• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier R1280T Powered Speaker Review

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
If anyone is curious about Edifier's lineup...
I've combined the current Edifier.com site (sorted by low-high price) (with pricing shown) together with amazon.com's # of reviews.
Enjoy!
1601263404394.png

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir. This is great.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On a similar note, Edifier released an alternate version (on May 2020) to these, called R1280Ts (notice the s at the end), which includes a subwoofer out. Price is the same at US$100.
Thanks for pointing that out. What's nice is that it's not just a dummy line level out, based on what it states on Edifier's website:

When connected the sub-out automatically detects the subwoofer and activates the digital crossover.

This to me hints at a DSP, but then others mentioned earlier in this thread that there is no DSP in this entry level Edifier?

Also:
Soundfield Spacializer

Soundfield Spatializer simulates a larger soundstage with the touch of a button. This unique feature creates wide-filed sound by optimizing each channel, sending out opposite signals to eliminate mutual interference and improve separation.
So again, it sounds like maybe they've added DSP to R1280Ts. Spacializer gimmicks aside, curious to know what impact the addition of DSP has on overall sound quality.

Also, the R1280Ts has an updated remote.

Last edited:

escape2

FYI, I was able to confirm with Edifier that while the subwoofer line out on the R1280Ts sends full frequency signal out to the sub, the internal crossover does cut the low end at 70 Hz going to the speakers.

escape2

Then again, looking at Amir's freq response curve, these speakers take a deep dive starting at around 70 Hz, so I'm not sure that applying a 70 Hz high pass filter is going to do much good, but maybe it'd help offload the internal amp a little?

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
High-pass filters are the easiest way to free up headroom and reduce transducer distortion no matter where you do it. Very common mixing and mastering technique for everything but classical where you might hope to see fundamental frequencies down into the 20s on pianos, pipe organs, concert bass drums, cannons, etc.

Makes sense for a budget speaker to filter out what it can't reproduce.

Alex302

Thanks for review. Good speakers. I wanted to buy them, but my choice fell on R2730DB - 3-Way Tri-amp (it would be great to see review of these speakers:) )

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks for review. Good speakers. I wanted to buy them, but my choice fell on R2730DB - 3-Way Tri-amp (it would be great to see review of these speakers:) )
Interesting that it's not available here in Canada or in USA. :oops:

Wow, that's one large 3-way speaker (29.2 x 21.8 x 39.2 cm), compared to 2-way Edifier R1280T reviewed (14.6cm x 23.4cm x 19.6cm).
That's 272% larger in overall dimensions. :eek:
1601671292635.png

The driver includes a 6½ inch (178 mm) bass unit, a 4” (116 mm) mid driver and a 19 mm silk dome tweeter.
Usually priced at $199euro = $233usd...decent price for a 3 way.

Last edited:

Alex302

Interesting that it's not available here in Canada or in USA. :oops:

Wow, that's one large speaker (29.2 x 21.8 x 39.2 cm), compared to Edifier R1280T reviewed (14.6cm x 23.4cm x 19.6cm).
That's 272% larger in overall dimensions. :eek:
But they have 178 mm low-frequency driver:) I replaced old Jetbalance 381 on my table. At first I thought that they would not fit, but everything is ok.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Usually priced at $199euro = $233usd...decent price for a 3 way.
Just as an aside, writing "$199euro" makes zero sense whatsoever. It's either 199 € or 199 EUR. Amounts in EUR require a dollar sign as much as those in GBP or in yen, which is to say not at all.
Likewise, "$233usd" is about as redundant as an LCD Display - it's either $233 US (if you need to clarify) or 233 USD, or maybe US$233 if you insist.

Shadow12347

Forum Donor
Do you like it better than Amir's simplier EQ?

Sorry, I was busy finishing up some final preparation for, and going on vacation. I would say this EQ is very subjectively (and I guess objectively?) neutral. I would say Amir's seems to fix the most glaring issues, although some still are present. That said, I tend to listen to more bass heavy genres overall, and so the bass is more appealing to me on Amir's since it doesn't touch it as much. The rest of the FR seems more preferable to me on this one though. I'll likely end up tweaking this EQ so it doesn't attenuate the bass as much which will likely bring it closer to my preferences. Those with a more neutral preference will likely find it fantastic as is. I was unable to EQ it successfully myself before which kinda made me give up on the speakers, but in the short time I had after applying this EQ, it made me happy that I had them. They definitely won't be replacing my KRK's at home as I feel they are just able to do far more, but on this EQ the Edifiers are quite good, especially considering they are 3x less than I paid for my KRK's.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Are the bass and treble EQ dials on the speaker useful for getting closer to neutral? Most of the target market is likely going to be limited to using these controls.
Just wanted to give my EQ question a bump. I dug up the R1280T manual and it has no description of what the EQ does--no frequencies, no dB levels, no curves. I was hoping the review would cover this and that we might draw some conclusions about how useful it would be in correcting deficiencies.

AdrianG

What do you guys think about placing them horizontally? Are there any consequences?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yesterday I went to my mate, set the pair of Edifier R1280T he had just received, and took a listen.
Then I installed EqualizerAPO on his PC and set the 11 PEQ @Maiky76 suggested, and took another listen.

Without EQ, the sound was bright. Not in an annoying way, but clearly unnatural.
With EQ, it sounded good!

For very short budgets (80 €) and the will to use EQ I would recommend those speakers without hesitation. Not in the same league as Focal Aria 906 or ELAC DBR62, but close to JBL 305p mk2.

fairx

Any opinion about R1280T EQed vs R1700BT?. There's a sale and I'm eyeing R1700BT .

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
@Maiky76, have you performed EQ corrections for other speakers? Is there an archive of them anywhere?

Or is your Matlab tool designed to take Amir's data and perform a correction a la AutoEq?

fairx

Just bought R1700BT for 82USD. I saw a few measurement online

unnamed.jpg

edifier-r1700bt-measurements.jpg

both FR are from here and here <- (thanks)

The FR aligned with what I heard from online demo. kinda U sound with OK mids

and here's the effect of Treble / Bass knob on the FR. When both are tuned to lowest and EQ the dip in 1-2k, it looks promising to me.
Will received the speaker in 2-3 days and then we'll see. Won't held my breath on how it sounds just replacing my 15 years old Altec speaker for youtube / streaming .

f1700bt.jpg

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
and here's the effect of Treble / Bass knob on the FR. When both are tuned to lowest and EQ the dip in 1-2k, it looks promising to me.
Much appreciated. Looks like the bass and treble knobs might be set to 100 Hz and 10 KHz +/- 6 dB.

Top Bottom