• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elekit TU-8200R amplifier - anybody built or heard one?

Your thoughts about building an Elekit TU-8200R tube amplifier kit:

• Sad, very sad. I guess we won't see you on this forum for much longer...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are better choices if it absolutely has to be a tube amp (please comment)

• I built one, and it blew up after a week

• Good kit, but I would suggest a few changes (please comment)

• Get a Texas Instruments TPA3255EVM evaluation kit and a good power supply instead

• Total voters

Gruesome

Forum Donor
I know, I know, it's heresy, but I find myself thinking it might be fun to put together such a single ended tube amplifier kit that should be able to drive speakers at modest volume. From the little I read, it seems like a reasonably competent electrical design and a well made kit. But I could be wrong. And of course at the end of the day it's still a tube amp.

Has anybody here built one, or knows somebody who built one, or has heard one, and would like to comment or advise, or just generally encourage or berate me?

Are there better alternatives among affordable single ended tube amps? Maybe with more power? Or is this my best pick in the <$1000 realm?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Might help to post the schematic and any other info you have. Lots of people here are tubers.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never built one or have much desire, but the Elekit TU-8200R amplifier is offered buy some reputable suppliers. As for quality, check out the review by Ken Rockwell which is generally positive (given the class of amplifier it is).

My kit building days are over mostly due to deteriorating eye sight, but I were looking for something to assemble, I'd probably look at something else. (Presently I'm attracted to the Akitka PR-102 preamp.)

OP
Gruesome

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Thanks, fpitas and Gorgonzola!
Here are a few sample pages from the instructions:
TU-8200R circuit diagram.jpg

TU-8200R instructions sample.jpg
TU-8200R PCB overview.jpg

And a few pics from finished kits from another forum (Ken Rockwell has also very nice pics of the PCBs, but I think he states explicitly that his pics are not for reuse):

ek1-jpg.1152701
52a6747e-f10c-4b63-a25f-ad51c6ec70ec-jpeg.1152601

This one was apparently assembled with different capacitors which do not quite fit (bottom right/left in the pics).

I'd be very interested in ASR forum opinions on and experiences with this kit amplifier.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't built that one, but I've built a smaller Elekit, purchased from VK Music (nice guy). Those newer designs are very clever in the way they almost completely eliminate point to point wiring, and the end result looks very professional. Cabinets fit together way better than Heathkits of old.

OP
Gruesome

Gruesome

Forum Donor
I decided to order one, just like Jeff above directly from Victor Kung in Vancouver, with better (mostly larger, I think; but also a different brand) output transformers. I should note that the schematic above is for a TU-8200, whereas the current model is the TU-8200R, with a few modifications to the headphone circuitry, and maybe elsewhere (higher current rectifier bridges?).

Last edited:

HedgeHog

I know, I know, it's heresy, but I find myself thinking it might be fun to put together such a single ended tube amplifier kit that should be able to drive speakers at modest volume. From the little I read, it seems like a reasonably competent electrical design and a well made kit. But I could be wrong. And of course at the end of the day it's still a tube amp.

Has anybody here built one, or knows somebody who built one, or has heard one, and would like to comment or advise, or just generally encourage or berate me?

Are there better alternatives among affordable single ended tube amps? Maybe with more power? Or is this my best pick in the <$1000 realm?
FWIW, I was at Victor's house a few years ago to pickup so CDs and he played the discs through the Eleckit (modded with upgraded components) and a set of Spendors speakers. They sounded incredible for those skinny towers and modest power output. Enough bass to be convincing and sounded quite smooth and warm). For the price, it was definitely worth considering if I didn't already have something. My CAD$0.02

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea if you can find something cheaper that's worth owning etc., but if you want to build a tube amp that one looks pretty good to me.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
VK displaying his wares, circa 2017. I think he knows at least three languages.
_DSC4270.jpg

OP
Gruesome

Gruesome

Forum Donor
My amplifier (kit) is stuck in Cincinnati... Probably for the weekend, because DHL claims they don't work on weekends?!
Well, that gives me time to critically assess my trusted soldering iron, and maybe invest in a temperature controlled gizmo.

OP
Gruesome

Gruesome

Forum Donor
So DHL does deliver on Sundays. Seemed unlikely they wouldn't. Couldn't hurt if they would let their phone-answering people know.

OP
Gruesome

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Ok, so I got the amplifier together without burning myself too badly, and I must say I really like it!

I picked this kit because it had gotten great reviews as a good example of single ended tube amplifiers. Unfortunately most of those reviews are of the 'flowery' subjective kind.
If anything probably a bit worse, because it's a tube amp.
Luckily Ken Rockwell posted some numbers and plots which confirm that this is indeed not one of those 116 dB SINAD amplifiers, but should still have serviceable sub-percent noise and distortion unless driven into its (few Watt) power limit.

Listening, I'm very pleased that I can't hear any audible deficiencies (I have what you might call about 66 dB or 11 bit ears, i.e. I can discern 0.05% THD in a 125 Hz test signal). The amplifier has plenty of power to drive my KEF R3s to my listening levels and beyond - I typically listen at 60 to 75 dB, with peaks around 77 dB and 91 dB respectively according to REW (the average to peak ratio probably depending quite a bit on the music). A few Watt of power should be enough for that.

But I also wanted to do at least a very rough check that I'm not fooling myself into hearing what I want to hear, so here are a few very rudimentary and low quality but hopefully still somewhat meaningful measurements.

