• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier R2850DB Review (Opinion)

OP
O

ozzy9832001

@ozzy9832001 Could you please share some in-room measurements?
response.jpg

This is my current in room response. Green line is with VAR smoothing applied and the orange is with 1/12 smoothing. The erratic behavior from 500-70hz is from desk reflections and right side wall.

The bass may look a bit bloated, but that's by design. Subwoofer Xover is set for 110hz. Overall, very happy with the system.

SivKiv

View attachment 315592
This is my current in room response. Green line is with VAR smoothing applied and the orange is with 1/12 smoothing. The erratic behavior from 500-70hz is from desk reflections and right side wall.

The bass may look a bit bloated, but that's by design. Subwoofer Xover is set for 110hz. Overall, very happy with the system.
I'm not good at reading in room measurements, but it doesn't look bad at least.

regan

Edifier makes great value budget speakers. Bought the 2750db for $100 used and they sound really really great for the money. Also no dac or amp needed, remote control and bt included.

malone-m

View attachment 315592

It's with sub or without?

DSJR

Major Contributor
I found this - I should say I pinched it from here -

1696067599858.png

Being long term steeped in 'BBC Boxes' the midrange dip wouldn't be an issue, but the nearly twelve dB rise from upper hundreds to 5kHz or so could be painful, even for me :D if the basics are clean sounding enough, not difficult to eq I'd have thought, especially the tweeter which may become 'quieter' on idle with a series resistor to it? (I'm guessing here)

OP
O

ozzy9832001

I found this - I should say I pinched it from here -

View attachment 315623

Being long term steeped in 'BBC Boxes' the midrange dip wouldn't be an issue, but the nearly twelve dB rise from upper hundreds to 5kHz or so could be painful, even for me :D if the basics are clean sounding enough, not difficult to eq I'd have thought, especially the tweeter which may become 'quieter' on idle with a series resistor to it? (I'm guessing here)
I wonder if they have the tone controls enabled, because the treble knob controls from 5K+.

If it's at 0, then knocking it down the -6dB that it goes to would yield an almost flat response. Though I don't know what smoothing is used for the graph.

malone-m

I wonder if they have the tone controls enabled, because the treble knob controls from 5K+.

If it's at 0, then knocking it down the -6dB that it goes to would yield an almost flat response. Though I don't know what smoothing is used for the graph.
I'm sure that controls were at 0. This graph is from old model R2800, it has somewhat jagged and "V" shaped response.

Attachments

• photo_2023-10-01_15-17-49.jpg
    photo_2023-10-01_15-17-49.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 74

malone-m

There seem to be at least two revisions of these speakers. According to the videos below, there are differences in the placement of the protective fabric in the BR port and the model number of the woofer. So there *could* also theoretically be some differences in overall tuning/tonality.

Spanky

HOW ARE THEY FOR TV SPEAKERS ? FOR MOVIES ? DO THEY NEED A SUBWOOFER ? what kind of subwoofer and size do not want to overkill the speakers.... looking for a 2:1 set up for my TV....thx

Last edited:

Spanky

Hey guys,

I recently picked up these speakers off e-bay to replace my Kanto YU6 speakers. I was always a bit disappointed with them even though they seemed to get decent reviews.

The 2850DB seem to lack a lot of information and the only reviews I could find about them were just videos on you tube. They were released in the US in 2021.

These speakers are on the larger size for "book shelf" speakers and really seem to push the boundaries of what a bookshelf can be. They measure at 18"Hx10"Wx12D. Each speaker weighs approx. 23.5lbs.

