• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8c Review

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Isn’t there a local outfit, that could make you something suitable ?
Keith

RustyGates

Yes, a few. I'll ask around if I can't get my hands on the Sound Anchor.

I will have to provide the top plate dimensions and mating arrangement to them, not sure where to get the drawing from, if D&D even provide one. Also stands needs to be rated for 26KG and has to be quite inert.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have never found the guys at D&D to be anything other than super helpful, I would write to them for the dimensions, M5 bolt I believe.
Keith

countbasey

If i buy a single 8c of the old DAC, can i mix that with a newer 8C with the newer dac and turn them into a pair? or are they incompatible?

thanks

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Every 8C is identical to the master reference speaker so you will be fine.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will some kind 8C owner please send a pair to Amir for testing? I really want to see how it stacks up to the Genelec 8361a.
8c has slightly less mids but goes way deeper in the bass.

newplot.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
8361’s are really good and of course their aluminium case is sooo sensual to the touch! @Pearljam5000
Keith

RustyGates

Does anyone get Spotify connect issues with the 8C's? When I switch them on and try play via network the sound is only coming through one speaker and its intermittent.

There is nothing wrong with the network - Ascend app has registered both speakers, I can control them fine from the app and play the test sounds. In-app network test comes back as "excellent".

I've been dealing with software issues since I first set them up. They were shipped to me with FW v2.1 and were incompatible with the latest Android app from Google Play, had to go about with trying to update to 2.4.53 via the internal web app (accessed using the speakers IP), which just kept failing.

After a few hours I finally found out about the Release Management System on port 10000 and went into each speaker and had to incrementally update every FW release from 2.1 -> 2.4.53 for it to work and enable compatibility with the newer app and have streaming capability etc.; couldn't just go from 2.1 to 2.4.53 as it'd fail instead of automatically installing all the in-betweens behind the scenes. Pretty sure that was what the Ascend app was trying to do, hence why it'd keep failing with no prompt as to why.

Now that has been sorted, I get this Spotify issue. The only thing that just works is connecting it to my Tambaqui (analogue) and letting that feed the 8C's!

Yes, I've raised a support request buy honestly, for $22,000 AUD, it's giving me sh*ts that in addition to the firmware fiasco, its glitching on Spotify connect, which my $300 Sonos soundbar does with zero issue (and with Wi-Fi).

tw99

I don't use Spotify much with mine, but haven't had this issue. (I actually don't like using Spotify because I'm never sure what volume setting it'll pick when it connects to the speakers, and volume control from the phone is quite coarse, much prefer using the wired input)

RustyGates

I don't use Spotify much with mine, but haven't had this issue. (I actually don't like using Spotify because I'm never sure what volume setting it'll pick when it connects to the speakers, and volume control from the phone is quite coarse, much prefer using the wired input)

Thats true re. The volume control, but you can also control spotify through Ascend which has finer control and a gain offset. Speakers should just remember previous volume settings. If not, D&D have a lot to do to refine their software.

Spotify is my only streaming service, waiting for Hi-Res to cone out. I dont use / not a fan of (i.e. paying for) Roon and then Tidal or Qobuz on top of that.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thats true re. The volume control, but you can also control spotify through Ascend which has finer control and a gain offset. Speakers should just remember previous volume settings. If not, D&D have a lot to do to refine their software.

Spotify is my only streaming service, waiting for Hi-Res to cone out. I dont use / not a fan of (i.e. paying for) Roon and then Tidal or Qobuz on top of that.
Sorry you are having these issues, I have never used Spotify connect, I have used Roon and both Tidal and Quboz, you have to pay but in comparison to a 22K speaker their cost is pretty insignificant.
Roon is without doubt the best and most stable platform I have used.
Keith

tw99

Oh, I'd never even thought to look in Ascend.... That is indeed a lot better for fine volume control that trying to do it from Spotify.

In Connect mode, even though your inter-speaker connection can be good, the audio stream is coming directly from Spotify's servers to the speakers, so maybe there's some issue with your speakers' access to the internet ? Are they connected in any different way to your soundbar which you say does work ?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to read of the issues with Spotify Connect. I don't use Spotify or Roon at all, but I just upgraded firmware and recalibrated EQ after moving things around in my listening room to get higher XTC with BACCH4Mac.

The early versions of the D&D firmware were mostly fine, but the new firmware and Ascend app are incredible. It also was unbelievably easy to take a few measurements in REW, generate some filters, and load those into the 8Cs.

I couldn't be happier almost six years after I first heard the 8Cs!

RustyGates

Sorry to read of the issues with Spotify Connect. I don't use Spotify or Roon at all, but I just upgraded firmware and recalibrated EQ after moving things around in my listening room to get higher XTC with BACCH4Mac.

The early versions of the D&D firmware were mostly fine, but the new firmware and Ascend app are incredible. It also was unbelievably easy to take a few measurements in REW, generate some filters, and load those into the 8Cs.

I couldn't be happier almost six years after I first heard the 8Cs!

Oh yeah, the newest version of the software is fantastic when it's all updated and running, it's just that when D&D ship their speakers, they got to make sure they actually have FW onboard that is compatible with the newest available app.... no idea why my brand new 8C's came with v2.1!

I was able to fix the whole app/FW update and compatibility issue myself after finding about the RMS in forums, however an issue like this is not what D&D would want to subject to new customers and is not expected of a high-end HiFi company.

@tw99 As for the Spotify issue, after about 40 min of being on, it fixes itself! Maybe it is a connection issue to the Spotify server then? Why is it so hard for the 8C's to connect when my other consumer grade Spotify connect enabled devices do so flawlessly, all on the same network?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Oh yeah, the newest version of the software is fantastic when it's all updated and running, it's just that when D&D ship their speakers, they got to make sure they actually have FW onboard that is compatible with the newest available app.... no idea why my brand new 8C's came with v2.1!

I was able to fix the whole app/FW update and compatibility issue myself after finding about the RMS in forums, however an issue like this is not what D&D would want to subject to new customers and is not expected of a high-end HiFi company.

@tw99 As for the Spotify issue, after about 40 min of being on, it fixes itself! Maybe it is a connection issue to the Spotify server then? Why is it so hard for the 8C's to connect when my other consumer grade Spotify connect enabled devices do so flawlessly, all on the same network?
Your retailer should be installing and optimising the 8Cs.
Keith

Top Bottom