• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking at the Marantz NR1200 Stereo Receiver

Hotwetrat

Currently I have the SMSL SA300 + Sanskrit 10th MKII + Concept 20

I am considering sending both the SMSL's back and taking a huge leap to the NR1200 - I like the ARC and HDMI functionality, Optical in etc, however if there's one thing I have learnt on here it's how over price brand names can be.

Audio fidelity is paramount and I don't fancy literally doubling my budget for.... A HDMI socket... (if you get what I mean)

The Marantz is £550

Any thoughts on what this move would net me? If I could just clarify something, since I got my Concept 20, AMP, then DAC and SB1000 Pro I love it all so much and I am getting so much enjoyment out of this setup it's given my the HiFi 'bug' (again). I don't mind spending a bit more, but I just don't want to WASTE money or throw it down the drain.

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a sense, DACs and amps tend to be kind of boring, because competently-designed ones (which I'd expect SMSL to be) will pretty much sound the same unless you drive the amps into distortion. The real reason to change these mostly boils down to features, form-factors and novelty.

The Marantz NR1200 is a puzzler to me: If you want video-related features, why not choose an AVR? Because NR1200 practically is one, but it lacks one major feature, namely, Audyssey room correction. Denon and Marantz AVRs allow you to configure with as little as 2 speakers and still use that feature (not always a given, so consult the owner's manuals before you buy). Room correction can significantly improve your sonics.

I own an NR1608 and it's fine for 2-channel use. Only gripe is wonky headphone jack with intermittent right channel. I blame that on a crappy relay which I will probably replace at some point.

OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

Thanks I have been down that route several times all the way to Anthem with ARC etc however I want nothing but dedicated STEREO (2.1) this time.

I feel you get more for your money with 2 channels vs 5/7.1 etc. Sticking with Stereo this time but from what you say I am not going to get much from the Marantz except a few handy features for quite a bit more money so I should perhaps rethink.

I'll see what the consensus is on here - I very much appreciate your input (pun somewhat intended)

OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

Jeez......

I was wondering about the DAC in the Marantz and it's the AK4458 - is that actually LOWER end than the Sanskrit ??

SOULKAT

Stereo AV Receiver or just use my Stereo system ? { Possible buys or just replace my Amp ? Marantz NR1200 or Denon DRA 800H Stereo Receivers }
For Pioneer PDP Plasma Tv with Apple 4K Fire Qube 4K Mac Mini + Topping E30 Dac
To Arcam Alpha 8 Amp
B&W Speakers 601s
Moth Turntable and Denon Tape Deck
It's all wired up at the moment with HDMI { Old HDMI 1.3 i think } TO THE TV FROM APPLE 4K TV & FIRE QUBE & MAC MINI
I am using the X2 Phono red and white audio out to my amp { That plays audio from the tv the mac mini the apple tv and the fire qube and the audio from the tv speakers Great & Also using the Toslink audio out on the tv to my DAC { But that only plays audio from my DVT Well the audio from the free view or normal tv but when i leave the tv speakers on using the Toslink it plays out of sink with the tv and sort of echoes }
Also my mac mini goes through the DAC as well and that works fine

So i need a new amp Do i buy the AV Receivers or just an denon PMA600 Amp & use the same connections as i can also stream from my phone using Apple TV And when my computers is on like i have some kind of streamer
So will i be better of buying an AV and plug all the HDMIs into that { I am not bothered about 5.1 as Stereo will do me fine well maybe a Sub so its 2.1 }

Quote Reply

saint_louis_bagels

I'm disappointed this thread doesn't have more posts because I am actually in the same boat as you, @Hotwetrat.

I'm planning on getting a 2.0 setup for one of my friends, and I want it to be small and convenient as possible without being absurdly expensive. By this, I mean it has to take up minimal space, have an HDMI ARC port for CEC, and Spotify Connect functionality. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how difficult of a task this would be because it seems there are only 3 items in the market that accomplish this;
-Marantz NR1200
-Marantz NR1510
-Sonos Amp

Both Marantz are on the smaller side of AVR's (actually they have identical dimension). I'm probably leaning towards the NR1200 because it seems to be more focused on the audio quality, and it has a bunch of reviews from a lot of publications

And then there's the SONOS Port which is astonishingly small, has great power output, and it's a step into the SONOS ecosystem.

I'm buying the system in a couple of a months, so it's really a toss-up between the NR1200 and the Port, but it was sad to realize how rare it was for an HDMI ARC port to be implemented. Needing only 1 remote is a great quality of life feature! We're already spending a fortune to get the luxury of HiFi, why not include HDMI ARC as well?!

Foulchet

I bought the NR1200 and the price has jumped by the time (in France). I also wondered why NR1510/1 ou NR1710/1 were about the same price or even now sometimes sold for less. But now it is too late…
It is not that a big deal since I will never use more than a stereo setup and I some day I upgrade to more than 2.0 there will be a lot newer models and I would buy a full size AVR.

