• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi v3 load dependency with Elac dbr62 - A problem?

OP
W

Wasteecity

Is the Fosi powerful enough with the DBR62? I doubt it. They require current down there.

Also, seeing you associating it with a preamp, no one thought of Fosi's own P3 tube preamp? I asked them and P3 has a 3.4db gain which could boost P3 performance.

The load depending thing could improve Elac's rolled-off highs from 10Khz on...
I'd say its powerful enough more or less, definitely dont have any problems since my source gives enough power in the first place. Talking about frequency response its a diff of 1db as you can see compared to a normal class AB Amp (provided by Doenerkunde :) )

Generally I'm also not a big fan of tubes since objectively seen they're worse than class D/AB etc. and just add more distortion but of course what not be mine, might be someone elses cup of tea.

Attachments

• fosi marantz centered.png
    fosi marantz centered.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 60

NoMoFoNo

It's so easy to get lost in graphs, but <1db difference at very high frequencies is not something I'm getting excited about as a listener. Up to 10Khz on that plot the difference is <.5db. I'll take that all day every day from the little $100 amp!

CURRUPIPI

Hello, I can now confirm that all is OK. Maybe speakers are breaking after some hours, but now power is a LOT improved, with more round sound and full bass. Usual listening volume from 3 meters don´t take more than 10W or so, and the Fosi V3 dial needed to set at less than 1/4 total power . Thanks to all people, I can confirm now that ELAC BDR62 + FOSI V3 are a fine, good and cheap combination. Far far better sound that from my Yamaha Pianocraft 60w (and its don´t sound bad at all)

CauliflowerEars

Does Fosi V3 (with Fosi 48V PSU) make anyone’s DBR62s sound … heavy and ‘boomy’?

That’s my very first impression. As if the amp was ‘forcing’ the power/sound. Seems a bit ‘muddy’, and instrument separation not very clear.

Maybe I’ve got a faulty unit or doing something wrong? Maybe the new amp needs more hours/days?
On Monday I might have some time for proper testing, but atm the impression is, Aiyima a07 (w/ stock 32V PSU) doesn’t sound as ‘heavy’.

Right now I’ve got one speaker connected to V3 and one to A07, and reconnect the DAC between them. Might get a RCA Splitter and banana plugs for better testing.
I’d also welcome good songs in mono to test (as I’m using 1 speaker per amp). Really curious …

Tidal HiFi -> Wiim Mini -> Topping E50 -> Fosi V3 - Elac DBR62.

CURRUPIPI

Hello, for the same reason i´m not fully convinced with Fosi V3 (including 48V) being capable to extract all juice from Elacs DBR62. Don`t sound bad at all.... but i believe it can be better. Now i am awaiting a vintage Yamaha Ax-400 I have purchased.
What I hace also discovered , and as i have read in other places, is that ELAC needs good music sources. It can reveal bad quality music sources very easily.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Stumbled across this thread by accident though asked specifically about the DBR 62s in the main Fosi thread from amir's review. I'm more concerned about current capability due the frequency dependent large phase angle that is a characteristic of these speakers. Currently using a Yamaha A-S501 which is more than capable.
Another question on the Fosi, can you output to a sub?

CURRUPIPI

Stumbled across this thread by accident though asked specifically about the DBR 62s in the main Fosi thread from amir's review. I'm more concerned about current capability due the frequency dependent large phase angle that is a characteristic of these speakers. Currently using a Yamaha A-S501 which is more than capable.
Another question on the Fosi, can you output to a sub?
No, Fosi V3 has no subwoofer out. On another question, how the Yamaha A-S501 handles the DBR62 in terms of power, clarity &sound quality?

Bernard23

No, Fosi V3 has no subwoofer out. On another question, how the Yamaha A-S501 handles the DBR62 in terms of power, clarity &sound quality?
Well, as meaningful as a subjective opinion can go it works just fine. I regularly crank it to 85-90dB spl measured at my chair. The quality of the elacs is obvious using the Yamaha. However, I use a sub, so I use the PEQ in Wiim and Roon with a shelf filter bass cut from 60Hz and boost the sub accordingly. Eases the load on the yamaha, and the bass drivers of the elacs. I have tried it flat without the sub and I'm pretty sure the yamaha watts are real.