I'm comparing acoustical measurements of frequency response from 20 Hz to 20 kHz and distortion at 100 Hz and 1 kHz for the Elekit TU-8200R against a Loxjie A30, with the rest of the audio chain exactly identical.
I'm running REW on my Microsoft Surface 7 tablet, I use the DAC and headphone output of the tablet, feed that into the line input of either the TU-8200R or the A30, and either amp drives one KEF R3 on the left channel. The speaker gets recorded by REW using a UMIK-2 microphone at a distance of 1 meter, coaxial with the tweeter.

The TU-8200R is set to 'ultra linear' mode, output tap switch on high impedance. It draws 64 Watt from the mains at 122 Volt, if I can believe my trusty Etekcity WiFi plug/power monitor, and runs with the case 13K (above transformer hump) to 22K (center between tubes) warmer than ambient (38C to 47C for 25C ambient, measured after a few hours).

The first plot shows frequency response with the same speaker in the same room, same microphone, same positions, for two SPL levels; so please ignore the wiggles, what matters is the differences in each of the two sets of curves.
TU-8200R and Loxjie A30 very similar at 75 and 85 dB.jpg

I'm relieved that there doesn't seem to be any 'warm' tube amp roll off at high frequencies, and the output transformers are not doing anything horrible at low frequencies either. The TU-8200R response (driving the KEF R3) is a bit (1 dB?) higher around 2 to 4 kHz, and maybe a dB or two lower around 150 - 250 Hz, but that is in a region of pretty wiggly room response, so maybe one should refrain from overinterpreting that.

Distortion: these are particularly bad measurements. There is quite a bit of mains 2nd (and 4th) harmonic coming through, and the noise floor is overall pretty horrible, but the measurements should be good enough to exclude or confirm multi-percent second harmonic, should it be present.

1kHz 75 dB amp setting (less than 75 dB for the single frequency in this measurement):
1kHz TU-8200R 75 dB THD 0.41 percent.jpg

1 kHz 85 dB:

1kHz TU-8200R 85 dB THD 1.33 percent.jpg

100 Hz 75 dB:
100Hz TU-8200R 75 dB auto windows THD 0.36 percent.jpg

100 Hz 85 dB setting:
100Hz TU-8200R 85 dB THD 0.67 percent.jpg

For comparison, the solid state amp driving the same speaker:
1kHz 75 dB setting:
1kHz Loxjie A30 aux input 75 dB THD 0.067 percent.jpg

1kHz Loxjie A30 85 dB THD 0.14 percent.jpg

100Hz Loxjie A30 75 dB THD 0.45 percent.jpg
0 Hz 75 dB:

100Hz 85 dB:
100Hz Loxjie A30 85 dB THD 0.38 percent.jpg

So there is definitely some added distortion due to the TU-8200R at 85 dB noise level setting (80-81 dB single frequency SPL), but we are at the limits of this measurement setup:

frequency / SPLTHD solid state A30THD tube TU-8200R
100 Hz 75 dB0.45%0.36%
100 Hz 85 dB0.38%0.67%
1 kHz 75 dB0.067%0.41%
1 kHz 85 dB0.14%1.33%

Attachments

• 100Hz Loxjie A30 75 dB THD 0.45 percent.jpg
    100Hz Loxjie A30 75 dB THD 0.45 percent.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 48
  • TU-8200R and Loxjie A30 very similar at 75 and 85 dB.jpg
    TU-8200R and Loxjie A30 very similar at 75 and 85 dB.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, so I got the amplifier together without burning myself too badly, and I must say I really like it!

Congratulations on a successful build! That amp sure would look fine stacked atop the matching preamplifier, wouldn't it (evil laugh).

OP
Gruesome

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Turns out my TU-8200R had a broken power transformer plug, and one of the two primary side windings wasn't powered!
All voltages were 18% down. I fixed it, after confirmation from Victor that the kit is not supposed to have a loose wire from the transformer.
First time this happened in eight years, apparently.

Here's my first attempt at measuring it with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo:
TU-8200R -12.1 dBFS input 0.160 V out 51 nMW into 8 Ohm -71 dB at 1 kHz.jpg

With 0.54 V in and 0.64 V out (equivalent to 51 mW into 8 Ohm and 0.086mW into 300 Ohm headphones at the low headphone setting) at 1 kHz, noise and distortion add up to - 70 dB below the signal, which is not state of the art for the 21st century, but also not completely useless. I'm typically listening at about 74 dB SPL, and the room noise level is at about 30 dB SPL, so anything 40 dB and more below the signal disappears in the ambient noise.
3rd harmonic is higher than 2nd harmonic.
Here is an RTA graph at similar settings, which confirms the unexpected relative contributions from 2nd and 3rd harmonic:

TU 9 o clock 0.298 V output HP low THD 0.025 percent.jpg

To be continued.

Attachments

• TU 2 x 60 mW into HP resistors THD -71 dB.jpg
    TU 2 x 60 mW into HP resistors THD -71 dB.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
OP
Gruesome

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Rookie mistake in hooking up the Focusrite Scarlett Solo (henceforth Solo) to the TU-8200R. The Solo has balanced I/O on 1/4" TRS, the TU is stereo.

I used a TRS to 2xRCA cable from the Solo output to the TU input, and then connected the TU headphone output to the Solo line input with a TRS to TRS cable. This drives the TU stereo channels in antiphase (180 degree offset), and the stereo out to balanced in then combines the two phases again.
Voila, push-pull even harmonics cancellation!

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I built the TU-8500 preamp and enjoy it. I would love to see Amir test it, but I don't want to mail it.
I screwed up building the preamp and tore a few traces. I'd be happy to send it off to anyone who wants it for spare parts/an attempted repair

OP
Gruesome

Gruesome

Forum Donor
or even better, post pictures. Then we can all participate!

Top Bottom