• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dune 2021

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These things only seem to become an issue when a show is badly written, or badly acted, has dire direction etc. What then happens is half the room blames the fact a movie or show is junk on wokeness and diversity hiring, and the other half accuses any one criticizing it as racist, sexist etc. And they're often both completely wrong. When a show is done well it's a non-issue. The Expanse is one of the most diverse shows on TV and I don't recall anyone making an issue of it. The current iteration of Doctor Who on the other hand is badly written and acted drivel yet there's a body of opinion that dismisses any criticism as sexist.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thread Warning: Comments about politics and or with racist overtones will be deleted and the poster will receive immediate Thread Ban.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So why not leave it alone?
I don't buy into follow the fidelity to the original concept. There's interest in heroic, physically capable women today which did not exist previously. In other words, it sells. I also found Demerzel in Foundation to be rather amusing although the series is not on it's way to becoming a classic.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So why not leave it alone?
I described as the "diversity imperative", the politically correct, "woke" need to portray non-White, non-male characters even in roles where the original author's character was those things.

In case of Herbert's Liet Kynes character, it isn't important at all to the story nevertheless, apart from the "diversity imperative", it comes cross as gratuitous.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I saw it at one of the newish Dolby Cinema screens at Odeon Birmingham. Have a good choice round here of IMAX, Isense etc.

Have to say I was super impressed with Dolby Cinema, the picture was much sharper and tons more contrast than IMAX. The sound was incredible, best sound system I've ever heard, Hans Zimmers soundtrack beautifully rendered with every bass note hitting you in the chest. I am sold
I am green with envy. IMAX, Dolby Cinema, wow. The only thing I can do is wait for the BluRay!

symphara

Just came back from the cinema (we managed to get a baby sitter, yay) so here are my hot impressions:

- it's a solid movie, worth watching
- it's quite faithful to the book, which is a relief (I love the book and I read it many times)
- visually stunning, excellent world building
- it's generally well cast and acted
- it's a little cold/remote; perhaps the dream-like delivery they went for (aided by the score), while very effective as spectacle, left me a little bit detached
- the ending is not weird or abrupt or anything, it's a reasonable point to break
- this is a slow movie, which I enjoy but if your taste is more Avengers, this ain't that (even if some scenes have real tension)
- I had impure thoughts involving a crysknife vs the guy to my left, who loudly munched on popcorn during the first half

In any case, I will get the disc and I'm very much looking forward to the next part.

litemotiv

Saw this collage which seems pretty accurate / funny:

Di99dE-WOGEDURoBMPyvDMHczzvft_jE2I8oGhkBuB9RO6nd9Bu5IwwxerwtKOMHUinUWAEg1RTddA=s1080-nd

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you have any [ummm...] consternation about [ummm...] having to wear masks?
I live in LA, traveled to Ireland this summer. Masks are a pain, but I'm over it. And don't want to be breathing other people's cooties anyway. And don't want to share my blessed breath with them anyway, they should be paying for the privilege :D
Besides, there were only like 7.3 people in the whole theater anyway o_O
As for the movie, I quite liked it. The Guild Heighliner was awesomely huge! I like Sting too but thought he looked ridiculous in the Alan Smithee Dune. I think this guy is more like Paul Atreides than the Twin Peaks dude.* And the Baron really feels evil, not cartoonish like the 90s film. I'm glad they are making this with a two-parter, too much stuff in the book.

*a funny comment from a guy who oddly never had a visual image of what Paul looked like. Nevertheless.

Last edited:

symphara

The Guild Heighliner was awesomely huge!
Yes but I would have liked to see some awesome interstellar travel with those things! Perhaps I missed it, but it seemed like they only showed them loading or respectively unloading ships.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I read the books many years ago, and by an accident of fate, again just a couple of years ago. This movie was far better than the David Lynch abomination. I watched it at home (I hate theaters, their sound systems suck and they play it way too loud) and the sound was amazing too. Huge dynamic range, crystal clear, perfect tonal balance & voicing. I'm looking forward to the next one.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I read the books many years ago, and by an accident of fate, again just a couple of years ago. This movie was far better than the David Lynch abomination. I watched it at home (I hate theaters, their sound systems suck and they play it way too loud) and the sound was amazing too. Huge dynamic range, crystal clear, perfect tonal balance & voicing. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Regardless of me disagreeing about Lynch, you're third in a row, or even fourth mentioning the sound of cinemas. I completely agree with this. Funny how it was home audio going after theater standards only to have theater standards sadly falling behind.

Few of my friends admitted putting cotton balls in their ears or roll small paper balls out of handkerchiefs to put in their ears. This is just sad. Who in hell thinks this is why you go to theaters?? (Well, my answer it's immersion, but I gave up on criticizing it.)

Now comes the punch line...

All this I said refers to venues that are NOT Extreme (I hope they're called that in US so you'll understand). Extreme venues are those where they really crank it up. o_O

Last edited:

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but I would have liked to see some awesome interstellar travel with those things! Perhaps I missed it, but it seemed like they only showed them loading or respectively unloading ships.
Doesn't the Lynch flick have a scene where the Guild navigator is folding space? Seems to ring a bell.

Anyway, presumably the Guild liners don't travel through space but move directly from origin to destination.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
Anyway, presumably the Guild liners don't travel through space but move directly from origin to destination.
True, and both movies portray this in different ways, each consistent with the book (folding space, not traveling through space).

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Few of my friends admitted putting cotton balls in their ears or roll small paper balls out of handkerchiefs to put in their ears. This is just sad. Who in hell thinks this is why you go to theaters?? (Well, my answer it's immersion, but I gave up on criticizing it.) ...
Musician's earplugs are the answer. Deep custom molds that go almost up to the eardrum, which eliminates occlusion, with attenuating filters having relatively flat frequency response. The effect is to turn down the volume without muffling the sound. It works just as well for flutists sitting right in front of the trumpets in band, as it does in movie theaters that play the soundtrack at a zillion decibels.

symphara

Doesn't the Lynch flick have a scene where the Guild navigator is folding space? Seems to ring a bell.

Yes the Lynch movie spent screen time on the travel part, whereas in the new one they just seem to have ships going in or out of the liner. Looked awesome but left me wanting a bit more.

LightninBoy

Yes the Lynch movie spent screen time on the travel part, whereas in the new one they just seem to have ships going in or out of the liner. Looked awesome but left me wanting a bit more.

Producer: "Hey, Lynch, we need to visually represent the complex math and the spice fueled prescience the Guild navigators use to fold space/time"
Lynch: "No problem, lets just show a laser firing from his ass".
Producer: "Brilliant!"

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a masterpiece like every other Villeneuve movie
Bought it and watched it yesterday. Yes! A masterpiece. Villeneuve is a Master cinematographer/Director/Artist. Many of his movies deserve re-watching. Sicario and Arrival are among the best movies of the past 10 years.

Surround Effects are in my opinion too subdued. The dialogue level is too low in the center channel, so that I had to raise it 6 dB. Dialogue became better, but the soundstage, sense of immersion and sound directionality were lost. Low dialog level is most unwelcome and a bizarre trend in movies these days. The low bass is there in drove and the Hans Zimmer score is good... The pace is slow, not hurried and movies feels like it shouldn't end, so enjoyable it is ... Pleased with my purchase. I will re-watch it

Strangely, the Villeneuve adaptation has had me reconsider my dismissal of the 1984 David Lynch's Dune... It wasn't so bad:).

Top Bottom