• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dune 2021

Darc

In my opinion the movie is very good - not brilliant but very good. That's a nice change, because for the last few years most movies have been good at best, and most are bad. Very nice shots, great casting - finally a good film adaptation of the book. After watching the movie, I felt unsatisfied and wanted to see the next part

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just saw it on a regular blu-ray (not 4K). I had to wait for a wife and kid to leave the house so I could turn up the volume (-18 - 15 on Denon). As FrantzM mentioned, the center channel level was down and I had to turn up the volume to hear voices. Then, when the action started, I got blown away by the loud sound and had to turn it down.
Very impressive move! It exceeded my expectations. Looking forward to the second part. :)

Andysu

Major Contributor
disappointing L C R the music like many other with other directors , zimmer doesn't use the L C R effectively the C is so quiet the L R is drowning out the C the whole music mix is , rubbish . wow i spend , we all spend out on Dolby 5.1 and zimmer is mixing the L C R lousy . i got more less fed up with , hans zimmer now that i will not buy any new movie were he has done music for .

the issue is with following that i can see the VU LED levels on my Sony SDDS D3000
inception , blu
dunkirk , uhd
interstellar , blu

streamed " dune " 2021 and utter rubbish . rather listen to the original with no music/score issues of reducing music in centre channel . or totally drowning it out with L R , seems have equal smooth balance . where dune 2021 is lousy LCRS LFE balance with all this , atmos rubbish .

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
zimmer doesn't use the L C R effectively the C is so quiet the L R is drowning out the C the whole music mix is , rubbish
I hate mixes like that (Kansas The Absence Of Prescence, Pink Floyd Animals 2018). However is this Zimmer's fault? Does he actually do the MIXING? I kind of think not. Does somebody else mix, from his composition?

Andysu

Major Contributor
I hate mixes like that (Kansas The Absence Of Prescence, Pink Floyd Animals 2018). However is this Zimmer's fault? Does he actually do the MIXING? I kind of think not. Does somebody else mix, from his composition?
so you've noticed this as well . maybe someone else is doing the music/scoring mixing ? what does imdb show ?

maybe bu not certain ?
Alan Meyerson music scoring mixer

movies have on laserdisc dvd hd-dvd vhs d-theater d-vhs , blu uhd
zimmer *

*thelma & louise dvd
*backdraft laserdisc dvd blu d-theatre d-vhs
speed ac-3 laserdisc dvd
*crimson tide dts laserdisc dvd blu
*twister
*broken arrow
assassins ac-3 laserdisc
*the rock dvd
face/off ac-3 laserdisc dvd
*the peacemaker dvd , d-theatre d-vhs
*armageddon dvd blu
antz dvd
deep blue sea dvd
end of days dvd
*gladiator dvd blu
*mission impossible II dvd
pearl harbor dvd
evolution dvd
*black hawk down dvd uhd
the time machine dvd
the bourne identity dvd hd-dvd blu
K-19: the widowmaker dvd
phone booth dvd
solairs dvd
*the tears of the sun dvd blu
the italian job dvd
*the last samurai dvd (hd-dvd rotter)

( Al Clay ... music score mixer
*batman begins ) dvd (hd-dvd rotter) blu

man on fire dvd
catwoman dvd
constantine dvd (hd-dvd rotter)
king kong dvd
*the da vinci code (word is the bbfc had to have the music censored in way , turn down the mix levels for cinema was reported deafening ! ) dvd
the hitcher hd-dvd
*pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest dvd
transformers dvd hd-dvd blu
iron man dvd
*kung fu panda dvd
*the dark knight dvd
the x-files i want to believe dvd blu
angles & demons dvd
*inception blu
tron legacy blu
transformers dark of the moon blu
rise of the planet of the apes blu
*the dark knight rises blu
*man of steel blu uhd
captain phillips blu
*interstellar blu uhd
terminator genisys uhd
*dunkirk uhd
*blade runner 2048 or twelve mins to nine o'clock , uhd
gemini man uhd

*dune steamed it and it was thumbs down

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alan Meyerson music scoring mixer
Pitchforks! Tar and feathers! Although it could be some goof or stupidity at the mastering stage, or maybe they dumped a cinema mix straight to disc untweaked for home.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Pitchforks! Tar and feathers! Although it could be some goof or stupidity at the mastering stage, or maybe they dumped a cinema mix straight to disc untweaked for home.
possible ? thou would prefer theatrical mixes rather than near field home mixes .

