• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dune 2021

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I've seen it tonight. I went to IMAX, but had to watch it in 3D and I don't care much for 3D. I think the movie is great. Superb. Some minor flaws in some characters. I don't like Momoa nor Zendaya and Rebecca Ferguson is a minor nuisance. But those are such minor objections. Overall I enjoyed the movie very much.

It covers a smaller portion of the story than the 84' version but in more details. There was no character of Alia, perhaps due to the fact it's a smaller part of the story.

I really have no major objections. One other thing, it felt like a 90 minutes film. It flew by.

LATER EDIT: Oh, one more thing, there's very little hand held camera (which I despise as a technique) relative to other modern movies.

elvisizer

I don't like Momoa nor Zendaya
i'm reserving judgment on Zendaya until we actually get to the part of the story where she's a character instead of a dream vision.
There was no character of Alia, perhaps due to the fact it's a smaller part of the story.
yeah at the point where the movie ends she hasn't been born yet

elvisizer

2. Why did they make Liet Kynes a woman? Are there not enough strong female characters in the book? Bene Geserit are like superheroes not to mention Lady Jessica and Chani. Was this only for the sake of change or every movie now has a department for political correctness? Making Kynes a woman did not bring anything to better the story.
is there some cap on number of strong female characters that can exist? Sure it doesn't necessarily add to the story but it doesn't detract either, so who cares if it's politically correct or not? They probably just wanted to cast that actor in the role. <shrug>

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
is there some cap on number of strong female characters that can exist? Sure it doesn't necessarily add to the story but it doesn't detract either, so who cares if it's politically correct or not? They probably just wanted to cast that actor in the role. <shrug>
No cap, but it was unnecessary (doesn't add value), doesn't stay true to the source material, and as a political point to me it feels preachy and condescending.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
2. Why did they make Liet Kynes a woman? Are there not enough strong female characters in the book? Bene Geserit are like superheroes not to mention Lady Jessica and Chani. Was this only for the sake of change or every movie now has a department for political correctness? Making Kynes a woman did not bring anything to better the story.
Totally agree. It's a cheap shot aimed at pleasing feeble minded. Director is not a stranger to such cheap shots at all, sadly. But no real damage has been done.

elvisizer

No cap, but it was unnecessary (doesn't add value), doesn't stay true to the source material, and as a political point to me it feels preachy and condescending.
how the hell an actor's GENDER can be preachy and condescending is beyond me.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can see why modern audiences might find the male dominance of some old books jarring, and I get why modern film and TV productions often diversify characters. When done sympathetically in a way which retains the essence of the character I don't really have an issue with it.
In the case of Dune I don't see it is necessary, the cast of characters is already balanced between male and female and the Bene Gesserit sisterhood are manipulating everyone. Herbert's story was well ahead of its time in many ways, the culture of the Dune galaxy fuses both strands of Western Christianity in an orange Catholic Bible and then makes it largely an offshoot of Islam (who in the 1960's would have reacted to jihad the way a modern reader will?), the oppressed Fremen, the importance of planetary ecology etc, it remains a truly remarkable book. Not just perhaps the greatest science fiction book but one of the greatest novels of any genre.

SaltyCDogg

I saw it at one of the newish Dolby Cinema screens at Odeon Birmingham. Have a good choice round here of IMAX, Isense etc.

Have to say I was super impressed with Dolby Cinema, the picture was much sharper and tons more contrast than IMAX. The sound was incredible, best sound system I've ever heard, Hans Zimmers soundtrack beautifully rendered with every bass note hitting you in the chest. I am sold

killdozzer

Major Contributor
@elvisizer
You seem to have some serious issues, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if you could manage to deal with them on your own. If you can’t, you can start a thread, perhaps in the member area, say what’s eating you and I’ll be happy to put my word in.

Also, you seem to have ascribed yourself some mysterious role which would give you a mandate to tell everyone what they should think and how they should interpret the world around them and you’re doing that while, and this is probably the greatest crime, only thing you can offer is some regurgitated AOC daily dose of mild, luke-warm “PC”.

My observation about “feeble minded” wasn’t aimed at you (at first, I’ve changed my mind in the meantime), since the fact that you stated you didn’t mind the director’s decision I didn’t see as you stating you needed it done that way. I thought you only meant you didn’t mind it.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why even ask this question? Let's face it, it wasn't make-work for black female actors, (or as we used to say, actresses), it's pure political correctness in the current era of the diversity imperative.

So for example you can't watch TV for 1/2 an hour these days with commercials featuring every sort of "visible minority", age, gender including LGBTQ+, and the ubiquitous mixed-race family. If there there are flaws in there diversity salute, it's the under representation of non-English accents, the over representation of Blacks (who tend to be surrogates for other non-white groups), and of course, mixed-race families which, though a real trend in society, and not yet as prevalent as portrayed in the ads. (The over-use of British accents is another trend but I suspect it's for a different agenda than diversity.)

We might like or not like the diversity imperative in media, but in any case we have to suck it up.

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No surprise that a forum filled with old white dudes has a problem when all of the roles in a movie, TV show, or advertisement don't go to other white dudes.
Quality of the actor should be the most important factor, combined with the intended character of the book/script.

Nowadays your skin colour or sex is more important, and that's a bad thing imo.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No surprise that a forum filled with old white dudes has a problem when all of the roles in a movie, TV show, or advertisement don't go to other white dudes.
Yeah, that's always an easy thing to say. I really don't care what colour somebody is, or where he/she/they put their sexual organs from time to time. The fact of the matter is: people get roles because of those things, and in many cases, that is not at all relevant to the story, so please let that not be a criterium then! Are you going to deny that? Then just look at the marketing of the Marvel movie "The Eternals". I just want good acting and a good story.

Top Bottom