• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual DA10004D Review (Car Amplifier)

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually amplifiers are current limited so 4 ohm doesn't do twice as much as 8 ohm. You are voltage limited when the 8 ohm can't do more (reverse logic).
Yes, what I meant was it’s not a surprise to see that. Actually in a car amp at 8 ohms I AM unpleasantly surprised. I’m not so impressed with this Dual failing it’s own power spec. And what is the 2 ohm rating? I think it is fabulous you’re testing car amps but a 2 ohm test load is really a must.

Dumdum

Be real interesting to see those monstrous multi-KW class D sub amps on test here. Those things have a bizarre tendency to blow up - judging by how much work that dude BareVids on youtube has.
I feel I need to explain somewhat now I’ve thought about this some more…

The amps are… put bluntly… abused pretty much, low impedence (often below rated but then impedence rise lowered the current demands when playing… but some people play music also and with the impedence dropping and rising things go bang) and hours of near full pelt heat soak (some are labelled as competition only for just this reason, but people still use them for music and daily use)

Plus Sam is the only guy that will touch these type of amps in the U.K. so it’s no surprise he mends a fair few of them

If used normally and not the extreme - for competition only… meaning 5-10 seconds of play at a given freq… then they certainly can and are reliable for the long term, Korean built half bridge designs from the 90’s and 00’s when I was doing db drag at a world level, they lasted very well and as long as they were used correctly all was good!

ClosDeBen

@amirm saw your post earlier on your Sprinter. We just got ours (passenger van) and the sound was so bad I started looking for upgrades and I'm not normally picky about my car audio. I did remove the center speaker. What did you do/would you recommend to do to ours ? This stuff is a slippery slope. Door insulation (elsewhere too ?), amp, dsp, sub ? (ok maybe not all that). It took me a day or two to realize you had reviewed car audio. There's not much good objective reviews out there. Would love at least a component door/dash replacement recommendation. I know it's cramped but I see folks on sprinter-source have managed quite a few options. This amp seems like a good value as part of it. I don't think I'll make it up to a JL DSP outfitted amp.

Top Bottom