• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Triliza

Forum Donor
Do you know any stereo amp with HDMI arc and sub out?
Beside Nr-1200, there is Pioneer SX-S30, Onkyo TX-8270 and Denon DRA-800H (mentioned here). Denon review wasn't that great, I don't know anything about how these units handle bass management (it may be as well that Marantz is the better choice overall). The Pioneer is class D I think if that is something you care about.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Many here also choose an AVR for HDMI and bass management even for 2 channel. Really it’s a personal preference if you feel that not using the extra channels of amplification is wasteful or you feel AVRs are technically compromised in some way.

Phidel

Okey at this point I have these options in the hand:

Sonos Amp
Marantz SR5015
Marantz Nr1200
Pioneer SX-30DAB

If I want a good 2.1 sound quality via HDMI arc for music and games, what is the best option? Not mandatory, but I prefer EQ tweak function (bass and treble minimum)

I supose the Elac DBR62 has a superior sound quality and combined with the Elac 10.2S (subwoofer) I will have a superior sound scene than The Fives and without any hiss sound, is it so?

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Okey at this point I have these options in the hand:

Sonos Amp
Marantz SR5015
Marantz Nr1200
Pioneer SX-30DAB

If I want a good 2.1 sound quality via HDMI arc for music and games, what is the best option? Not mandatory, but I prefer EQ tweak function (bass and treble minimum)

I supose the Elac DBR62 has a superior sound quality and combined with the Elac 10.2S (subwoofer) I will have a superior sound scene than The Fives and without any hiss sound, is it so?
it would be difficult to choose. I think all 4 are pretty equal in sound quality and I can think of no reason you’d hear a hiss or noise. I’ve only heard the Sonos and a similar Marantz. It just comes down to what features/power you like. I’d probably rule out the Marantz AVR unless I wanted to expand to home theatre just based on cost. Personally i almost bought a Sonos, but there was no stock. Now I’m kind of glad I didn’t. The lack of a volume knob I think would bother me.

Slash/

Crutchfield is including a pair of white stands with the white/oak pair of speakers, at no extra cost. $699, free shipping, free stands. Just sales tax. Let's get this over with!

suzook

Thoughts on using these as studio monitors? Obviously I would need separate amp, but I am ok with that.

Doenerkunde

About a month ago I pulled the trigger on a pair of Elac DBR62. German retailer Media Markt first had them at 319€, then 299€, then 269€ and when they announced a „no VAT sale“ and price came down to 226€ I could not resist any longer. Sorry I didn´t inform you about the sale, but I just created my account ☹

Here is a pic of the Elacs next to my Bonsai Akustik Ideal SE (long gone one man manufacturer that used SEAS drivers, the speakers were built around the year 2000 and cost 500€, bought them used for 113€ six years ago), Marantz PM7001 and Pro Ject DAC.

elacs.jpg

First impressions compared to the Bonsais: In the lower midbass the Elacs are louder, in the upper bass the Bonsais are louder, in the presence region the Elacs seem to be a little bit louder, in the brilliance region the Bonsais are clearly louder again.

The Elacs sound clearly „darker“ and bass extends deeper. My first listening impressions are somewhat mixed: Old recordings from the 70s and 80s, Rock and Metal sound better on the Elacs (not as harsh and thin as before), while urban, rap and trap sound better on the Bonsais (I guess they are not affected as much by the typical upper bass floor bounce cancellation because they exaggerate this region and are not affected by my 55hz room mode as much and as a result sound „faster and bouncier“). For the first evening I had trouble unterstanding movie dialogue with the Elacs, but that changed rather quickly. After listening exclusively to the Elacs for a few weeks, I switched back to Bonsais two days ago and again had trouble understanding movie dialogue for the first hour or so, which lends some credence to the importance of habit. Soundstage is another category where the speakers differ: The phanton center is more stable with the Elacs, but the soundstage is narrower and more shallow.

