• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier R1280T Powered Speaker Review

Maiky76

@Maiky76, have you performed EQ corrections for other speakers? Is there an archive of them anywhere?

Or is your Matlab tool designed to take Amir's data and perform a correction a la AutoEq?

Hi,

The tool just takes the raw data and spits all the directivity analysis, not the EQ.
The point is also to enable people to perform their own measurements and extract the Spinorama with minimal change to the code (loading the data).

If you go through the threads for each speaker you'll see the EQ I proposed but I don't have a library.
I am not planing on releasing the EQ bit but I might release the Score calculator.
If you have a particular speaker in mind (and the relevant data on hands, spinorama) I might help you.

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I received a response from Edifier regarding the EQ knobs on the R1280T:

Bass = +/- 9 dB @ 160 Hz
Treble = +/- 9 dB @ 4.6 KHz

Just a casual guess that these frequencies were chosen to reduce reflections if placed on a hard surface (160 Hz) and to adjust the resonance Amir noted (4.6 KHz).

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I received a response from Edifier regarding the EQ knobs on the R1280T:

Bass = +/- 9 dB @ 160 Hz
Treble = +/- 9 dB @ 4.6 KHz

Just a casual guess that these frequencies were chosen to reduce reflections if placed on a hard surface (160 Hz) and to adjust the resonance Amir noted (4.6 KHz).

Perhaps, but I would have expected them to be shelf filters rather than bell filters, with the frequencies given being the respective knee frequencies.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Perhaps, but I would have expected them to be shelf filters rather than bell filters, with the frequencies given being the respective knee frequencies.
That could be the case given the graph Maiky76 posted:

index.php

I asked about Q factor but no luck.

fairx

View attachment 87290

View attachment 87291

I got my R1700Bt and using crude spl app (on my phone, reliable only up to 4khz) I found that the dip did not quite the same as above pic. Obviously my room and speaker placement if different

made me wanna buy the minidsp mic for REW but combine with import price would be the same as what I paid for my speaker.

or maybe there's cheaper alternative (mic) I can get easily on the market (aliexpress or something)

this is what I appllied so far

eq.jpg

its really kinda shot in the (not so) dark but made quite an impression to the sound.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
or maybe there's cheaper alternative (mic) I can get easily on the market (aliexpress or something)
I'll be trying the Dayton iMM-6 with REW and Equalizer APO as soon as my adapter arrives. Costs around $20 and comes with a link to download a calibration file for the specific microphone you receive.

A while back I was tasked with taking some long-term SPL measurements on a budget and read several studies that found the mics built into iPhones were as accurate as most measurement mics, even expensive ones. That may or may not be as true for frequency calibration, although my understanding is that most of the contemporary iOS measurement apps now have compensation curves built in for each model of phone. I moved to the iMM-6 solely because I discovered the iPhone mic had a hard dB limit somewhere between 115-120 dB and I needed to measure higher SPL.

fairx

I'll be trying the Dayton iMM-6 with REW and Equalizer APO as soon as my adapter arrives. Costs around $20 and comes with a link to download a calibration file for the specific microphone you receive.

A while back I was tasked with taking some long-term SPL measurements on a budget and read several studies that found the mics built into iPhones were as accurate as most measurement mics, even expensive ones. That may or may not be as true for frequency calibration, although my understanding is that most of the contemporary iOS measurement apps now have compensation curves built in for each model of phone. I moved to the iMM-6 solely because I discovered the iPhone mic had a hard dB limit somewhere between 115-120 dB and I needed to measure higher SPL.
a good info indeed. thank you very much. I will look into dayton mic

looking forward to your report soon!

Kyourai

I'm new to the speaker thingy as I have been using headphones for games only and got the Edifiers because a couple of people recommended it, so far I like them but I've been reading this thread and even tho I don't understand anything in those graphs looks like they can be improved with an equalizer, is there a noob friendly way to do it? If they can be improved then that'll make me more than happy, just passing by your average consumer here :)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm new to the speaker thingy as I have been using headphones for games only and got the Edifiers because a couple of people recommended it, so far I like them but I've been reading this thread and even tho I don't understand anything in those graphs looks like they can be improved with an equalizer, is there a noob friendly way to do it? If they can be improved then that'll make me more than happy, just passing by your average consumer here :)

Yeh there likely is. Is your source a PC?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor

Kyourai

I did everything I've been told above Was kinda lost with the PEACE program as did not find the import thing for like one minute.

I'll be using that for now on, thank you.

Kyourai

Actually, the EQ we used with my friend was Maiky76's and it sounded superb.
So Kyourai can try both and choose what he likes the best.

Thank you for your suggestions, really appreciated. As for @Maiky76 option (Both come form the same person if I'm not mistaken), no idea how to use it, I only see graphs D:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your suggestions, really appreciated. As for @Maiky76 option (Both come form the same person if I'm not mistaken), no idea how to use it, I only see graphs D:
You only need to copy/paste the .txt file you're using and replace the EQ settings in the new file by these:

Type Freq Gain Q
PEQ 95.5, -3.50, 2.72
PEQ 168.5, -1.00, 1.45
PEQ 1167.0, -3.50, 4.25
PEQ 1550.0, -3.40, 2.57
PEQ 2086.0, 1.71, 3.37
PEQ 3371.0, -1.71, 2.62
PEQ 4718.0, -5.80, 3.88
PEQ 7704.0, -4.12, 2.98
PEQ 10002.0, -3.16, 2.00
PEQ 12017.0, -0.71, 3.00
PEQ 16397.0, 3.50, 3.49

Maiky76

Hi,

I just implemented a routine to automatically export the EQ I design as APO/Peace config file.

I suggest you use Peace on top of EQ APO:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

You just need to import the file as @sweetchaos (thanks for pointing the info) shows here :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-community-project.14929/page-14#post-536526

I have attached a the config file to import.
Note that there is an automatically generated Preamp gain that is based on the actual peak gain of the EQ rounded up for a tiny bit of headroom.

Attachments

• Edifier R1280T APO EQ.txt
    579 bytes · Views: 1,802
  • Edifier R1280T EQ design.png
    Edifier R1280T EQ design.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 995

Kyourai

Hi,

I just implemented a routine to automatically export the EQ I design as APO/Peace config file.

I suggest you use Peace on top of EQ APO:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

You just need to import the file as @sweetchaos (thanks for pointing the info) shows here :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-community-project.14929/page-14#post-536526

I have attached a the config file to import.
Note that there is an automatically generated Preamp gain that is based on the actual peak gain of the EQ rounded up for a tiny bit of headroom.

Woah thank you, been sampling both of them and the audio feels quite diffetent, didn't expect to "squish" more performance of my speakers, thanks to all of you for the support.

Top Bottom