• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
amirm, Your PC HF noise isn't AC main 60Hz, there are from hundreds kHz and up to hundreds MHz, and 1uF at such frequencies is shorter than your USB cable(any 1uf MLCC has 10mOhm of ESR typically and 1-10MHz simply shorted by 1uF to the AP chassis, hence, to its GND wire, next few meters to your PC GND, and returns with USB cable back). Do you understand what advantages balanced inputs offer? What is the reason to switch from balanced XLR inputs to unbalanced BNC when you testing unbalanced DACs outputs? I offered a simple test a few days ago, try a battery-powered source to isolate your ground loop noise and see what AP will show. Just to make sure that your setup isn't correct.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So what cable did you built yourself to do so? I can think of a normal balanced cable with XLR male on one side, on the other side TS or RCA. Phase/Tip is connected to XLR pin 2(+), Ground to XLR pin 3 (-), and the shield is only connected to XLR pin 1, but not to the TS/RCA in any way. Right? Or is it the other way round, with shield and Ground shorted and connected to TS/RCA but not to pin 1 of the XLR?

Veri

Master Contributor
On the one hand I know atomicbob guy on SBAF also measures using XLR inputs of the ADC using well shielded balanced-unbalanced cables. On the other hand I assume Amir uses the unbalanced-unbalanced connection to measure a more 'realistic' real-world connection of an unbalanced device connected over RCAs. If Amir has always measured that way, comparisons are fair; to now change the set-up to give a slight advantage and cleaner display of the unbalanced output will make comparisons to other devices more of an apples to oranges comparison, no?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
On the one hand I know atomicbob guy on SBAF also measures using XLR inputs of the ADC using well shielded balanced-unbalanced cables. On the other hand I assume Amir uses the unbalanced-unbalanced connection to measure a more 'realistic' real-world connection of an unbalanced device connected over RCAs. If Amir has always measured that way, comparisons are fair; to now change the set-up to give a slight advantage and cleaner display of the unbalanced output will make comparisons to other devices more of an apples to oranges comparison, no?

The point is that this is a headphone output. Not intended to be connected to anything other than a floating, earth-free headphone. Leakage currents etc that are caused by the measurement setup and influence the measurement result therefore do not represent the results from typical use cases.

IVX

Major Contributor
If Amir has always measured that way, comparisons are fair
sure, if you use a DAC when lay in a grounded tub full of water, you have a slightly similar GND loop. Normally, you are well isolated from the GND, and doesn't matter grounded PC in use or battery-powered Android. Hence, the most realistic method of measurement is isolated USB source, or isolated AP, or correctly grounded entire setup. As a criterion of how far your AP+DUT setup from an ideal, you can compare that with a battery-powered USB source(Android) as a nearly ideal sample. Using the unbalanced input without isolation is the worst case ever.

Veri

Master Contributor
The point is that this is a headphone output. Not intended to be connected to anything other than a floating, earth-free headphone. Leakage currents etc that are caused by the measurement setup and influence the measurement result therefore do not represent the results from typical use cases.
That is a good point. A differentiation could be made between that, and simple line-out as currently measured.

staticV3

Master Contributor

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
MC_RME, my cables usually are XLR2crocodile_clip style.

Come on Ivan, you can do better! Tell us interested readers how you handle ground in the transition from SE to Bal (I even gave specific examples).

IVX

Major Contributor
MC_RME, I'm serious, pure lab-style, look at my rig:
WeChat Image_20210324223112.jpg

capslock

Interesting link, thanks!
- with isolator, all harmonics, even and odd, are well below the noise level we see without the isolator
- only the even harmonics seem to "float" on the added noise. HD2 peak is only half as high above noise as with isolator. HD4 go from not there or barely there to impressive peaks.

Why is that? RF rectification? Wouldn't that favor the odd harmonics?

staticV3

Master Contributor
@IVX I think MC_RME was disappointed you didn't give them exact information on how you connect single-ended DAC/Amps to the XLR inputs of your analyzer.

capslock

Ivan, so in your own measurements and looking at typical performance, does the 9038D or the 9038SG3 do better on harmonics?

Sorry to ask this again. I think it got overlooked in the discussion of AP grounding.

IVX

Major Contributor
Ivan, so in your own measurements and looking at typical performance, does the 9038D or the 9038SG3 do better on harmonics?
about the same but 9038D has a lower current + opa1622 has higher loop-gein, so it has less load/unload harmonics difference. The best samples have -135db 2nd and 3rd, worst about -123db. If I see really low-performance unit I offer it for a lower price on my Aliexpress shop(need to ask Sunny about such units for -30-50% discount). Also, I have some mistaken laser engraved units, they are 100.0% fine but I was sleepy and made like this:
WeChat Image_20210324234721.jpg

Top Bottom