+ it will be great. For less than 2 I'd go for a C1+/something else or wait for a smaller one with the new tweeter.
As an aside, what's your eye problem? Have you looked into IOLs? I got them about 2 years ago and now have a full range of vision from n4 to 20/18 without glasses.

Last edited:

beaRA

finally joined
Surprised there is not more than 1 YouTube review of the C3+ yet
Anyone have it?

I have Kef LS 50 Wireless v1 and a Rel S812. For HT, considering making the Kef's into ceiling and using old DefTech 8020's as rears since they have subs that'll get me to 3x subs out the gate.
just can't decide on center.

I do like to sit close tot he TV (85" Samsung) so my concern is that the C3+ tweeter will be too small of a dispersion considering I like to sit close to the TV (I've got very bad eyes so sitting further back is not really a choice)
If you are sitting close to the TV, you should stick with the C1+ in the Emotiva lineup. You don't need the extra output of the C3+ at close listening distances. The tweeter dispersion is not a concern. You should be more concerned with the narrow midrange dispersion of the C3+ due to the MTM layout. The C1+ doesn't have this problem.

Why not a 3rd Kef LS50 as your center?

nemesis.ie

@beaRA Has someone actually posted dispersion plots showing narrow mid dispersion or is that just your expectation from it being MTM?

What frequencies do you mean by midrange? 500Hz to 2500kHz?

Would that still be the case if the speaker can be positioned vertically (e.g. with AT screen)?

I'm keen to try that but it's a heavy beast to move around and is working really well. Putting it vertically would also mean I have to move my processor and 2 x 15" subs so it may well not be worth the effort/pain. :)

Last edited:

nemesis.ie

No, the tweeters in the C/T3+ and A2+ are new. A square/rotatable (90 degrees) design with a different waveguide and possibly other changes.

This was discussed in this very thread! ;)

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

If you are sitting close to the TV, you should stick with the C1+ in the Emotiva lineup. You don't need the extra output of the C3+ at close listening distances. The tweeter dispersion is not a concern. You should be more concerned with the narrow midrange dispersion of the C3+ due to the MTM layout. The C1+ doesn't have this problem.

Why not a 3rd Kef LS50 as your center?
Exactly!
Why would anyone be considering the C3+, specially in THIS forum of all places with that terribly dumb side by side dual mid drivers causing all sorts of comb filtering issues (like with the c2+) thus making it no better than an MTM when it comes to horizontal dispersion..you know, one of the main things a center is meant to do??? There are MUCH better options out there and supporting such bad products is sending the wrong message to those companies.
And sure you will always get people that say this or that product is great...goes for even the most piece of crap products on the market. Like they say...you dont know what you dont know...

nemesis.ie

a) It actually sounds great. b) can you hear said comb filtering effects? c) if you mount it vertically, what effect does that have on any perceived ill effects?

You will also get folks saying something is crap that have never even heard it nor seen objective testing.

One thing I do know for sure: the dispersion is better than the C2+ in my room. ;)

But maybe the Altitude 32 and my narrowish room are masking all these alleged problems?

Given you started this apparent FUD thread just based on pictures (and made some incorrect assumptions about the tweeter IIRC) I think you have shown far more bias than me, who actually has one - and I freely admit I am biased as a result and want to see proper test results.

Top Bottom