What is sure is that the slim design is perfect for me and the device is really practical and almost all-in-one (it just lacks a CD player). The HDMI (e)Arc is really convenient since it starts the amp as soon as you start your TV. With HEOS and Airplay, you have all the sources you need.
The only « issue » is that input is always stzreo PCM (you can connect a subwoofer but it would be not real 2.1). Maybe another one I did not ABed is that AirPlay music sounds a bit worse than connected IPhone connected to CD6006 with USB so maybe the DAC is the weak link but for movies etc. the sound is very clear. But maybe it is psychological, I do not know. Headphone Jack is also worse than 6006 but better than the crappy MCR-612.
I connected the devices (Apple TV, BD Player, etc.) directly to the TV and connected only HDMI out+eArc of the NR1200 to the TV. Switching sources from the amp adds no value, is slower and uglier.

I see it as a solution for small apartments honestly and/or for people who want a solution between mass-market all-in-ones and hifi/home theater gear. In that sense, it was perfect for me.

OP
Hotwetrat

Hotwetrat

AVa.jpg

saint_louis_bagels

I bought the NR1200 and the price has jumped by the time (in France). I also wondered why NR1510/1 ou NR1710/1 were about the same price or even now sometimes sold for less. But now it is too late…
It is not that a big deal since I will never use more than a stereo setup and I some day I upgrade to more than 2.0 there will be a lot newer models and I would buy a full size AVR.

What is sure is that the slim design is perfect for me and the device is really practical and almost all-in-one (it just lacks a CD player). The HDMI (e)Arc is really convenient since it starts the amp as soon as you start your TV. With HEOS and Airplay, you have all the sources you need.

I see it as a solution for small apartments honestly and/or for people who want a solution between mass-market all-in-ones and hifi/home theater gear. In that sense, it was perfect for me.

Awesome, this was all exactly what I wanted to see. HDMI (e)ARC and network streaming are both killer features in a home theater setup, I wish it was included in all integrated amplifiers instead of just the huge receivers that take up too much space and have several channels on audio that I'll never use.
I think I'm leaning towards the NR1200 'cause I feel like the audio quality of their dedicated stereo receiver will be better than NR1510. Plus I've never had any issues of hearing dialogue in any proper stereo setups, so it's extremely unlikely I'd ever want to add a center channel in the future.

Blew

The most frustrating aspect of the NR1200 is the lack of a true crossover between the sub output and main speakers. There is a cutoff setting for the sub but nothing for the main speakers. Being AVRs, the NR1510, NR1710, and NR1711 all have this feature. Oddly enough, so does the M-CR612 integrated CD unit, which you'd expect to have fewer crossover frequency features than the NR1200 dedicated receiver, not more! A sad miss by Marantz as it makes this unit much less useful for 2.1/2.2 configurations.

Phidel

The most frustrating aspect of the NR1200 is the lack of a true crossover between the sub output and main speakers. There is a cutoff setting for the sub but nothing for the main speakers. Being AVRs, the NR1510, NR1710, and NR1711 all have this feature. Oddly enough, so does the M-CR612 integrated CD unit, which you'd expect to have fewer crossover frequency features than the NR1200 dedicated receiver, not more! A sad miss by Marantz as it makes this unit much less useful for 2.1/2.2 configurations.

Can it be fixed by this?:

TonyB

No, I don't think so. The NR1200 already has a sub out, so the issue is that there's no high pass filter for the main speakers. They would still play the full frequency range including bass, whilst also sending bass to a sub. Very messy. This is from the manual - you can set the low pass frequency but not the high:

Phidel

No, I don't think so. The NR1200 already has a sub out, so the issue is that there's no high pass filter for the main speakers. They would still play the full frequency range including bass, whilst also sending bass to a sub. Very messy. This is from the manual - you can set the low pass frequency but not the high:

That's pathetic for a product like this... I'm thinking to return it, what is the best option for a 2.1 system connected via HDMI arc? I'm thinking in the Powenode or Denon S970H.

GiBo61

That's pathetic for a product like this... I'm thinking to return it, what is the best option for a 2.1 system connected via HDMI arc? I'm thinking in the Powenode or Denon S970H.
I do not think many 2.1 amplifier in this range of price have an high pass filter (maybe some multichannel video receiver).

TonyB

Indeed. I've just checked the Powernode, Audiolab Omnia, Cambridge Audio EVO 150 and some of the NADs, but none seem to do it. An AVR is probably the best bet.

Phidel

Indeed. I've just checked the Powernode, Audiolab Omnia, Cambridge Audio EVO 150 and some of the NADs, but none seem to do it. An AVR is probably the best bet.

Denon 970H then?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With a electronic filter you anyhow have to add the acoustic slope of the main speakers. If you have 12/24 filter of the AVR the filter needs to comply with a 12 dB slope of the mains (sealed box) to get 24 dB on both HP and LP.

If the filter is 24 dB/octave of the mains with vented box you can only add the sub working range to comply with the slope of a vented box. I can’t see the slope of the NR1200 filter but my guess is 24 dB/octave.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As noted you need to adjust cross-over frequency to fit the speakers in use. The THX cross-over is 12/24 dB/octave and thus need to e adapted to a sealed box 12 dB/octave slope to get a final 24 dB on both sub and mains.

TonyB

Top Bottom