• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac debut bookshelf vs tower

gelv

Hi
I have been looking to update my hometheater as my system is starting to bug out. I have been researching elac dbr62 which seems to be appreciated in this forum But I have also been considering the floorstanding versions dfr52
I am aware there are no lab measurements for the dfr52 but my question is which one would be the easier to drive? My avr will be denon x3700h. I will be using a 5 piece setup with a subwoofer or two
alternative 1
Dbr62 fronts with surround with a Debut or unifi center or similar power hungry center unit
Dfr52 front with dbr62 surround with a debut or unifi center or similar center unit
Thank you

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
According to Elac's specs, which you can find directly on the speakers' product page, the two are almost identical in impedance and sensitivity.

OP
G

gelv

Thank you for the comment. According the review by amir the dbr62 requires high current from amp. I have read on other forums that mainstream avr are not enough. Would a denon be able to power all a surround setup with the debut line?
Im also planning to add four heights later for atmos

Reason i dont go by the manufacturers specs is that many times when reviewed here the products show a different sensitivity than the one provided in the specs by the manufacturer. But do towers always demand less power than bhookshelves? Or do They always have higher sensitivity?
I should mention im still a beginner with all this lol

staticV3

Master Contributor
You cannot generalize these things.

Would a denon be able to power all a surround setup with the debut line?
Not all Denon AVRs have the same output capabilities. It depends on the model.

But do towers always demand less power than bookshelves?
Towers do not always demand less power than bookshelves. It depends on the model.

Or do They always have higher sensitivity?
Towers do not always have higher sensitivity than bookshelves. It depends on the model.

OP
G

gelv

My mistake i forgot to add the model lol
Its denon x3700h

Triliza

Forum Donor
I am not sure which will be the best choice, but you should take into account the price difference. Since you'll be using subs, it may be better to get the dbr62 and spend the difference on good subs. Or even buy a power amp (something like Hypex Ncore NC252MP) to drive the front speakers, if you listen on high levels.. Or to buy a Dirac license (for the subs), if that Denon model supports it.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Good suggestions

I think either choice will give you a performant system

Amir commented in his review of the JBL Studio 590 'tower' loudspeaker....

'I have talked in the past about how tower speakers project an image that is impressively large and not replicable with smaller bookshelf speakers. They do this by being tall but also with playing deep with authority.'

As I understand it, the Denon X3700H is not compatible with Dirac Live but is compatible with Audyssey's MultEQ Editor app and MultEQ-X app

OP
G

gelv

I should also add that i am sitting around 3 to 4 meters from the screen in a middle sized livingroom around 403 sq ft. But Im sitting at one side on the length not in the center.
I havent measured with a calibrated spl but on mobile apps i am measuring around 75 to 82 db listening volume. Maximum 85. But the app could be wrong could be higher but i doubt higher than 90db as i am a little sensitive to very loud volumes.
I listen to classical music but mostly use the home theater for streaming movies tv shows or playing games. When i listen to music its mostly on youtube where i listen to trance pop classical music or howard shore John Williams.

I am using the multieq app but its not giving me the results i want since i cant put many pins close to each others. Another problem is that i cant change the built in shelf for the left most or the right most pin? Doesnt help to change the speaker crossover or size in the app. Ratbudyssey has not been much help since its crashing on pc when i load up an imported file?

I already have a subwoofer that gives me the low end i need but i might add another subwoofer in the future har i have in another room. But its not something that i prioritize since the subwoofer i have today is giving me what i need.
I also want to add that i prefer bookshelves because the price but i am afraid they demand too much from my denon x3700h as i will be using 4x bookshelves dbr62 with 1 center

Last edited:
OP
G

gelv

Does Anyone have experience with driving these products from a denon x3700h? How is the volume? Heat issues?

OP
G

gelv

Hypothetically what would the difference be in sound or performance or distorsion or resonansen between a bookshelf vs tower in the same product line?
I read r7 would likely sound more dark than r3. Can you draw the same conclusion regarding dbr62 vs dfr52?

falcon238

I have the x3700h and ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers and the 3700 will run them all day long without breaking a sweat. My living room is 15x17 and I run the 5.2 pair in the rear as well. My centre channel is an older klipsch rc52 that is clear as a bell after 10 years, but of course that's running movies/TV. I bought the 3700 because it has the best balance of features for the money, IMHO. I first started with a pre/pro type setup using a 5 channel amp but found through experimentation that it simply was not needed to run a bookshelf system with a sub in my living room.

Listening to music, I run in direct mode, and the bass from the Elac's is impressive for the size. For movies/tv I turn on the subwoofer, but that is a personal preference. I did try a set of the 5.2 towers but found I just liked the sound of the bookshelves more. I have had no problems with heat or flat spots in the power delivery whatsoever. I have used CD, Phono, HEOS, and streaming of all kinds and overall I am very happy with what the ELAC's and the Denon deliver for the price point. Audisey and the entire setup menu could be better, but that is my only gripe.

Having said that, the reference ELAC's are nice, but up here in Canada they are more than twice the price of the regular Debut line and I did not think they sounded twice as good. YMMV. I have run many different speakers in my life long journey and i personally feel the Elac speakers punch far above the price point asked.

If I am in the mood just to do some critical listening, then I will fire up the Maggies in the listening room on a higher end system.

Top Bottom