• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

David Lynch's Dune 1984 - that beautiful glorious diasaster

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was some narrated back story at the beginning of the DVD releases, not sure if it was called a director cut or what. I don't know if that's the one they're talking about.

Edit: it wasn't a director cut just called the extended version.

Last edited:

AdrianusG

The only good part about Dune 1984 for me is the soundtrack!,
I'm gonna leave it at that.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just going to reiterate that I like the 'Dune' miniseries (2000) the best as a reflection of the book itself. I like the follow-on 'Children of Dune' miniseries too ... but then I was/am a hardcore Dune lover.

... That is, a lover of the first three Dune novels, (Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune), not so much those that followed.

JSmith

Master Contributor
https://www.tiktok.com/video/7342308364329782574
1709691243236.png

JSmith

Andysu

Major Contributor
don't me started , its happened on dune , 2nd
rubbish , utter rubbish for £16 , daylight robbery

first rubbish dune , skipped though it , to end credits , 5.1 amazon , then switched it off , seeing hans zimmer can't mix music at equal levels across the LCR center was like -15dB down , where's the art in the mixing gone ? he's overrated

hardly watched it or cared for it
dragged out by friends that kidnapped me force me to dune it , kidding , i did walk out on it after 14 mins and walked around cinema , bh2 odeon bournemouth , look at the state of the other 9 screens , was in screen 9 dolby 7.1 guess they have CP750 in all other screens and CP850 screen 10 insense deafening dolby labs with odeon deafening policy , i mean it was deafening SPL dB offensive ! off putting ! plus lousy hollywood sound mix by mixers , utter waste of time , LCR was boring for foley panning effects , ( no epic grand directional dialog , 146 mins of boring centre dialog dribble )

yeah it had bass , nowhere near or close to CIC/UCI high wycombe THX screen 1 of the late 80/90's

JBL standard can't tell what stage channels of three way
JBL 9310 x8 back wall and i think ikt was dark in there , x8 each sidewall
JBL 5628 ultra low extreme power subs x2 of the duel 18" i saw i have same impressed with those ( less impressed with stage channels too deafening need audio limiters on those MF HF horns to clamp down at least in deafening action fake dynamics of -15dB to lower that dbA weighting level down ! )

JBL 9310 guess cost £14.6k
JBL screen stage ?
JBL subs each £3.3k £6.6k
i guess QSC amps and that's going to be tens thousands
digital server DCP
CP750
digital projector expensive
guess actual screen itself must be a little over £1m

sound mix 7.1 was utter rubbish , so atmos must be even utterly rubbish , all i heard was up front noise , not sound mixng art , no , just noise !

i walked out at least 4 times ? while my friends had their ears perforated by deafeness ! i had to wear earplugs or brief cover my ears with my fingers , really now

never again going back to this cinema to watch woke brand new , utter rubbish ever again

camera phone only has mono mic , not the level increase on dolby 7.1 trailer automatic fader is raised to " 7" 85dB then plastered with another ad , that is incorrect cinema ! should go to bbfc and feature that's how i projected +30 years ago ay UCI and lastly warner bros , cinema isn't cinema anymore , its become actual home cinema !

walked out had tour around all rest of the screens

again walked out of screen 9 , walked into screen 10 insense that makes no sense expect the extreme beyond deafness ! of its rubbish dolby atmos ! pity JBL being wasted on this rubbish , whoever set those JBL up and did the EQ needs to climb off their ego and fit some sodden , audio limiters in these screens !

end credits hans zimmer boring rubbish music ! sounds like he never changes , music deafening on LR centre seems muted or is mixed down at -15dB ! so all one would hear is audio masking effect ! surrounds zones 7.1 was extremely deafening! while walking around , surrounds are far too close to back row seating , this isn't cinema ! the back row should be at least few meters 2.5 meters clearance distance , plus it over drowned screen levels which would make it sound very distant sounding

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
We watched part 2 in the theater last night. Overall it was great. Of course they change the novel's storyline as all movies do, some more than others. And they skip stuff as you simply can't fit a big novel like that into a movie. But I thought they did a great job in writing, direction and production. It was quite long (about 2h 40m) but I never got impatient, was wanting to see more all the way through. Way better than that "beautiful glorious disaster" from the 1980s.

The sound quality was poor. The movie theater was way too loud (as most are). This movie has wide dynamic range and they cranked it up so that even the quietest parts were moderately loud. So of course the loud parts were overbearing and grossly distorted. The bass was big and deep but bloated, uneven and distorted. We are spoiled by the crisp clean audio at home. I can't wait to get the BluRay and actually hear it properly.

jsilvela

After renting out Dune Part 2, I think the 1984 Dune by Lynch should get a lot more respect, maybe even a revival for a new generation of filmgoers.
In fact I hope Lynch sees the Villeneuve Dune and starts looking at his own with kinder eyes as a result.

Dune 2 has a lot of ingenuity behind it, many good ideas. But it goes from plot point to plot point with little in the way of wonder or joy.
I only see some sense of enjoyment in Austin Butler, playing Feyd.

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i actually like 'new' Dune quite a bit more than I thought... or want to

I'm a 1984 Lynch McLachlan diehard but there is something good about this new one

however yes, i also beleive the new one is strangely quite 'leadened'.. its shot like a 'documentary'...

it floats from scene to scene like as if everyone already knows the Dune lore back to front

the scene with Jamis is one

I also think the characters and casting in Dune Denis edition is well off... i dont mind Chalamet... he's actually quite ok here but ok in a Sony game 'main character'... he looked like he stepped off the set of an American rom com... he's pretty... like a young Patrick Dempsey.

I dont feel it with anyone else. Lady Jessica doesnt hit like Francesca Annis.

yeah its a tough one because the cast of the 1984 version is truly once in several generations... they are all masters in the field but this new one???

javier bardem right? in the Everett McGill role? its not the same... and bardem is usually great

the harkonnens here suck... they have no personality

Top Bottom