• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch&Dutch are looking for Ears

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Dutch&Dutch are looking for volunteers to participate in a new project, absolutely no point in you lot applying as it is well known ASR members are,
deaf, envious, cheapskates.

Keith

Willem

Major Contributor
If I understand it correctly, the idea is to develop a simple means to equalize the speakers for the imperfections of listeners' hearing. If I am right, this seems like a nice idea, but only for solo listening.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That seems to me totally wrong. Regardless of my hearing capabilities, what I hear is natural to me. If I hear a real instrument, it sounds like what it sounds like. If I then hear that same instrument through those 'speakers, corrected, it won't sound the same as hearing it for real. It might feel better, but better isn't High Fidelity.

S

jhwalker

That seems to me totally wrong. Regardless of my hearing capabilities, what I hear is natural to me. If I hear a real instrument, it sounds like what it sounds like. If I then hear that same instrument through those 'speakers, corrected, it won't sound the same as hearing it for real. It might feel better, but better isn't High Fidelity.

S
Not sure I agree.

"Why should I wear glasses? That's just the way I see things. If I were suddenly to see things much more sharply, it might feel better, but it isn't HD."

I think this is a logical extension to EQ / room correction; i.e., measuring directly at your ears and compensating for your own HRT and (presumably) any deficiencies (to a point).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

S
It wouldn't be high fidelity if they could give me back my 18 yo hearing acuity? Oh, missed the "S".

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure I agree.

"Why should I wear glasses? That's just the way I see things. If I were suddenly to see things much more sharply, it might feel better, but it isn't HD."

I think this is a logical extension to EQ / room correction; i.e., measuring directly at your ears and compensating for your own HRT and (presumably) any deficiencies (to a point).
It's not quite the same. I wear glasses for reading, as without them, I couldn't read at all. I would have no objection to what D&D are proposing if they offered a custom pair of hearing aids so ALL sounds were corrected, not just those coming from the loudspeakers when playing music, leaving the rest of the world uncorrected.

I have the same objection to room correction, as it only corrects the sounds from the loudspeakers not all the other everyday sounds which are still subject to all the errors in the room.

S

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think if your mini DSP or whatever has multiple presets, it might be interesting to have one that corrected your hearing loss. Probably only useful for solo listening. I think I am going to try that myself.

They are only looking for 8c owners.

Last edited:

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Not sure how that could even work unless you're that fortunate person with the same hearing deficiency in both ears. Which, according to my audiologist, places you in a distinct minority. My left ear is some 15dB worse than my right at some frequencies. I've played with just changing left/right levels, and that doesn't work, just moves the images around. Don't have the ability to EQ individual channels, but since both ears hear both speakers, I'd be really curious what they're up to. Not to mention other folks in the room.

Now for headphones...

Curvature

Major Contributor

S
Lots of people have hearing damage or other issues. Those things benefit from intervention.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have to already have a pair of 8c, so it's self investment for the benefit of the manufacturer. You got me, I read it as if this is a great opportunities of free stuff or free experience.

slaweks

Forum Donor
Not sure how that could even work unless you're that fortunate person with the same hearing deficiency in both ears. Which, according to my audiologist, places you in a distinct minority. My left ear is some 15dB worse than my right at some frequencies. I've played with just changing left/right levels, and that doesn't work, just moves the images around. Don't have the ability to EQ individual channels, but since both ears hear both speakers, I'd be really curious what they're up to. Not to mention other folks in the room.

Now for headphones...
"but since both ears hear both speakers" - well, consider BACCH :)

Digby

Major Contributor
Are they particularly looking for Dutch ears or will any old pair do?

Top Bottom