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You may but that is the norm. Centre channel is used for mostly dialog and LR is used as stereo soundtrack. Not that any of this is Zimmer's doing. His team sends stems to the sound engineer and it is between him and the director's team that makes the decision.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found the latest movie attempt hugely disappointing. The Lynch version was imperfect but in a single movie it did capture the complexity of the great political tripod of the Spacing Guild, Emperor and Great Houses, with the Bene Gesserit manipulating here, there and everywhere. The conception of the Kwisatch Haderach was as per the book, the significance of mentats was clear, Feyd Rautha was included etc. The latest version loses almost all of the entire political intrigue which is so central to the novel, the Guild are basically ignored, the kwisatch haderach is re-invented as a superbeing, the sand crawler sequence is completely different from the book, Liet's death re-written, details like the significant of the crysknife ignored etc. Sex swapping characters is normal now, but if they do so they should maintain consistency across other characters, Liet was Chani's father, does anyone think Liet in this movie is Chani's mother? Even the name, Liet was the mystery leader of the Fremen and it was not revealed to outsiders that Doctor Keynes was Liet. Then there are some of the characters. Francesca Annis really nailed the regal beauty of Jessica as described in the book, Jessica in the latest film looks and behaves more like a servant. The idea of the sleeper awakening is lost. Duke Leto doesn't remind me of the character in the book in any way, his reaction to Thufir after the assassination attempt on Paul is nothing like the book. I thought the Baron much more convincing in the older movie too, as was Thufir Hawat and Gurney. What I find crazy is the film lost almost all of the nuance and complexity of the book, much of which the Lynch movie did capture, despite being twice as long. It annoys me, I'm a huge fan of both the Asimov Foundation books and Dune, to see them ripped apart by film makers is annoying. If people think they can write a better story that's fine, do their own work but don't try and piggyback their own stories on the back of much loved books. On the upside, although in general I preferred the visual design of the older movie better I did think the ornithopters and shields much better done in the new one.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On the upside, although in general I preferred the visual design of the older movie better I did think the ornithopters and shields much better done in the new one.
That's how film special effects progressed in 37 years. Shame film making in general lost the plot.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It annoys me, I'm a huge fan of both the Asimov Foundation books and Dune, to see them ripped apart by film makers is annoying. If people think they can write a better story that's fine, do their own work but don't try and piggyback their own stories on the back of much loved books. On the upside, although in general I preferred the visual design of the older movie better I did think the ornithopters and shields much better done in the new one.
Man, you must be having a field day with current movies and television shows :) I generally would agree with you here though. Still, I think they made quite an okay movie. Maybe I expect so much worse, that by now, even a little glimmer of hope will satisfy me. Also, it was a very long time ago that I read Dune. I don't remember most of the details. Contrary to many of the current drivel that is supposed to be movie entertainment these days, however, this movie seems to have a mostly coherent story with characters that remain in true to their nature for the duration.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
To me this has the issue where they want to release this movie as two parts and as such, this feels fragmented...

One 'thing' I had is that I dont think the actors were all that impressive in their roles... I kept thinking... Oh this guy is supposed to be Dr. Yeuh Dean Stockwell role... and this was almost the whole movie to me.

I do like the 1984 movie... it had an insanely strong cast... and they really made every role 'POP'... this modern version doesnt.

I think this has similar issues to Bladerunner 2049... the visuals are there, the money spent is obvious and it probably works on a modern audience who hasnt seen the 'originals'... but almost none of these movies are the least bit memorable to me.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Bought it and watched it yesterday. Yes! A masterpiece. Villeneuve is a Master cinematographer/Director/Artist. Many of his movies deserve re-watching. Sicario and Arrival are among the best movies of the past 10 years.

Surround Effects are in my opinion too subdued. The dialogue level is too low in the center channel, so that I had to raise it 6 dB. Dialogue became better, but the soundstage, sense of immersion and sound directionality were lost. Low dialog level is most unwelcome and a bizarre trend in movies these days. The low bass is there in drove and the Hans Zimmer score is good... The pace is slow, not hurried and movies feels like it shouldn't end, so enjoyable it is ... Pleased with my purchase. I will re-watch it

Strangely, the Villeneuve adaptation has had me reconsider my dismissal of the 1984 David Lynch's Dune... It wasn't so bad:).
I had the same experience with the low level dialogue and was under the impression that it had to do with a greater than usual dynamic range in this movie. Could be wrong though.

When the special effects came it blew me away...quite literally

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just watched the UHD bluray in Dolby Vision downmixed by the AVP to 2.1. Great sound, very high dynamic (German track!), but despite high SPL voices were sometimes hard to understand (may be due to hearing loss).

Video on my big screen (100" projection) was excellent despite downscale to 2k (no 4k beamer).

I agree with other comments that one must know the story to enjoy the movie.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
…despite high SPL voices were sometimes hard to understand (may be due to hearing loss).
possibly the reason is the stereo down mix, you hear the centre track mixed with the music & effects Instead of coming from a separate speaker.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
@sarumbear you could be right, although I never had any trouble with low level speech before Dune with my speakers. Maybe someone who heard it with a center channel can share his/her experience?

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@sarumbear you could be right, although I never had any trouble with low level speech before Dune with my speakers. Maybe someone who heard it with a center channel can share his/her experience?
I don't really have a problem with the Dune mix, but somewhat related, I do have a problem with the dialog in The Rookie (TV series), which we successfully fixed using our Denon's "dialog lift" function, available if you select "Option" on the remote.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard it and the voices were intelligible for me (I'm 72+). However, the music & effects are stupidly hight and wall-to-wall. I didn't like that.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really have a problem with the Dune mix, but somewhat related, I do have a problem with the dialog in The Rookie (TV series), which we successfully fixed using our Denon's "dialog lift" function, available if you select "Option" on the remote.
Will that work on a downmix?

Top Bottom