CURRUPIPI

Well, as meaningful as a subjective opinion can go it works just fine. I regularly crank it to 85-90dB spl measured at my chair. The quality of the elacs is obvious using the Yamaha. However, I use a sub, so I use the PEQ in Wiim and Roon with a shelf filter bass cut from 60Hz and boost the sub accordingly. Eases the load on the yamaha, and the bass drivers of the elacs. I have tried it flat without the sub and I'm pretty sure the yamaha watts are real.
Thanks, although the Yamaha ax-400 is only 55w/channel (instead 85w of as-501) I usually don`t get so loud, so it (in theory) would be enough)

CauliflowerEars

for the same reason i´m not fully convinced with Fosi V3 (including 48V) being capable to extract all juice from Elacs DBR62
What do you mean? My impression with the 48V is as if it is too ‘heavy’ with the V3 for DBR62 (maybe I’ll do more tests later on, as the first test was done after the V3 was cold/just delivered from freezing temps).

And above my comment, it seemed as if you highly praised the V3 :) Right now I’m actually leaning towards Aiyima A07 with the stock 32V PSU. After first quick tests, seems it gives more details in the higher tones.

CURRUPIPI

What do you mean? My impression with the 48V is as if it is too ‘heavy’ with the V3 for DBR62 (maybe I’ll do more tests later on, as the first test was done after the V3 was cold/just delivered from freezing temps).

And above my comment, it seemed as if you highly praised the V3 :) Right now I’m actually leaning towards Aiyima A07 with the stock 32V PSU. After first quick tests, seems it gives more details in the higher tones.
Well, I can now tell my opinion on both (really three amplifiers)-

First: don´t mistake, the Fosi v3 is a terrific value for the money. I like a lot, and better with 48V PSU. So buying it is Ok, and a bargain. If your find it very heavy with ELAC´s DBR62, maybe your tweeters are still no really broken in. Please test the tweeters are really working . I found the Fosi V3 sounds tends to the neutral or cool side, so it pairs well with the ELAC´s DBR62.

Second: The Yamaha AX-400 (>20 years old!!) sounds definitely better for me for some reasons. It is "softer", powerful and warmer with less treble (I need to eq a bit it, in this aspect here the Fosi v3 wins) but in exchange, maybe the displacement of the overall band to lower frequencies, the soundstage improves a lot for me. Whereas the Fosi V3 sounds with relative poor soundstage for me, the Yamaha make me"pops" the stereo imaging. (Same speakers placement, same wires, DAC, etc....). The Yamaha MCR-E810 lacks that stereo imaging too, so it maybe related with the overall frequency response.

Each ears are different, and mine are lightly defective in some frequencies (confirmed by my wife a lot of times ;) ), so with independence of raw numbers, maybe i need something diferent than neutral sound. As i wear also glasses, the light I can see through the lens are no neutral at all, but i can see better with glasses that without glasses.

CauliflowerEars

If your find it very heavy with ELAC´s DBR62
V3 sounds good now. I think it might have been the 48V PSU. It made both V3 and A07 sound heavy. But after some time, it’s fine. Maybe it was due to the cold it was exposed to, while in transport.

Now, the V3 seems fuller than the A07.

CauliflowerEars

Has anyone tried the Topping Pa5 II with the Elac DBR62?

Apparently it doesn’t have the load dependency and I was curious, if it’s much different (better?) than the Fosi V3 with those speakers.

bobcat11

Hello, for the same reason i´m not fully convinced with Fosi V3 (including 48V) being capable to extract all juice from Elacs DBR62. Don`t sound bad at all.... but i believe it can be better. Now i am awaiting a vintage Yamaha Ax-400 I have purchased.
What I hace also discovered , and as i have read in other places, is that ELAC needs good music sources. It can reveal bad quality music sources very easily.
I wonder if this is why I am not liking the V3 amp. I hear harshness around 6k HZ. It's a bit tizzy. EQuing to fix this is not working for me.
I first tried Elac B62 but found them to bright. Now I find the same problem in the treble the DBR62 even though the highs are supposed to be more polite?

Added some room treatment but it doesn't fix this ringing. So, I wonder if it is the V3 amp.

Similar results with different DACs.

I don't have access to another amp. Wish I could find an amp that is known to sound very good with the DBR62.

Bernard23

My DBR62 are anything but bright in my system - Yamaha A-S501.

Top Bottom