To verify my listening impressions I got an Umik-1 Mic for christmas and did my very first measurements. I got some results that seem to verify my subjective impressions, but I am not comfortable sharing them just yet, because I´m a noob and there is much room for improvement on my part, but I will keep you updated.

Thanks to you all and especially Amir for this forum! I really enjoyed reading through it for a year or so and hope to be able to make some miniscule contributions in the future! :)

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! Truly appreciate that you made the effort to make ASR members aware of this deal.
There's better...
What about 299€/pair?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about 299€/pair?
How about 289€/pair if you pay via bank transfer? ;)

Anyway, i got a pair, also two Elac low end active subs. I also have a spare MiniDSP 2x4HD and a spare Yamaha A-S300. Should be fun. :cool:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About a month ago I pulled the trigger on a pair of Elac DBR62. German retailer Media Markt first had them at 319€, then 299€, then 269€ and when they announced a „no VAT sale“ and price came down to 226€ I could not resist any longer.
226€ a pair? Awesome! o_O:p

warpdrive

wow, good price. Here in Canada they are $899 CAD + sales tax (13%). Not so much an impulse buy

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wow, good price. Here in Canada they are $899 CAD + sales tax (13%). Not so much an impulse buy
That's like 618€.

You could import from the shop VintageFlanker linked to, the reduced VAT would likely offset the import cost. You have 11 minutes to get the 15%. :oops:

Phidel

Hello,

Finally I bought these speakers and a Marantz nr1200, I will use it with a TV as a PC monitor (4k@120Hz) and I have one question, can I use it with their HDMI ARC connection only for sound? I want to use the TV at 4@120Hz with HDMI ARC functions but the Marantz output is 4k@60Hz.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

Finally I bought these speakers and a Marantz nr1200, I will use it with a TV as a PC monitor (4k@120Hz) and I have one question, can I use it with their HDMI ARC connection only for sound? I want to use the TV at 4@120Hz with HDMI ARC functions but the Marantz output is 4k@60Hz.
Yes. Plug your PC into the TV and then use your TV's arc HDMI connection to run HDMI out of the TV to your HDMI arc input on the marantz

Phidel

Yes. Plug your PC into the TV and then use your TV's arc HDMI connection to run HDMI out of the TV to your HDMI arc input on the marantz
But the Marantz only has HDMI ARC output, the inputs are HDMI without ARC.

warpdrive

But the Marantz only has HDMI ARC output, the inputs are HDMI without ARC.

HDMI ARC is a two way connection.

Connect your TV HDMI Input (the one labelled ARC), to the HDMI ARC output of your Marantz.
Connect your PC to a second TV HDMI Input. Connect other devices to the TV directly as well.

Make sure HDMI ARC is enabled in your TV settings and Marantz settings.

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. You would need to set your marantz to "TV audio" or equivalent input source and it should play whatever is coming from the TV. You may need to check the instruction manual. This is how I have my Denon set up

Phidel

Many thanks both!!

My last question, at this moment I have The Fives connected to TV and also I have a sub (Elac 10.2S) connected to improve the bass and I'm very happy with that because I love the bass punch from the sub for music and games. But the Marantz only has pre-sub out, It doesn't filter the output to the speakers thus the speakers would play also the bass signal, how I can reproduce only the bass across the sub?

Benedium

Forum Donor
Many thanks both!!

My last question, at this moment I have The Fives connected to TV and also I have a sub (Elac 10.2S) connected to improve the bass and I'm very happy with that because I love the bass punch from the sub for music and games. But the Marantz only has pre-sub out, It doesn't filter the output to the speakers thus the speakers would play also the bass signal, how I can reproduce only the bass across the sub?
Uh under denon/marantz settings, set speakers to small and set crossover to 80hz?

Phidel

Uh under denon/marantz settings, set speakers to small and set crossover to 80hz?

Look at this, specially the last post:

Top Bottom