View attachment 296659

an active design and come with a wide array of inputs for all your needs. 2xRCA, 1xOptical (Toslink), Coax and Bluetooth 5) and 1xSubwoofer OUT. The speaker cable bridging the active right unit to left is attached on the right speaker and an XLR connection on the left. The cable length is approx. 8ft long. Unit comes with a remote control with very basic functionality (Power, mute, volume, track advance/back/play, input select, mute and bluetooth toggle). Unit has a SUB OUT for further bass extension. The speakers come with all cables to hook up your devices except for COAX. The RCA Cable is both RCA to RCA and RCA to 3.5mm (nice touch). The remote is powered by one CR2032 battery (included).

As for the speakers themselves they are made of some form of MDF, though they certainly do not feel cheap.

Side of the speaker:
View attachment 296667
Speaker has volume control and DRC - +/-6dB Bass/Treble. ON/OFF switch on back of unit.

As for the front:

View attachment 296666

Speaker is a ported design with an 8" woofer, 4" mid range and 3/4 tweeter. The unit comes with removable grills to give them a sleek and classic look.

As far as tonality is concerned the speakers are flat. Really flat. A slight brightness to the upper mid range, but it's not harsh or shrill. The bass is extremely well balanced and warm. It's tight. Not boomy or boxy and can stand out without being overpowering. Listening to some crazy metal bass songs was highly enjoyable and offered a great experience that you typically don't see in a speaker in this price range.

The speakers frequency response is: 42hz - 20khz

It is important even with the 8" woofer that Edifier included a subwoofer out. The connection is 3.5mm. The speakers come with a 3.5mm to RCA cable. It is short. Real short. About 4' if that. You'll probably need a longer one.

The subwoofer port is hard set to a cross over of 100hz at a slope of 24dB/OCT. To me, I like the slightly higher than THX crossover. I also like how it slopes off and allows the sub to really handle the low end. Blending is natural and effortless.

Overall, these speakers are tight. They are a great addition to an office workspace or someone looking for a bigger speaker but not willing to pay the really high cost. Bass is warm, detailed but not overpowered. Mids and treble are bright but not shrill and fatiguing. Out of the box they sounded great and that is a good sign for when my ears burn in to the speakers.

I cannot for the life of me understand why these speakers aren't talked about more or why reviews are so scarce.

Retail cost is: $449 on Amazon. I sold my Kanto YU6 + SUB 6 to recoup some of the price. Well worth it.
How would these speakers plus the sub be for movies / sports / everyday TV....very curious if anyone could please confirm they are worth using as TV speakers 2:1

Spanky

I had no idea they even made these. A modern take on the classic 3-way bookshelf.

How is the grille frame constructed? What about noise levels?

I imagine that given their presumably wide dispersion, the room should be a little less lively than shown here, although the photo illustrates their scale and typical application quite nicely:
0e23d144c892a62c3496bf30411dcec8.png

No way, their 3-ways are easily twice as expensive. You can just about get some 8" 2-ways for what the R2850DBs cost, and that's only if they're not on sale (lowest price I can find here right now is ~320€, occasionally they'll apparently go down to 250ish). Obviously making them a system with an active and a passive speaker already saves a good bit of cost. Their main competition is likely to be the ubiquitous 6,5" active 2-ways that everyone and their dog is selling these days.

At 45 wpc for the woofers, I can't imagine they'll be going super-duper loud... assuming 88 dB / W / m, it would be about 104 dB SPL. Certainly HiFi-worthy though, just not for those craving live concert levels. Should be just fine for most people.
do you think these would be good for TV movies etc. plus a sub ?

Spanky

8" woofer.

3 way principle is the same as a subwoofer. Who needs a sub if the speakers already handle 95% of human hearing or we cross over past what the speakers already can handle. Frequency response is part of it for sure, but freeing the woofer up from the lowest frequency improves its performance.

The only issue is how they are crossed over and whether all 3 drivers are in phase. I've seen good 3 way implementation and awful ones. This speaker is one of the good ones.

My goal was just to shed some light on what I felt was a great sounding and affordable pair of bookshelf speakers that will be a good introduction to quality sounding music and movies.
so movies sound good with these plus a sub ?

Top Bottom